Hagi?

Overall this season has been disappointing however still young and there is ability there which he needs to compensate for lack of pace.
The Hagi name must be a huge one to live up to , let’s hope he kicks on.

Rubbish, rotten, shite.....

I really don’t see it that way at all.

The lad picks up great positions, draws numerous fouls per game, and is guaranteed to provide the moment that no one else in our team has the imagination or vision for - a reverse pass, a flick etc...

He hasn’t dominated a game yet, and he is clearly still learning his own game and the pace of the Scottish game. But he never ever hides, and - so evident last night - always makes himself available for the pass and wants the ball.

He has good numbers on assists already this season, has scored in the league, and will get better.

The kid isn’t there yet, and needs to continue improving, but he is no passenger, he can’t be criticised for attitude, application, or courage, and he shows enough imagination and endeavour to make me think he will do just fine.

A very accurate summary.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into it but I noticed Morelos celebrating goals by the other players last night, quite unlike him. Somebody's maybe had a word.

On the other hand, Hagi didn't really. Not that I think he doesn't care, I think he's got a bit of a downer on himself right now and his performances. Good man-management required.

His name gives him a high profile and that attracts extra attention from opponents. But that means less attention on others and I think Kent has benefitted as a result. However, in some games we might have to sacrifice him for a more defensive player. Last night Arfield and Kamara did a very good job supporting our full-backs but that left Davis to protect the centre of our defence on his own and Willem created chances by coming through the middle. Against better European teams that could be a problem.

Looks that way.

Kent and Aribo have both been written off on here along similar lines though so no doubt young Hagi will prove them wrong also
Anyone who writes off Joe Aribo as a footballer is clueless and shouldn’t be listened to. The same applies to anyone with a hard on for poo pooing Ryan Kent.

A thought - on the match thread last night he was getting murdered while posters were waxing lyrical about pundit Craig Moore.

Anyone who watched Craig Moore as a developing young player...

Give the lad some time. More than earning his corn. Players like this rarely play at full pelt for 90 mins and everything is perfect. It's the nature of being creative. You try stuff other players can't event think of. Some work, some don't. You try again. Didn't watch the game but from what I have seen of him this season he is worth sticking with.

I think Hagi is wasted standing with his back to goal, having a pass drilled into him, waiting to be whacked from behind by some Neanderthal then trying to control it and pass it back to where it just came from. He’s better than that, but spends a lot of the game doing this.
I doubt that’s what he wants to be doing.

Looks.liike a really good 5 aside player/ fusball player.
Hopefully he can become a really good football player for us.

He’s played 10 games in all comps so far and has 1 goal and 4 assists. Had the finishing for the chances he’s put on a plate for players been better, he’d be on almost double that. Been unlucky with his chances too in that goalies have made tremendous saves against him.

He will comfortably get double figures in both categories, and should he move inside to the 10 (his actual position) when Aribo returns, he’ll produce even more.

The lad picks up great positions, draws numerous fouls per game, and is guaranteed to provide the moment that no one else in our team has the imagination or vision for - a reverse pass, a flick etc...

He hasn’t dominated a game yet, and he is clearly still learning his own game and the pace of the Scottish game. But he never ever hides, and - so evident last night - always makes himself available for the pass and wants the ball.

He has good numbers on assists already this season, has scored in the league, and will get better.

The kid isn’t there yet, and needs to continue improving, but he is no passenger, he can’t be criticised for attitude, application, or courage, and he shows enough imagination and endeavour to make me think he will do just fine.

I see a lot of similarities between fans' attitudes towards Kent last season and Hagi right now.

The abuse of Kent was over the top because certain supporters expected him to come in and play like he's playing now. That was because of the price tag. His age and lack of a pre-season meant it wasn't going to happen.

If you look at Hagi's last 5 games — Willem II, Hibs, Red Imps, Dundee United and Hamilton — his stats aren't too bad. He scored against Hamilton, got a couple of assists against Dundee United and then another assist against Hibs. He played well in the second half last Sunday. He should have scored on Thursday.

Kent, even when he was supposedly playing poorly last year, was still impacting games, whether with a goal or creating a chance. Hagi is similar in that regard. That's all I really ask for from creative players at 21. That they contribute. Consistency over the course of 90 minutes comes later. As Gerrard said on Aribo, that's what real quality players do — they affect matches constantly.

Kent done it; Aribo looks to have done it; and Hagi has plenty of time on his side to level up and do it. For now, he's far from being a passenger.

There was an alarming thread on here yesterday where a poster was talking about how fans being demanding (see overly critical) was a sign that Rangers are properly back. It's complete nonsense. Back when we were throwing big money around, one might be entitled to expect their players to hit the ground running, but the club is now in a different place. There needs to be a recalibration of how we're appraising these types of signing — Itten being another — because news flash, we won't be in the market for finished products any time soon.

Every time someone starts a thread on Hagi, we are met with lots defending him and saying he is still young or he’s only 21?

He has been playing professional football for 5 years, he has featured in different leagues across Europe and he is a full internationalist, we aren’t talking about some inexperienced 17 year old playing in another country for the first time here.

I think the continual references to his age are tiresome.

How about the continual references to the number of assists he is racking up, the fact he hadn't kicked a ball in anger for 6 months and comes back in a high pressure year and still has the balls to play crazy stupid passes? How about the fact that although many times they don't come off... But when they do, each time it leads to a great goal scoring opportunity?

It doesn't work every time, but he is certainly playing an important role in breaking down the packed defences.

Love the boy. We should enjoy him while we have him. He'll get a big big move if we don't break his spirit... And make us a lot of money to reinvest!

He will relish the game against Gala with his Dad's previous connections etc ,pity it's not a 2 legged game playing in front of sell out crowd

Some fans definitely let his surname and fee create a rose tinted view of his performances. He’s not playing well, end of story. I don’t think he’s the world beater you’d think he was the way some folk bang on about him either, that was his dad, he’s a young player who was patched by a half decent Belgian side. He needs a spell on the bench because we can’t afford to go on with these types of performances when everyone has to pull their weight, after all we’ve got trophies to compete for.

Yeah there’s clearly ability there, he’s shown it and we all know he’s got one or two qualities the rest of our side don’t, but fleeting glimpses of it in the odd game isn’t enough so he really needs to step it up big time. Personally I felt sorry for him at Easter road because he actually came into that game in the second half, was affecting it in our favour and for some reason found himself being hooked.

Last edited:
If we won the cl, there would be some on here complaining about something.

If not the players, it would be the behaviour of some fans. Try a laid back attitude, it will work wonders, physically and mentally.

Some fans definitely let his surname and fee create a rose tinted view of his performances. He’s not playing well, end of story. I don’t think he’s the world beater you’d think he was the way some folk bang on about him either, that was his dad, he’s a young player who was patched by a half decent Belgian side. He needs a spell on the bench because we can’t afford to go on with these types of performances when everyone has to pull their weight, after all we’ve got trophies to compete for.

Yeah there’s clearly ability there, he’s shown it and we all know he’s got one or two qualities the rest of our side don’t, but fleeting glimpses of it in the odd game isn’t enough so he really needs to step it up big time. Personally I felt sorry for him at Easter road because he actually came into that game in the second half, was affecting it in our favour and for some reason found himself being hooked.
Exactly the way I see it, and said as much in a previous post in this thread.

I don't like to go on and highlight the poor things, but the most annoying thing for me is the amount of times he surrenders possession, whilst just looking weak and slow.
We constantly heard how Ross McCrorie wasn't good enough because of his inability to keep possession. I'd wager Ross never gave the ball away in any game as much as Hagi has been doing in the last few games, and yet Hagi's ability is far greater than McCrorie's.

I don't like to go on and highlight the poor things, but the most annoying thing for me is the amount of times he surrenders possession, whilst just looking weak and slow.
We constantly heard how Ross McCrorie wasn't good enough because of his inability to keep possession. I'd wager Ross never gave the ball away in any game as much as Hagi has been doing in the last few games, and yet Hagi's ability is far greater than McCrorie's.

It’s definitely a problem. For the most part he likes to slow things down and take his time on the ball, he’s slow to run, and he’s weak, neither of those are ideal for the fast paced kick and rush shite you get in our league.

They can be overcome, but people need to grow up and cut the “whipping boy” nonsense. Hes nothing of the sort and I’d say he gets a lot more protection than most. I get that he’s young and time is on his side, but time isn’t on our side so he can’t keep underperforming every week while we just wait for it to click, because that’ll end up costing us.

The lad needs to be playing centrally on the edge of the opposition’s box. He will destroy teams in time if we can bed him in there.

I think he will struggle being played out wide where he has to work harder or if he’s being asked to drop deeper to get on the ball or track runners, as was happening for spells the other night. That is why sorting out that platform in the middle of the pitch is still a crucial issue for me. Get that right and between Kent, Alfie, Hagi, Aribo, Roofe, Defoe, Itten etc we have firepower enough to hurt any team. We need that platform though.

Bang in the money

The lad needs to be playing centrally on the edge of the opposition’s box. He will destroy teams in time if we can bed him in there.

I think he will struggle being played out wide where he has to work harder or if he’s being asked to drop deeper to get on the ball or track runners, as was happening for spells the other night. That is why sorting out that platform in the middle of the pitch is still a crucial issue for me. Get that right and between Kent, Alfie, Hagi, Aribo, Roofe, Defoe, Itten etc we have firepower enough to hurt any team. We need that platform though.

Bar the first 20 minutes or so on Thursday he didn't really play wide though, he was mostly more central. Just as he has been in most games this season - with or without Aribo in the team. None of the three we play behind Morelos are tied to their starting position, they all interchange constantly, particularly Hagi and Kent.

As others have said, he's not got great pace but I wouldn't describe him as 'slow' I also don't agree with those saying he's not strong enough, I think he is more than strong enough and regularly does well to hold players off and shield the ball. His form has been up and down but I think that's the nature of the beast. Partly because he's a young lad and partly because that's what you tend to get from your 'flair' players. He's there to play the risky passes and to take chances. Most won't work - but if one does it leads to the sort of chance we saw for Arfield at Easter Road. TBH the player himself looks frustrated at his performances - had he put away the late chance on Thursday it would have done him the World of good.

It's a shame there is so few options to take him out for a bit. Great wee player on his day and all the potential in the world but I do think he needs eased in.

Exactly how I see it too. Unquestionably room for improvement and more consistency required but more than pulling his own weight as it is. Joint top assists in the league (more than Kent or Barisic) and a goal to his name as well whilst rarely seeing out the 90. Yet the 'get rid' crew, who would've sold Morelos for our money back, or slightly less, not so long ago, have the pitchforks out already and itching for him to fail same as they did with Kent and Barisic. Bizarre.

Exactly how I see it too. Unquestionably room for improvement and more consistency required but more than pulling his own weight as it is. Joint top assists in the league (more than Kent or Barisic) and a goal to his name as well whilst rarely seeing out the 90. Yet the 'get rid' crew, who would've sold Morelos for our money back, or slightly less, not so long ago, have the pitchforks out already and itching for him to fail same as they did with Kent and Barisic. Bizarre.

I can only guess that the expectations of Hagi were sky high pre season.

I’d love to see more from the lad - and think there is more to come. But what we are getting from him at the moment is justifying his selection for me.

i think he's not sure what position he's meant to be playing , in possession he looks decent enough but its out of possession he looks a bit lost . ability is not in doubt but it might take a wee while to find his best position , i think he could be a ready made replacement for Davis but the gaffer will know a lot more than i do where he fits into the team

I agree about not being sure about his position and that's not really a surprise. The inter-changing of Kent, Hagi, Kamara, Arfield and Davis, not to mention Tav and Borna, confused the h*ll out of Willem so perhaps it's not a surprise it confused some of the players from time to time. Hagi has some lovely touches and I have no doubt he'll be as big for us as Kent is beginning to be. It took Kent some time to get used to us also.

Defended him after the Hibs game but I thought he was really poor on Thursday, sometimes I think we don't utilise him correctly in the 10 role, too many times we get him on the ball too early in the final third when he's very few options (only Morelos) to play a forward pass to. Whereas I would like to see us use him more when we have possession in the final third and get him on the ball as much as possible when we have runners.

I like him as a player and as he’s a relative youngster, I try to so the good and hope any negatives can be ironed out.

Some of his passing is sublime and has led to goals in the last couple of leaghe games.

I'm just going to say it. The boy needs to man up a bit and grow into that jersey.

He's got that pretty boy look about him which attracts the thuggish behaviour of so many of this league's cloggers. He's a terrific young talent with two great feet but really needs to start stamping his authority on games by standing his ground more. If he can learn to protect the ball and find some upper body strength it will go a long way to making his mark with us.

For me the main problem with Hagi seems to be he's expecting to be clattered now and If anything looks a little intimidated and introverted because of that. Clearly our shocking refs offer precious little protection for players like him so he needs to adapt his game to suit. Also, I think he's very much a confidence player and if he gets that going I believe there are goals in him as well.

I'd like to see more of that Barry Ferguson attitude if you like with Hagi where by he knows he's superior technically and can keep opponents at arms length. We all know you have limited time to succeed at Rangers but I'd really love this guy to find his feet consistently with us because there is no doubt he has a lot to offer us creatively.

I'm just going to say it. The boy needs to man up a bit and grow into that jersey.

He's got that pretty boy look about him which attracts the thuggish behaviour of so many of this league's cloggers. He's a terrific young talent with two great feet but really needs to start stamping his authority on games by standing his ground more. If he can learn to protect the ball and find some upper body strength it will go a long way to making his mark with us.

For me the main problem with Hagi seems to be he's expecting to be clattered now and If anything looks a little intimidated and introverted because of that. Clearly our shocking refs offer precious little protection for players like him so he needs to adapt his game to suit. Also, I think he's very much a confidence player and if he gets that going I believe there are goals in him as well.

I'd like to see more of that Barry Ferguson attitude if you like with Hagi where by he knows he's superior technically and can keep opponents at arms length. We all know you have limited time to succeed at Rangers but I'd really love this guy to find his feet consistently with us because there is no doubt he has a lot to offer us creatively.

Analysis paralysis.

Yes you can imagine the abuse he would be getting.

Im going to be honest I never seen a great deal to be excited about with him while on loan and wasn’t overly convince the way some were when we went to sign him.

The Braga game has done him wonders in a game he was very poor for 65 minutes and the second goal was as much mine as it was ( slight exaggeration )

As others have said we need to give him time and hope his decision making etc improves with games
The current opinion on Hagi is we can develop him.
let's start by developing him to stay on his feet, and not his backside, also develop him to make sure his second touch is not mostly always a tackle.
I hope he can progress,but up until now,what I've seen, doesn't fill me with confidence for the future.

He is young, a bit inconsistent and with lots of developing to do. With continued development and once he finds his feet in our game we have a star player on our hands, until then we will have to accept he isn't going to deliver every time he gets the ball.. Has already given us some great moments and he is only going to get better..

Back