Hagi

I think Gerrard plays him in the wrong games sometimes. He seems to start every European game and I don’t think he’s that suited to these games some times as we break with pace and there is much more space to run into. I think he is brilliant in the right league games when we need a bit of magic to beat the block and we have all of the ball.
I would agree with this

I am reading words like horrendous to describe his performances over the season.

He struggled last night, and the more he tried the worse it got for him.

The truth is that he has been up and down. But he has added real value. 7 or so assists? That is making a difference - and he is able to do it because he can pick a pass or engineer a moment like few others in our squad. Equally, he has on occasion struggled.

So a plea. Lads, c’mon, please! Horrendous and the like? It’s just unfairly harsh on the young lad.
I wholeheartedly agree, it's downright depressing hearing the need for hyperbole regarding individual performances. For what it's worth I thought Davis and Kent also struggled last night. Personally the most heartening thing just now is that under par performances by individuals are not resulting in draws or losses. This collection of players we have are starting to look like a proper TEAM.

I am reading words like horrendous to describe his performances over the season.

The truth is that he has been up and down. But he has added real value. 7 or so assists? That is making a difference - and he is able to do it because he can pick a pass or engineer a moment like few others in our squad. Equally, he has on occasion struggled.

So a plea. Lads, c’mon, please! Horrendous and the like? It’s just unfairly harsh on the young lad.

Mental doesn't cover it mate. I genuinely think some folk don't understand what certain words mean.

Been a hit and miss this season and a bit lightweight.Am confident he will only get better.

Hagi has some glaring weaknesses, but he is still young, he still wears L plates and yet he actually reads the game around the last third better than anyone else, he nearly always sees the pass even if he doesn't always complete it.
Of course, he must work on the weaker parts of the game, however, there is plenty of excellent potential with this lad.
Rangers should persevere with him the same way they have done with Barisic and to a degree Kent ,Hagi has got a lot of potential It’s his first full season in Scotland I think the manager can see his ability it’s a case of finding a way of getting the best out of him

Hagi had been horrendous all season in my opinion. I know his assists are up there but his general play is not good, the amount of times he gave the ball away last night was ridiculous and he looks a bit short on confidence and trying too hard. I keep saying hes wasted on the wings. I would have started jones in his place last night but now that aribo is getting back to match fitness hagi has a problem on his hands

I mean he's been horrendous, don't care if he's created more goals than anyone else in the team... horrendous i tells ye.

Horrendous? Really?

Take up a new sport, bud.

To be honest I fear for Hagi if the results aren't good. He is in line to be the whipping boy.

It's clear the management rate him, as he was bought in the summer.

I think he can only improve.

Assists do matter. They are an important stat

Anyone who can't see the quality of this boy doesn't understand football. We need that one penetrating pass in a game to open up a stubborn, packed defense....he's your man. Just because he's not sprinting around for 90 minutes kicking and heading everything in sight doesn't mean he's not got it. We have the pace, power and goals in the team...in Hagi we have the clever player with the killer pass. Give him a chance.

Agreed hopefully we can get a couple of them firing and extend this good run up until xmas.
Get them all firing and playing well and its a frightening prospect for any team.

We've seen the football they play when they're playing well and can be sublime. We're grinding results out when not playing that great. That's the sign of (not saying it......yet)

Hagi had been horrendous all season in my opinion. I know his assists are up there but his general play is not good, the amount of times he gave the ball away last night was ridiculous and he looks a bit short on confidence and trying too hard. I keep saying hes wasted on the wings. I would have started jones in his place last night but now that aribo is getting back to match fitness hagi has a problem on his hands
He's leading the assist charts so horrendous is clearly wrong. He's a player who creates the one or two chances and openings in a game we've been crying out for. I'm sure most people would be happier with someone like Candeias who runs around a lot and puts in more effort mind.

Anyone who can't see the quality of this boy doesn't understand football. We need that one penetrating pass in a game to open up a stubborn, packed defense....he's your man. Just because he's not sprinting around for 90 minutes kicking and heading everything in sight doesn't mean he's not got it. We have the pace, power and goals in the team...in Hagi we have the clever player with the killer pass. Give him a chance.
Exactly. He's top of the assists league and creates one or two chances a game that usually leads to a goal.

The guy has had a lot of unfair criticism for his form as he clearly tries hard. I will maintain he isn't good enough YET to start for Rangers but he's a good prospect. Pity we couldn't ease him into the team like Itten. A very promising player.

The problems is we play him slightly out of position and we didn't get someone in to play that position in the summer. He's the best we currently have.

Hopefully that position is fixed in January. It's the only problem area we have. Another Kent would
be nice.

I thought hagi had a poor game tonight.

i wouldn’t be playing him on Sunday, i would sooner have Jones in for him for 2 reasons:

1 - his pace and how direct he is

2 - he knows the surface and has played on it many of times

thoughts?
No, he's had one bad game but it's our most creative player

Some very unbalanced comments on here. Seems to me a lot of people just can’t take to an attacking midfielder who doesn’t have good old fashioned pace and strength.

I mean he's been horrendous, don't care if he's created more goals than anyone else in the team... horrendous i tells ye.

Horrendous? Really?

Take up a new sport, bud.
If were doing stats how many times did he give the ball away the other night what was his pass completion? Listen, i like the boy he will become a good player but he has been well short of the form he showed on his loan move

If were doing stats how many times did he give the ball away the other night what was his pass completion? Listen, i like the boy he will become a good player but he has been well short of the form he showed on his loan move

Well short is a tad less dramatic than horrendous, will give you that.

Here we have a classic example of someone looking for an argument. Notice in my commented i said “in my opinion”
This is a forum where everything is opinion based. It's opinions that raise debate and conversation. Horrendous is a very strong definition of hagi being extremely poor this season unless your use of horrendous differs from mine, that's why I asked. He's had a mixture of good moments mediocre moments and not so good moments but to say horrendous, is OTT "in my opinion"

I’ve been saying for the last week, Jones must start.
There isn't a planet in the entire universe where Jones would be seen as better than Hagi.
But right now, Hagi is as far away as that from being as good as Joe Aribo.

For me, Aribo and Kent are easily the best two we have in the support roles in our front 3.

Every time it pours down in Glasgow the playing surface at Ibrox is terrible. We need to pass the ball crisply as it suits our style. Can this problem be resolved or is it down to the water table?
To be fair though the weather somewhere else isnt gonna have much effect on it

Spot on imo.

Suits a game at Ibrox where we have a lot of the ball against a stuffy team. e.g. Livi last week where his assist for the opening goal was exceptional. Not sure I would start him tomorrow, I think he would be kicked out of the game very quickly. i would start Aribo in his place.

Well short is a tad less dramatic than horrendous, will give you that.
This is a forum where everything is opinion based. It's opinions that raise debate and conversation. Horrendous is a very strong definition of hagi being extremely poor this season unless your use of horrendous differs from mine, that's why I asked. He's had a mixture of good moments mediocre moments and not so good moments but to say horrendous, is OTT "in my opinion"
Is it aye

I'm not convinced with Hagi yet, not sure if he will make it to the top or not, living of his 2 goals on that magical Eiropean night. However glad that he is in our pool of players and he can win you a match with his skills.

People need to realise that not everything Hagi tries will come off due to his role in the team being the guy who plays the ambitious Key passes that create chances he might try 20 a game but if only 3/4 come off and create goal scoring chances then he's doing his job

He shouldn’t be out wide, he’s a No 10.

He seems to be the sort of player you build around, let him create, pick his passes, and more importantly, have others around him willing to do his running.

Maybe he’s a luxury you can’t afford in the Scottish game?

Perhaps he’s better suited to a more cultured, continental brand of football, away from the hammer throwers.

Says more about the game in Scotland than it does the lad himself.
He could not have run any more than he did on Thursday. He was chasing everything down when they played out from the back. Very, very few players in modern football are 'luxury' players. Maybe Messi and Ronaldo but most teams expect everyone to run and press and close down.
Hagi also had a good game against Livingstone last week. So I do not see him not being suited to Scottish football. I thought he had a decent first half on Thursday, but fell away badly in the second half. The way he looked up and picked out Davis (when our Steven mis-kicked that volley) was classy play. Most players at our level would have hammered it low and hard across goal.
Anyway we agree he has class and potential!

They will play 11 behind the ball so the likes of Barker and Jones are maybe wasted

Not sure how with roofe and his injury past is a risk on this pitch but for me alfie Kent and roofe

The manager can pick the other 8 I trust him to get it right
This is were aribo unlocks the park the bus hammer throwers.

He shouldn’t be out wide, he’s a No 10.

He seems to be the sort of player you build around, let him create, pick his passes, and more importantly, have others around him willing to do his running.

Maybe he’s a luxury you can’t afford in the Scottish game?

Perhaps he’s better suited to a more cultured, continental brand of football, away from the hammer throwers.

Says more about the game in Scotland than it does the lad himself.

He doesn't play out wide.

The only 2 players who play wide for us are Tav and Borna.

A young player who can frustrate at times, but a player who can do things that no one else can at vital times.
The pass last week to Aribo for the opening goal was a perfect example of that.

We have been here before on this forum. Last season it was Aribo, season before Kent. People refusing to see the talent was obviously there but the confidence was perhaps not their to perform every week.

I'm not convinced with Hagi yet, not sure if he will make it to the top or not, living of his 2 goals on that magical Eiropean night. However glad that he is in our pool of players and he can win you a match with his skills.

I think it's maybe you who is living in that era, not him.

You seemed to have missed the fact he's got the most assists in our team this season.

In fact, make that the whole league.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's leading the assist charts so horrendous is clearly wrong. He's a player who creates the one or two chances and openings in a game we've been crying out for. I'm sure most people would be happier with someone like Candeias who runs around a lot and puts in more effort mind.
There are a fair few who lament us 'getting rid' of Candeias (notice they ignore that he wanted to leave).

He has shown some excellent pieces of skill with either a blind pass, flick and reverse ball to a team mate.

His vision is exceptional.

His attempt the other night was fantastic and very unlucky.

He’s wasted a few balls but he’s still young and will get better.

I would say we won’t lose money on him.

Back