Hagi

I thought hagi had a poor game tonight.

i wouldn’t be playing him on Sunday, i would sooner have Jones in for him for 2 reasons:

1 - his pace and how direct he is

2 - he knows the surface and has played on it many of times

thoughts?
Jones and Stewart are well used to that pitch

Hagi is on the park to take risks so will have games where he loses possession a lot. He has incredible vision, never hides and always looks for a forward pass.

I don't see any point of playing Jones on Sunday though, they will be backs to the wall with nowhere for Jones to run into. Hagi or Aribo much more likely to unlock their defence.

Sunday requires our best available 11 for the job and Jones for me is nowhere near one of those 11.

He’s had a few indifferent games recently. We improved a great deal when he went off.
Yes there’s the occasional flash of brilliance, but what does he give for the other 85 minutes. In saying that Davy Cooper did this many times,
I think he is work in progress, not an automatic starter at the moment.
Probably trying too hard tonight, but with his girlfriend recently arrived in Glasgow, he may be a bit distracted and tired.
He’ll come good.

Last edited:
Hagi is a fine player and will only get better imo tonight he was poor and one mistake led to ten he cannot play on Sunday imo not the game for him.

Wasnt the greatest game for him, never hid kept trying. He'll most likely drop out for a couple of games maybe with a few sub appearances. Aribo to play not Jones, for me.

That was my take on him. I also think in 5 years time we will saying remember he used to play for us as he struts his stuff for a top EPL or European team.

He is already a very important player for us, but give him another few months or so and I think he will be one of the most important players in our starting 11.
I hope you are right....
I'm still not quite sure about the lad.
Wee flashes here and there but I'm wanting an awful lot more.

Hagi was one of the few at half time with pass marks. Him, Kamara, Barasic and Balagoun.

Second half he lost it a few times but he tries balls that nobody else does and he's important for that reason.

I would play him
My thoughts exactly to be fair. There was 3 passes I counted that he tried but didn’t come off, and if they did connect with their target we were away with 2 of them. He’s a little pocket rocket at times, with genius vision at times, or is he being too gallus?

the wee fella is terrific, but tonight it showed that we needed that extra physicality in the game and that’s what’s won us it eventually. That and a wonder cross.

Hagi didn’t play well today but the thugs who play for Killie will kick him all over that plastic pitch on Sunday

He'll have games like that but it only takes one special pass to make the difference which we know he is capable of the performance of many players overall was below the levels set recently but at the end of the day we still got the result we needed

People need to look beyond the contributions with the ball of the full team at the moment. Some players have had a few off games but we are still getting results. The reason for that is that the players are working so hard within the team structure. We don’t have a single player who is letting us down just now. Some don’t hit their peak and some are maybe slightly off form with the ball but all of them are playing their part. I think people also forget that he’s still a young player. As are Kent, Aribo and Barker.

I don’t think any players deserved “dropped” at the moment. We just need to play horses for courses to get the right result. Alfie will 100% play on Sunday and that was decided before he scored tonight.

I think Hagi is my favourite player in this current squad, but tonight just didn't go well for him.

The best thing about our squad now is that we're not totally reliant on him. He can learn from these games, and over the next couple of years he'll improve the way Kent and Aribo have.

I don't think Sunday is likely to suit him so wouldn't expect him to start but I don't think it's a reflection on his performances.

Seems to be an easy target for some but nobody else in the squad has the vision that he does and he'll contribute plenty this season. Already has.

Kent and Roofe weren’t exactly amazing either. Front three and midfield where massively out of sync for most of the match.
Agreed. I thought the whole midfield was a bit off it tonight compared to normal. On Hagi he didn’t have his best game tonight but that’s not why I’d replace him with Aribo on Sunday it’s more around Aribo’s physical presence against the Kellie hammer throwers.

I wouldn't play Hagi or Jones.

I'd play Aribo.

1) Jones' pace would be useless against Killie's low block.

2) with that logic we would start Greg Stewart through the middle...

Hagi was a waste of a jersey tonight and should have been hooked at half-time. Poznan has his number and continually dispossessed him with minimal contact challenges.

He wasn't up to much the night, but neither was the full team. Even if he has games like this, he's still got the eye for a pass and great vision. With the way Kilmarnock play we might need a bit of imagination and a threaded pass

I thought he was alright tonight. The thing with Hagi is he already knows his next pass before he even receives the ball and when it works out it unlocks defences. I think that could be vital on Sunday

We need a player for games like Sundays who can just see that moment to thread a pass in within a confined space. Aribo/Arfield are players who can be in the position for receiving those quick one-twos, maybe Kent too. But who can fill the role of Hagi for setting up those events?

Think this might also be game he’ll be included.

We don't need pace against Kilmarnock. We need someone to play a pass to breakdown a packed defence which Hagi is good at. Not that Jones is pace only, wouldn't be against him starting either.

Like most of the team tonight he wasn't at his best, but the boy never hides. I actually thought Kent was worse tonight.
Also I'm baffled by constant references to his lack of pace, that's not something I ever notice in his play.

i wouldn’t be playing him on Sunday, i would sooner have Jones in for him for 2 reasons:

thoughts?
What doesn't worry me about Hagi is that Gerrard and team have taken players who have showed glimpses to being solid performers.

Kamara, Kent, jack to name a few

He's young and still developing

I think Hagi looks a bit of a luxury player at times. Capable of a bit of magic and very comfortable when we are dominating and controlling games. But doesn’t really do the work off the ball and goes missing far too often.

Every time it pours down in Glasgow the playing surface at Ibrox is terrible. We need to pass the ball crisply as it suits our style. Can this problem be resolved or is it down to the water table?

Was expecting a nonsense post like this, yes 2nd half he was poor but wasnt the only player

He is far more creative than any other player we have

In the second half he consistently lost possession and every time we broke forward he lost the ball

I doubt he’ll start on Sunday

Yes, let's drop the guy with the most assists in the league for our visit to a ground where we notoriously struggle to create chances.

FF likes nothing better than to pile-on one of our own players right after a victory.

He needs more than his dads good stock, which he has in abundance but not consistent enough he falls out of games and gives the ball away far too much. The aptly named Timothy Weah showed daddies name only gets you so far. That said I love the kid, he’s a class act and will work it out in time.

I don't want to put the boy down especially on a night like this. For me though and as Durrant would say he has to do more than improve the team photo.

He's not playing badly but others around him are finding more to give. Hagi needs to find that same level and quickly if he's to nail down a starting place.

In this of all seasons Rangers need everything players can give and I'm sorry but despite the stats he needs to contribute more imo. I'm actually watching that tonight willing him on, hoping hes going to be inventive and influential throughout but is it just me who sees a young man worryingly off the pace. By no means a shite performance by Hagi but I'd suggest another 15- 20% effort will reveal the player we all crave so badly in this Rangers team.

Hagi was one of the few at half time with pass marks. Him, Kamara, Barasic and Balagoun.

Second half he lost it a few times but he tries balls that nobody else does and he's important for that reason.

I would play him
Just goes to show how people view the game differently.

I thought he had a poor first half and I said in the match thread he should have been replaced at HT by Aribo.

Hagi is a quality footballer. Didn't come off for him tonight it happens but look at the work he put in. I bet my last quid no other player on that covered as much ground as him. Let's be patient with him

thoughts?
I don't want to be too critical of the boy, he's talented and he's contributing in other ways & games. My issue with him is he's lightweight and inconsistent. If he can produce the good more regularly then he can afford to drift out of games. Until then, he has to spend time on the bench to earn the jersey again

Unfortunately it just didn't happen for Hagi this evening. His distribution was very poor, by his own standard

Back