Hagi?

I actually didn’t think hagi was to bad tonight he lost the ball a couple of times in the first half but some great movement and positioning , roofe seems to get credit for the same things yet Hagi slammed , the op far to harsh

We need to be patient with him.
This is not the season for him to play for our first team at a consistent 5 out of 10. This season is way too important for that. I can't see him upping his game as the season goes on - we need to upgrade his position during the window.
I hope he does go on to better things but now is not the time to take the chance with him.

Worked hard. Was off the pace. Weve all had poor days at work.
See that is the bit I have trouble with. If you watch Kent out of possession he bursts a gut to get behind the ball. If you watch Hagi he just jogs about looking lost. That is where he has to improve.

Every time someone starts a thread on Hagi, we are met with lots defending him and saying he is still young or he’s only 21?

He has been playing professional football for 5 years, he has featured in different leagues across Europe and he is a full internationalist, we aren’t talking about some inexperienced 17 year old playing in another country for the first time here.

I think the continual references to his age are tiresome.
For me Hagi & Kamara are both pretty inconsistent, but when they play their best they look top class.

They aren't that young, but at same time when you look at the number of starts they have in their career I think it's fair to say they are both still learning their trade.

Don't think it's unreasonable for people to think they still have room for growth & if they do find that consistency they are going to be stars for us.

One of Hagi's biggest flaws is the success of the Braga game.

He came in, had this amazing moment turning round that game for us, creating a european moment and having his "Ibrox, baby" quote.

He showed what he can do with time and confidence, but now fans expect it every game. So as a young player who will have lapses or off games, some fans can't accept he's still learning.

Victim of his own successful start in a way.

Branding him "rubbish" is harsh. He's perhaps inconsistent but we have to remember he's only 21.

FWIW I think he gets an easier ride than others because of who his dad and some people are desparate for him to be as good eventually. But I actually think that's good if it stops people giving him pelters every time he loses the ball or doesn't track back.

Not that it’ll stop the usual mob from thinking he’s garbage and wanting him replaced but, he’s 21 and we need to give him time.

The talent is clearly there but it just isn’t happening at the moment.

Give Hagi the time, keep patience with him and he will be excellent for us.

He has some lovely touches and has a clever football brain. If he can put half a stone on and sharpen up by a yard (if possible) he’ll bring us a good fee.

He’s young and we need to be patient as we can’t expect too much of him too soon.

Also, he’s got good, very good and excellent midfielders on the playing and coaching staff to learn from. He’ll come good - no doubt in my mind.

So you are expecting the finished article at 21 then?? Not many 21 year olds play first team football.

Not expecting the finished article, but we aren’t dealing with a wet behind the ears 17 year old kid, the boy has proved he can play, his continual poor performances are perplexing.

As for the not many 21 year olds play football? There are literally dozens of players all over Europe, 21 and under playing regularly,

Thank god Ibrox is empty for now or he'd be getting dogs abuse every week.

Yes you can imagine the abuse he would be getting.

Im going to be honest I never seen a great deal to be excited about with him while on loan and wasn’t overly convince the way some were when we went to sign him.

The Braga game has done him wonders in a game he was very poor for 65 minutes and the second goal was as much mine as it was ( slight exaggeration )

As others have said we need to give him time and hope his decision making etc improves with games

Last edited:
I like him,he needs to play as a 10 which doesn't really suit our play at the moment, but I want to see him and Aribo play in midfield.

I'm meaning by replacing Hagi with Jones, the system can remain the same? I don't understand you point with midfielders, as neither are?
Hagi plays behind the strike
I'm meaning by replacing Hagi with Jones, the system can remain the same? I don't understand you point with midfielders, as neither are?
the system will always be the same, more or less
4-2-3-1 with Hagi in the 3

Finds a lot of space, always got his hand up looking for the ball, like his movement around the box.
Would like to see him getting the ball more around the 30 yard line where he just has to make a bit of space for himself he’s not shy at taking a few strides with the ball & having a crack at goal especially when we were running the ball all the way into a packed box time after time without any joy, reckon he could be the one in the team that could give us those SG goals we’re craving.

Hagi and Barisic were the only 2 that looked startled by the occasion. They both relaxed a bit after we went 2 up.

Startled by what occasion? Both have played in far bigger games, a number of times. Any poor performance was certainly not a cause of the occasion.

We need to be patient with him.

Completely agree mate, he will come good. Absolutely positive of it. Fact of the matter is though, this season is very important. We were patient with Kent and Borna and it's rewarding for us, but silverware has to be delivered this year otherwise everything is up in the air.

I think at times he looks a very frustrated player lacking confidence, sometimes players need a cuddle or a kick up the arse, In hagi's case i think a bit of both is required. For the money we shelled out for him i expected a bit more and he frustrates me at times.

Never hides, playing out of position, still young and gaining experience. Give the boy a break. At times he plays some amazing passes. He should be supported by Rangers supporters.
Agreed, I like the lad. Bags of ability, great attitude but still a bit raw.

Good win but rode our luck first half and it could've been a tighter scoreline if Willem had their shooting boots on, Greegsy in goals helped enormously.
Barasic hardly put a decent cross in all night and Hagi spent a lot of time on his arse as usual.
Other than that the team were very good
Well done lads

Be a bit awkward next week in the Hagi household given his old man used to play for the Turks. One of our ex players Tugay used to play for them also.

I can see what Hagi’s positives are, but the negatives are far outweighing them at the moment.
The amount of times he surrenders possession is far too high. He is also miles too slow in almost everything he does.
Honestly felt that Jones offered more in 10-15 mins than Hagi did the whole game.
I’d rather see Jones get the opportunities Hagi gets at the moment.

I would almost guarantee that come the Celtic game, Hagi won’t be in the team.
We can’t have a passenger in that game.

I thought Hagi grew into the game last night, his part in the build up for the penalty shows the ability and football brain the boy has. Yes can be slow in moving the ball sometimes but has all the tools and to be fair never hides always looking for the ball. Just need to be patient with him, could be one of those players that frustrates you for most of game then comes up with bit of magic that leads to goal. Exactly the type of player we have needed to add to the team/squad over last 2 seasons to improve our creative side.

Perhaps better playing in a Davis role - I think he will come good - but fir now he’s frustrating

What does people expect from hagi??? Some of his passes he is the only player who could make them. Dundee united for kent ill use. Hibs at Ibrox last year, braga at Ibrox. Of the top of my head and im unsure of this 1 but sure he was involved in the goal at braga. Maybe hasnt started too great. I wouldnt like to see us without goldson,hagi,tav all the whipping boys. Give it a rest man. I want to win as much as anyone in here. We have just went to holland and won 4 nil yet we still have a thread for who was rubbish.

Needs to be playing in the no 10 role with someone either side of him for him to be effective. Our lack of numbers is forcing him to play out of position

Based on a 15 minute run out at 4-0?
Aye, drop one of our few creative players who can make a defence splitting pass for a player who played 15 mins in a game already won?!

Never mind the fact that motherwell will park the bus compared to Willem.

Madness. The Team played well and won. Some fans just seem to need a scapegoat.

He was poor in the first half overall and in the first quarter especially, when he gave the ball away with some sloppy passes. Yet he never hides.

However, he did come onto a better second half, had a couple of bursts through the middle, that resulted in fouls after he was brought down.

Missed a sitter at the end, which would have put a nicer sheen on his display.

Still remains the one midfielder capable of that one killer pass and incisive cute touches that we have already witnessed on countless occasions thus far.

He played much more centrally in the second half and looked better imo

I actually think playing as a false 9, in the Firmino role if you like, might suit him, with Kent and another speed merchant who can score on the right. I don't know if we have that kind of player though, maybe Roofe?

The one thing I will say is though, his first touch needs to be worked on. Sometimes it's great, and then countless other times it will just bounce off him and his 2nd is a tackle. Which for such a technical player that he is its really confusing to work out just why that is the case.

Been saying for weeks he is a project player

his decision making and ball control can be amateur standard then he can do something excellent

looks like last seasons performances were an outlier for me

he should be playing from the bench when everyone is fit

Started poor, came into the game and finished strongly.

4 effective games in a row now for Hagi, but the boo boys need a target.

He was poor in the first half overall and in the first quarter especially, when he gave the ball away with some sloppy passes. Yet he never hides.

However, he did come onto a better second half, had a couple of bursts through the middle, that resulted in fouls after he was brought down.

Missed a sitter at the end, which would have put a nicer sheen on his display.

Still remains the one midfielder capable of that one killer pass and incisive cute touches that we have already witnessed on countless occasions thus far.
This is the definitive summing up of Hagi right now.

He has an abundance of talent and is capable of becoming a very big player for us. We need to be patient with him and be grateful we have a player with his amount of ability at our disposal. Still a work in progress but I'm glad he's ours.

Never hides. Takes a few hits, doesn’t always gets the decisions. Wins us free kicks. He’s doing alright.

Back