Hagi

He is levels above Jones as a footballer imo.
Not if you are playing right back behind him and he keeps turning the ball over and not getting back behind it !! He had a shocking game tonight and against a better team we will be punished for continually losing the ball.
He is undoubtedly talented but has a lot to learn and he is very one paced.

Kent, Roofe and Arfield didn’t exactly have great games tonight either.

With Aribo still looking to get up to speed id start Hagi with looking to swap him with aribo around 60 min mark. He tries passes no one else does.

Look at his cut back cross to Steve Davis tonight, ok we didn’t score from it but don’t think anyone else in our squad picks Davis out there, most likely smash across face of goal.

He is rough around the edges and isn’t the most athletic but he could be the key to unlocking the hammer throwers park the bus antics.

Everyone has a poor game in their careers, however his talent is in no doubt. I think he can be the man to undo the Kilmarnock wall on Sunday with his passing, and his confidence will get a huge boost.

I would not play him on Sunday either. He needs to buck up and start performing.

Start performing in what way? He has one of the highest assist rates in the team.

Seems Hagi is the target for the boo boys this season regardless of what he does or those around him performing worse.

Kent has been poor last few weeks, nobody calls him out? Our players are young & will be inconsistent.

Last edited:
I don’t think he played badly. Certainly not as bad as this overreaction on here suggests.

He constantly tried to feed players and was involved in virtually every attack. His discipline just left him in terms of keeping the ball but he was in great positions all night.

It seems like for all the patience & excuses that Morelos gets, hagi gets the opposite.

Don't think Hagi is strong enough to be a Rangers player at the moment.
He will have to bulk up, and his lack of pace is becoming concerning
Looked like a ten year old playing with sixteen year olds last night.
Wouldn't play him at Kilmarnock as he will just get bounced around.
Still work in progress and I hope he improves, but better options must be ahead of him in the team sheet.

Last edited:
There is nothing Hagi can do that Aribo can’t do.

But there’s things Aribo can do that Hagi can’t.

There is a lot of truth in what you are saying there, but Hagi is totally ambidextrous. Took corners with both left and right feet. Aribo is totally left footed.

I do feel that Hagi is a 'moment' man. He produces moments of quality that come from his vision. The one example would be the pull back for Davis on the edge of the box. 99.99% of all footballers would have tried to put in a standard cross in that position. Hagi not only picked out Davis, he placed a perfect ball for the volley. The problem at the moment is that there is not nearly enough 'moments'. If he is going to succeed at this club, he needs to ensure that those moments are not few and far between.

Don't think Hagi is strong enough to be a Rangers player at the moment.
He will have to bulk up, and his lack of pace is becoming concerning
Looked like a ten year old playing with sixteen year olds last night.
Wouldn't play him at Kilmarnock as he will just get bounced around.
Still work in progress and I hope he improves
Leading the league in assists. Way ahead of any of our other midfielders.

Bad day at the office for the young man you could see what he was trying to do at times but last night nothing came off for him sadly , better days to come .

Hagi quickly becoming the whipping boy sadly. Used to be kent...

hes 21 and has the vision and ability to pick out a pass no one else can. was actually good 1st half last night but definitely struggled the second half. Still tried his arse off though

22 last week.

You always know that the OP has a negative opinion to express on a player thread when the title only uses the player’s surname lol.

hes 21 and has the vision and ability to pick out a pass no one else can. was actually good 1st half last night but definitely struggled the second half. Still tried his arse off though

Yup, a lot of our support need one and it seems Hagi is it.

At only 22 what a player we have on our hands, wasn't great last night but he's created more goals than anyone else in our team even not being at his best.

I thought hagi had a poor game tonight.

i wouldn’t be playing him on Sunday, i would sooner have Jones in for him for 2 reasons:

1 - his pace and how direct he is

2 - he knows the surface and has played on it many of times

thoughts?

Hagi is a very creative player, but things don't always come off for him.

He'll be in and out of the side because of this.

However, I wouldn't be starting Jones ahead of him.

Pace is almost an irrelevance against Killie because they sit so deep.

Aribo, Arfield and Kent in behind Morelos for me.

There is a lot of truth in what you are saying there, but Hagi is totally ambidextrous. Took corners with both left and right feet. Aribo is totally left footed.

I do feel that Hagi is a 'moment' man. He produces moments of quality that come from his vision. The one example would be the pull back for Davis on the edge of the box. 99.99% of all footballers would have tried to put in a standard cross in that position. Hagi not only picked out Davis, he placed a perfect ball for the volley. The problem at the moment is that there is not nearly enough 'moments'. If he is going to succeed at this club, he needs to ensure that those moments are not few and far between.

Very fair comment GD, and that was top quality with the vision to see & execution of the pass to Davis.

Hagi has a lot of talent, that is undoubted but he needs to work on tightening up aspects of his game. The amount of time in a game he concedes possession through loose basic 5/10 yard passes or poor first touches is frustrating. There was a 10 minute spell early in second half where all he did was give ball away. I don't mind if he's making mistakes trying to do the creative stuff because that will happen but he needs to be better at the basics.

First half I don't think Hagi was too bad (whole team didn't click) but I agree, at the start of the 2nd half he just had one of those spells where nothing he tried came off. On the positive side though:
1. He never hides
2. The manager recognised that he was struggling & quickly made positive changes

Hagi takes too many touches and slows attacks down for me.

I’d like to see him play more 1 or 2 touch football and play on instinct a bit more.

I feel he’s trying too hard to play the perfect pass which in turn leads to him either losing the ball or missing good opportunities to counter attack.

He has had an indifferent start to the season but still has 6 assists & 1 goal.

Hagi is going to be a top player for us and some of the criticism he gets is over the top.

It's a common theme with some of our fans. Tav getting lambasted up until recently, we should cash in on Kamara last summer, he wants too much time on the ball etc.
Patience is needed especially with younger players so they have time to develop.

Hagi definitely has something in his locker but he reminds me at times of Ryan Kents performances last season easily be pushed about and losing possession- and then producing a killer run or pass - give him time to baulk up and I’m sure his style of play will produce more acceptable performances just as it did with Kent who was also in and out of last night’s game and was not at his best

Hagi tries things that when they come off look great but won't always come off. Even if he is having a poor game, he never hides and always shows for the ball.

That makes him a target for the section of our support who need to moan about someone. It was Tav before him and I'm sure someone else will get a turn too soon enough.

i wouldn’t be playing him on Sunday, i would sooner have Jones in for him for 2 reasons:

thoughts?
I agree about Sunday and Jones

Hagi just has one of those nights, that’s about it, we/he parks it and moves on

Was excellent on Sunday but very poor last night. It’s going to happen with young players.

His quality is there for all to see.

I thought Hagi was poor last night and should probably be on the bench for Kilmarnock.

No doubt he has the talent but he gave away a lot of possession last night.

People need to look beyond the contributions with the ball of the full team at the moment. Some players have had a few off games but we are still getting results. The reason for that is that the players are working so hard within the team structure. We don’t have a single player who is letting us down just now. Some don’t hit their peak and some are maybe slightly off form with the ball but all of them are playing their part. I think people also forget that he’s still a young player. As are Kent, Aribo and Barker.

I don’t think any players deserved “dropped” at the moment. We just need to play horses for courses to get the right result. Alfie will 100% play on Sunday and that was decided before he scored tonight.

Totally agree, Hagi was not the only one not to play to his best last night. I thought Arfield had his poorest game of recent, he has been a definite starter, but wasn't at his best.

Your last paragraph, makes the point very well, choose the "best(or most suitable)" depending on who we are playing.

thoughts?
very poor couldnt hold the ball and if he did he gave it away

not a good show

I didn’t just make it up - it’s something I’ve noticed on many many occasions. Not opinion, fact.
My thread wasn't really intended to be a Hagi bashing thread, I simply quoted that he was "poor tonight", and he was.

Just because he's young doesn't mean bad performances are to to fly over everyone's head and for the record, I actually rate Hagi, just simply pointing out that he had a bad game last night and asked for everyone's thoughts on it.

You can't possibly draw up the foregone conclusion that if you start a thread with a players second name only, it means you don't rate the player.

I don’t think he played badly. Certainly not as bad as this overreaction on here suggests.

He constantly tried to feed players and was involved in virtually every attack. His discipline just left him in terms of keeping the ball but he was in great positions all night.

It seems like for all the patience & excuses that Morelos gets, hagi gets the opposite.

Really? The same Morelos who’s been public enemy number 1 for months now? The patience and excuses must have went over my head.

Hagi was a no show for the majority of league games last season too and didn’t exactly get a hard time. In fact he gets a lot more protection than he does criticism. He was poor last night, as he was poor in the first 5 league matches of the season, it happens and there’s nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade. It doesn’t mean he won’t go and turn in a good performance in his next game. Kent would be my main worry now because that’s a few games in a row he’s started to look like the Kent of last season who drifted away and became largely ineffective.

Calling a poor performance a poor performance doesn’t make someone a whipping boy. People need to get over this drama queen shite.

Wasn't his best game by any means but still showed some great flashes of skill.

Think his incisive passing/assists might be very beneficial on Sunday against a team of defenders.

He certainly has potential and hopefully the coaching staff work on the weaker side of his game. Kamara has gone from being decent to good to very good and at the moment, unplayable. We have a squad gelling nicely and I'm sure Gerrard, Beale etc will bring the best out in them all at one point

I would love to see him shoot more or get into positions where he can shoot. He has an absolutely great ping

As we saw at the weekend play him centrally in a number 10 role and he will thrive this coming in off the right hand side at times just doesn't suit him.

Still believe we need a Kent type player just coming in off the right flank but that's a debate for another day.

Really? The same Morelos who’s been public enemy number 1 for months now? The patience and excuses must have went over my head.

Hagi was a no show for the majority of league games last season too and didn’t exactly get a hard time. In fact he gets a lot more protection than he does criticism. He was poor last night, as he was poor in the first 5 league matches of the season, it happens and there’s nothing wrong with calling a spade a spade. It doesn’t mean he won’t go and turn in a good performance in his next game. Kent would be my main worry now because that’s a few games in a row he’s started to look like the Kent of last season who drifted away and became largely ineffective.

Calling poor performance is one thing, but the posts in this thread and elsewhere on the board you would think he done hee haw all night, doesn't work hard, dissappear, no pace, no strength, etc when its blatantly not true. Said it earlier front 3 bust a gut shifting side to side and chasing down defenders, Hagi and Kent are really good at it, Roofe last night wasn't as disciplined and occasionally went chasing shadows leaving gaps for them to play out and bigger spaces for Hagi and Kent to cover. Hagi still showed for every ball last night, creating space and trying to do things. It didn't work last night on the ball, he looked jaded and frustrated with himself and I think that frustration got to him, affecting his performance second half especially. Still wasn't worst player on the park but has a thread about him anyway. That's not a player who is protected, thats the whipping boy of the moment.

I don’t think we see the best of him when he plays wider. He can’t do the job Jack, Aribo & Kamara does when they cover for Tav & Borna. He is better in a central position. But he will have better games for us

I wouldn't play Hagi or Jones.

I'd play Aribo.

1) Jones' pace would be useless against Killie's low block.

2) with that logic we would start Greg Stewart through the middle...

Aribo does not look fit at all needs to be used carefully now till he builds up fitness, plastic pitches are not great for players coming back from injury.

Back