Hagi

I think Hagi looks a bit of a luxury player at times. Capable of a bit of magic and very comfortable when we are dominating and controlling games. But doesn’t really do the work off the ball and goes missing far too often.

Not the only person to mention this, but I've replied to yours.

Doesn't work off the ball and goes missing?!? What game are you lot watching. Boy runs himself into ground. Front 3 shift and swap more than anyone else off the ball, Hagi included. He is subbed because he is fucked. Missing, again, do you have your eyes shut?!?! He always and I mean always makes himself available for the ball.

Said in match thread he never had a great game, but he wasn't the worst in blue. Only Barisic and Kamara get a bye tonight, everyone else was effective without being great.

Going back to OP, I would start him Sunday against packed defence, maybe swap Kent out for Jones. Wouldn't risk Aribo on that surface just coming back from injury unless we are a couple up and we use him for ball retention/seeing game out.

Hagi had a stinker tonight but I don't think we should be over hard on him.

We've not had a right lot out of Kenty last two or three games and Alfie has had a string of stinkers.

Brandon Barker also hasn't impressed.

Yet we are still battering on.

Lets re introduce Joe.

He should be ready now.

Pace, strength, quick feet & a great finisher.

He will score.
I’ve never seen a player lose possession of the ball as much as hagi does. He’s still young but he needs to improve.

Very frustrating, but he’s only 22 and is work in progress.

The frustration is because he can produce real quality, yet has games where 5/10 yard passes aren’t executed.

Was expecting a nonsense post like this, yes 2nd half he was poor but wasnt the only player

He is far more creative than any other player we have

There is nothing Hagi can do that Aribo can’t do.

But there’s things Aribo can do that Hagi can’t.

Young lad with loads of ability learning his craft. He has a good attitude ,never hides and will do well. Not at his best tonight but has the ability to see a pass that others don't. He will do well for us.

I despair when I see Hagi criticized.

It's about getting the team on his level, not dropping the team down to a level without him.

There's a reason he has the most assists this season.

Curse of the creative player. He's going to lose the ball a lot. Admittedly he was poor tonight but he was always asking for it and never hid.

For killie I'd have Aribo in for him, start Jones for Kent, buff for roofe, and big Phil in for balogun.

Its clear hes hit a steep learning curve and besides moments of genius its not coming together for him quick enough, but he seems to be taking it all in. Its a strange one and I wouldnt say hes not at the races, but perhaps a wee breather might be just what he needs. Theres a lot of kogs turning with Hagi and thats going to take time, but hes going to be a cracker.

I think Hagi is a luxury player.

In the right games he will pick defenders apart and create but like tonight he will throw in some poor performances too.

I think he would thrive in Italy, he has a technical game and their style of football would suit him a treat.

I despair when I see Hagi criticized.

It's about getting the team on his level, not dropping the team down to a level without him.

There's a reason he has the most assists this season.

I think it’s unfair to blame others on Hagi’s performance Lucy.

He unquestionably can do special things & I know why you think so much of him, but he needs to provide more consistency for me personally if he’s going to start regularly.

On the basis of Aribo being out injured Lucy.

Hagi is two years younger but doesn’t have Aribo’s pace or strength.

He produces a lot of moments of quality undoubtedly, but so does Joe in my opinion.

Joe will score more too.

Lets re introduce Joe.

He should be ready now.

Pace, strength, quick feet & a great finisher.

He will score.

Very frustrating, but he’s only 22 and is work in progress.

The frustration is because he can produce real quality, yet has games where 5/10 yard passes aren’t executed.
I dont think hes having a stinker but Ive got to agree with you Grigo when you put it that way, the time is just right for Aribo hes ready. Hagi could do with sitting back and processing everything, he will come good!

I dont think hes having a stinker but Ive got to agree with you Grigo when you put it that way, the time is just right for Aribo hes ready. Hagi could do with sitting back and processing everything, he will come good!

He’s got lots of time on his side Ally, as he’s just turned 22, but he has to work on his consistency & his body strength. The others have.

I think his decision making is inconsistent too & must improve.

It’s all about the team mate.

I partially agree that I wouldn't start Hagi. I would start aribo. Not against Jones coming off the bench because he knows the surface and he is direct, however both aribo and Hagi are miles ahead of jones in terms of ability even on that surface.
I don’t think it’s a fair comparison to be honest Jones is a left winger. The other two are more suited to their own roles. Hagi for example couldn’t play as a winger. I would start Aribo and keep Jones and Hagi in reserve. I would also start Alfie again

He’s got lots of time on his side Ally, as he’s just turned 22, but he has to work on his consistency & his body strength. The others have.

I think his decision making is inconsistent too & must improve.

It’s all about the team mate.
Absolutely. Funny I was just thinking last week about Kamara, he has beefed up and he looks solid now.

I do think Hagi has ability of clipped passes that Aribo doesn’t posses but other than that you’re bang on

Remember that wee soft pass Joe did against Killie at home last season for Morelos winner NDC ? Majestic.

I absolutely agree Hagi has ability & has had some lovely assists, but he’s in there competing for a place in the 11 with a load of quality players now, and if he produces like tonight he won’t start too often.

Absolutely. Funny I was just thinking last week about Kamara, he has beefed up and he looks solid now.

Yes, him, Kent & Aribo are all looking as if they’ve been working out & it’s added to their games Ally.

In this country, despite how frustrating it is, you need a level of physicality.

Not sure if it’s been posted but I’m sure someone said Jones hasn’t actually played much on the surface at Rugby Park. It was changed when he moved to us.

Or I may have imagined that.

Would also help if I posted in the right thread

Last edited:
Another thought, Aribo and Hagi are better in same team, Aribo plays in the role Arfield has been playing for me, coming from deep.

I think Gerrard plays him in the wrong games sometimes. He seems to start every European game and I don’t think he’s that suited to these games some times as we break with pace and there is much more space to run into. I think he is brilliant in the right league games when we need a bit of magic to beat the block and we have all of the ball.

Remember that wee soft pass Joe did against Killie at home last season for Morelos winner NDC ? Majestic.

I absolutely agree Hagi has ability & has had some lovely assists, but he’s in there competing for a place in the 11 with a load of quality players now, and if he produces like tonight he won’t start too often.

He's a right good player Grigo. He's also been kicked about from pillar to post because of a dodgy agent who his da was mates with (went to Italy too early, then back to Romania, then to Belguim, back to Romania and then to Rangers). All that having just turned 22.

Only now he's settled, and he'll take a while to get into the groove. He's still contributing though. He's a project, he just needs a bit of slack.

Like a snail how fast he moves.

We can get away with it against teams like tonight but when champions league quality ala Leverkusen come in town can’t afford somebody to play like that.

I was getting frustrated with him giving the ball away too easily and misplacing passes. I’m mostly okay with that given what he offers, but I thought they marked him pretty well in the second half and he got a little rattled.

He's a right good player Grigo. He's also been kicked about from pillar to post because of a dodgy agent who his da was mates with (went to Italy too early, then back to Romania, then to Belguim, back to Romania and then to Rangers). All that having just turned 22.

Only now he's settled, and he'll take a while to get into the groove. He's still contributing though. He's a project, he just needs a bit of slack.

Hi PB.

I agree with you, he’s two years younger than the others ( Alfie, Kent, Joe ) and look at how they have progressed over the last year.

There is no questioning the vision he has mate.

I didn’t know what you’ve advised me here, but either way I’ve always wanted to give him time, as this environment, from a football perspective, must be alien to him.

In saying that, I was frustrated with him tonight I must admit, but I do still believe that Hagi is a genuine talent who will prove to be a good investment for the club in the years ahead.

Wasn’t his night tonight.

I think he tries too hard at times and then becomes so frustrated with himself that he ends up over complicating things and giving the ball away.

I reckon Arfield or Aribo will replace him on Sunday and we’ll get the midfield of Davis, Jack and Kamara.

No one was good first half to be fair to him but second half Hagi was noticeably poor....as the rest of the team clicked through the gears he was stuck in first. Should have been subbed 10 minutes before he was.

Back