Hagi

He was a lot better centrally against Livi but extremely poor last night. For me he doesn't start against Kilmarnock

The boys not a winger its that simple, when he drifts inside he always finds a pass, meaning some games like last night he struggles to make an impact

Calling poor performance is one thing, but the posts in this thread and elsewhere on the board you would think he done hee haw all night, doesn't work hard, dissappear, no pace, no strength, etc when its blatantly not true. Said it earlier front 3 bust a gut shifting side to side and chasing down defenders, Hagi and Kent are really good at it, Roofe last night wasn't as disciplined and occasionally went chasing shadows leaving gaps for them to play out and bigger spaces for Hagi and Kent to cover. Hagi still showed for every ball last night, creating space and trying to do things. It didn't work last night on the ball, he looked jaded and frustrated with himself and I think that frustration got to him, affecting his performance second half especially. Still wasn't worst player on the park but has a thread about him anyway. That's not a player who is protected, thats the whipping boy of the moment.
“The whipping boy of the moment” because someone said he had a poor game last night and maybe Sunday isn’t the game for him? gimme a break ffs. If you think that’s him set up to be a whipping boy you’re overly sensitive. If we’re not going to talk about these things then what’s the point of a forum.

I mentioned that he’d been poor in more than a third of his league performances and was met with a tsunami of tears and folk quoting assist stats in anger. That’s not exactly what happens with a whipping boy, and that was all in response to me saying he was poor in the first 4 league games of the season, which he was and where he actually didn’t register any goals or assists.

The response to that showed most have his back and don’t want to hear a bad word about him even when he hasn’t played well, which is similar to your own response here mate. He didn’t play well and may find it difficult in what will likely be a fast paced kick and rush game on Sunday, I don’t see any issue with discussing the merits of him starting or not starting. He’s still young too so he has time on his side.

“The whipping boy of the moment” because someone said he had a poor game last night and maybe Sunday isn’t the game for him? gimme a break ffs. If you think that’s him set up to be a whipping boy you’re overly sensitive. If we’re not going to talk about these things then what’s the point of a forum.

I mentioned that he’d been poor in more than a third of his league performances and was met with a tsunami of tears and folk quoting assist stats in anger. That’s not exactly what happens with a whipping boy, and that was all in response to me saying he was poor in the first 4 league games of the season, which he was and where he actually didn’t register any goals or assists.

The response to that showed most have his back and don’t want to hear a bad word about him even when he hasn’t played well, which is similar to your own response here mate. He didn’t play well and may find it difficult in what will likely be a fast paced kick and rush game on Sunday, I don’t see any issue with discussing the merits of him starting or not starting. He’s still young too so he has time on his side.

No, I explained clearly in my post, or so I thought, its the absolute nonsense in the content of the posts where shit is basically made up to have a go along with the fact he has one of these threads after nearly every game regardless of performance that makes him the whipping boy. He wasn't our worst player last night, how many other players have threads about them?

He certainly has potential and hopefully the coaching staff work on the weaker side of his game. Kamara has gone from being decent to good to very good and at the moment, unplayable. We have a squad gelling nicely and I'm sure Gerrard, Beale etc will bring the best out in them all at one point

Yes, great example of what Hagi needs to do.

Show the work ethic that Kamara has & improve his performances to be more consistent & more rounded.

Glen is vastly improved in terms of consistency & is adding attributes to his game.

The only reason that Ianis won’t is because he hasn’t shown the desire & professionalism.

No, I explained clearly in my post, or so I thought, its the absolute nonsense in the content of the posts where shit is basically made up to have a go along with the fact he has one of these threads after nearly every game regardless of performance that makes him the whipping boy. He wasn't our worst player last night, how many other players have threads about them?
That’s the biggest bit of nonsense in the thread mate. He gets more backing than most after subpar performances.

Where does he get this backing? In the threads started about him having a go per chance?!?
In just about every thread where there’s a criticism of him, see my previous post. I know because I was the target the last time I was critical of him.

Either to describe him as a whipping boy is so wide of the mark it’s mental.

Hagi had been horrendous all season in my opinion. I know his assists are up there but his general play is not good, the amount of times he gave the ball away last night was ridiculous and he looks a bit short on confidence and trying too hard. I keep saying hes wasted on the wings. I would have started jones in his place last night but now that aribo is getting back to match fitness hagi has a problem on his hands

Hagi had been horrendous all season in my opinion. I know his assists are up there but his general play is not good, the amount of times he gave the ball away last night was ridiculous and he looks a bit short on confidence and trying too hard. I keep saying hes wasted on the wings. I would have started jones in his place last night but now that aribo is getting back to match fitness hagi has a problem on his hands

It’s been a mixed bag. Some games where he’s basically been a man down, but horrendous all season is very unfair. He’s had a few cracking performances too and until Thursday had 3 or 4 very good performances back to back and was my MoTM at the weekend. But people really have turned into yank baseball fans on here as far as reading numbers and ignoring everything else goes, because his numbers do look very good but aren’t actually reflective of his overall performance and consistency (or lack there of) over the entire season so far.

I am going to go against the grain here. Might be my old eyes but I think the young lad is starting to find a little more speed. I watched a few passages of him closing down defenders and he was anything but slow/lacking pace. I don't see guys running away from him leaving him in their trail. Obviously he is not blessed with the speed we see in Barker/Kent/Jones but they are terrifying.

I also don't think he has to be. I think it was a throwaway line by Super Ally that has been given too much thought. I see it more a case of him needing experience in picking when to try the out of the ordinary stuff instead of thinking every pass needs to be a killer.

He is not the finished article. Steven Gerrard has called him, and a few others, a baby in terms of experience. To me that experience is where he will become a top, top player, not the speed thing. He still gets frustrated when he is having a bad night, you can see it getting to him. Someone earlier said it was a bit like Kenty last year. I see it much the same way. We will get a better Hagi further down the line. I think you get that with lads his age, and also skill sets. I think for him to be dominant in the areas he plays it might be 2 or 3 years down the line before he hits anywhere near his peak.

I am going to go against the grain here. Might be my old eyes but I think the young lad is starting to find a little more speed. I watched a few passages of him closing down defenders and he was anything but slow/lacking pace. I don't see guys running away from him leaving him in their trail. Obviously he is not blessed with the speed we see in Barker/Kent/Jones but they are terrifying.

I also don't think he has to be. I think it was a throwaway line by Super Ally that has been given too much thought. I see it more a case of him needing experience in picking when to try the out of the ordinary stuff instead of thinking every pass needs to be a killer.

He is not the finished article. Steven Gerrard has called him, and a few others, a baby in terms of experience. To me that experience is where he will become a top, top player, not the speed thing. He still gets frustrated when he is having a bad night, you can see it getting to him. Someone earlier said it was a bit like Kenty last year. I see it much the same way. We will get a better Hagi further down the line. I think you get that with lads his age, and also skill sets. I think for him to be dominant in the areas he plays it might be 2 or 3 years down the line before he hits anywhere near his peak.

no pace no stamina no desire think folk are carried away with watching his father

no pace no stamina no desire think folk are carried away with watching his father
Sorry but you are watching a completely different player to me. If anything too much desire, watch him chase back if he loses the ball. He wouldn't get away with no desire in a Gerrard team.

He is not pulling a caravan, nowhere near it. He isn't Usain Bolt but he is an athlete blessed with a real talent.

Stamina, I don't think is an issue. I think you are seeing him subbed off when it's not his day and assuming it's fitness. I don't think it is but again, these guys get every aspect of their work monitored through analytics. He wouldn’t be here if he was a Rogic type player.

No he isn't his Dad. Nor should he be compared to him. Totally different player, totally different personality. You would be as well saying he isn't Messi or Ronaldo. I get the comparison due to family but there are no clones in football. Closest I can give you is Schmeichel Dad and son. The Leicester goalie is a fine player, but he is no his Da. Doesn't mean he isn't better in some areas than his old boy was.

Define horrendous please

He needs to play in and around to maximise the best out of him. Was ok first half but second half he was horrendous. Starts on Sunday if we play 4-2-3-1 imo

I think your old eyes need tested, hagi has next to no pace . When he runs it’s as if he is running in treacle.

Sorry but you are watching a completely different player to me. If anything too much desire, watch him chase back if he loses the ball. He wouldn't get away with no desire in a Gerrard team.

He is not pulling a caravan, nowhere near it. He isn't Usain Bolt but he is an athlete blessed with a real talent.

Stamina, I don't think is an issue. I think you are seeing him subbed off when it's not his day and assuming it's fitness. I don't think it is but again, these guys get every aspect of their work monitored through analytics. He wouldn’t be here if he was a Rogic type player.

No he isn't his Dad. Nor should he be compared to him. Totally different player, totally different personality. You would be as well saying he isn't Messi or Ronaldo. I get the comparison due to family but there are no clones in football. Closest I can give you is Schmeichel Dad and son. The Leicester goalie is a fine player, but he is no his Da. Doesn't mean he isn't better in some areas than his old boy was.

are you involved in walking football? that would explain your perception of pace and stamina

I think he's been decent but has to improve a lot of moves/passes he tries are hard to execute so it makes him look worse when they do not come off.

Going by the above comments both for and against Hagi and the likes attached to them his current form certainly divides opinion on this forum like no other in our squad.
Personally I like him as he is undoubtedly talented and brave enough to try passes and runs others in the squad do not. However to me he certainly had a poor second half last night and his confidence on the ball seemed to be wilting leading to him being justifiably subbed.
I wouldn't play him against the bruisers at Rugby Park as I don't think his game is suited to that type of crude physicality and a rest would do him more good ready for Benfica on Thursday.
Aribo on the other hand is needing game time and his strength and running power will be suited to Sunday's encounter.

He had a bit of a nightmare last night in all honesty, couldn’t find a blue jersey all night but he is a good player and I think he will grow to be a Ryan Kent type influence on the team in time.

As inconsistent as he’s been he tends to do something in every game that I really like, whether that’s a clever little pass or a skilful turn and twist or even just the way he never hides when something doesn’t come off for him.

Perhaps we’ve been spoiled by the immediate impact he had following his arrival in games like Hibs and Braga especially when we could have been forgiven for believing we had a bona fide budding genius on our hands, but we also need to remember he’s only just turned 22 and only been with us for mere ten months.

With the coaching team we have at present, I’ll be most surprised if this lad doesn’t continue improving with us.

He has the football brain to play the game at a high level, last night wasn't his best, but he will improve his consistency with time and good management.

i agree with the op. I like jones, he's hungry, he knows he was nearly offloaded at the start of the season. He's out to prove he's worth a second try. Hagi will always get selected. He can be having a poor game and then spin it with some outstanding football and change the game. Rest him for the Killie game.

I wonder how much of this is down to weight of expectation, not just from us but filling his fathers boots etc. He seems to be trying to play that defence splitting pass to often and I think he has to concentrate more on the bread and butter choice of pass. This would cause him to fit in better with the team in building momentum and shutting down opposition, the opportunity for the killer pass or run will then nuturally present itself without him trying so hard to find it. As mentioned last night in a couple of good posts, filling out and building upper body strength would also benefit his game in Scotland no end.

Kamara has shown him the path to take.

Last edited:
Going by the above comments both for and against Hagi and the likes attached to them his current form certainly divides opinion on this forum like no other in our squad.
Personally I like him as he is undoubtedly talented and brave enough to try passes and runs others in the squad do not. However to me he certainly had a poor second half last night and his confidence on the ball seemed to be wilting leading to him being justifiably subbed.
I wouldn't play him against the bruisers at Rugby Park as I don't think his game is suited to that type of crude physicality and a rest would do him more good ready for Benfica on Thursday.
Aribo on the other hand is needing game time and his strength and running power will be suited to Sunday's encounter.

I think someone on here summed it up a week or so ago. It seems that when Hagi is “on it” he’ll be making a significant contribution to the team, but at the same time when he’s not at the races he feels like a man down, there’s no in between with him.

Think this is a great post.

I think someone on here summed it up a week or so ago. It seems that when Hagi is “on it” he’ll be making a significant contribution to the team, but at the same time when he’s not at the races he feels like a man down, there’s no in between with him.
I agree but the one thing I like about Hagi is he can be totally ineffective then produce a moment of quality (see Hibs away). Still baffled why he was subbed off just as he was coming into it vs Hibs

Think this is a great post.

"I see it more a case of him needing experience in picking when to try the out of the ordinary stuff instead of thinking every pass needs to be a killer."

Thats bang on!

"I see it more a case of him needing experience in picking when to try the out of the ordinary stuff instead of thinking every pass needs to be a killer."

Thats bang on!
Think there is a wee thing Gazza done. If he lost the ball he would play 10 easy passes before trying to beat someone or a killer pass again. It's an experience thing.

Think there is a wee thing Gazza done. If he lost the ball he would play 10 easy passes before trying to beat someone or a killer pass again. It's an experience thing.

You also find your way into the game much better with the simple pass. Another youngster who has sussed that out is Billy Gilmour

When you have the luxury of strength in depth you should look at the opponent to decide who to play.

The game is against a Killie side that will almost certainly have 10 behind the ball on a tight park. Hagi has the vision and ability to play a pass to open up a team like that which could be important.

His lack of pace is overblown, plus I'm not sure that there is going to be much space to run into anyway given the opposition anyway.

He does seem to drift in and out of games at times, though tonight things weren't really happening for him.
That said as he has shown before, one bit of magic from him can turn a game.
I think we get more out of him between MF and attack, opposed to out wide.
He can turn a man a thread passes with perfect weight and precision.

Out wide I'd say Jones is better due to his pace and crossing.

Two different cogs in the machine.

I agree with trying too hard

He shouldn’t be out wide, he’s a No 10.

He seems to be the sort of player you build around, let him create, pick his passes, and more importantly, have others around him willing to do his running.

Maybe he’s a luxury you can’t afford in the Scottish game?

Perhaps he’s better suited to a more cultured, continental brand of football, away from the hammer throwers.

Says more about the game in Scotland than it does the lad himself.

He shouldn’t be out wide, he’s a No 10.

He seems to be the sort of player you build around, let him create, pick his passes, and more importantly, have others around him willing to do his running.

Maybe he’s a luxury you can’t afford in the Scottish game?

Perhaps he’s better suited to a more cultured, continental brand of football, away from the hammer throwers.

Says more about the game in Scotland than it does the lad himself.
He might well be best suited to that role but he isn’t good enough (yet) or consistent enough for us to build a team around. Impacting games with moments of magic from an inside right position is probably enough for us for now, to be honest.

I am reading words like horrendous to describe his performances over the season.

He struggled last night, and the more he tried the worse it got for him.

The truth is that he has been up and down. But he has added real value. 7 or so assists? That is making a difference - and he is able to do it because he can pick a pass or engineer a moment like few others in our squad. Equally, he has on occasion struggled.

So a plea. Lads, c’mon, please! Horrendous and the like? It’s just unfairly harsh on the young lad.

Hagi has some glaring weaknesses, but he is still young, he still wears L plates and yet he actually reads the game around the last third better than anyone else, he nearly always sees the pass even if he doesn't always complete it.
Of course, he must work on the weaker parts of the game, however, there is plenty of excellent potential with this lad.

I’m not a massive fan but it’s clear he’s on the park to produce that one moment of brilliance to unlock the opposition.
This is clearly something that the coaching staff are acutely aware of given the problems of last season.

Perhaps we have to wait a full season before assessing him.

If he plays that crucial pass at Livingston when we’re toiling with 5 minutes to go in Match 30 of the season then we’ll say he’s worth it.

I thought hagi had a poor game tonight.

i wouldn’t be playing him on Sunday, i would sooner have Jones in for him for 2 reasons:

1 - his pace and how direct he is

2 - he knows the surface and has played on it many of times

thoughts?
bollox

I thought hagi had a poor game tonight.

i wouldn’t be playing him on Sunday, i would sooner have Jones in for him for 2 reasons:

1 - his pace and how direct he is

2 - he knows the surface and has played on it many of times

thoughts?
I’ve been saying for the last week, Jones must start.

He’s been up and down but he’s been more up and than he has down this season. One thing is that in the European games so far this season he’s struggled more to perform well consistently in game compared to the league. The 4231 suits him a lot more compared to the 4321. One thing I’ll say is that he’s 10 times the player the likes of jones or barker will ever be for us, none of them can produce the moments of magic that he can at all. The amount of assists he has already in the league is testament to how well he’s played in the league for us

Back