Hagi

He's pretty useless in that wide right role.

He needs to be playing centrally where he can pick his passes and the lack of pace isn't highlighted as much.

Really at the moment that position is Aribo's and deservedly.

You can be technically brilliant all you want, but if you’re a square peg in a round hole then it’s not a long term solution.

With the way Gio is playing, a right sided version of Kent is what would suit the team best and ultimately that’s what it’s all about.

Why would Gio start a square peg in a round hole in his first 3 games when he has guys like Wright and Patterson who could play those positions?

I'm not sure I necessarily buy into that, I know Gio wants width from his forward players but perhaps given Tav's attacking prowess he's less concerned about the void Hagi might leave on the right hand side.

Either way, I'd be extremely reluctant to sell the guy unless it was big money.

Before Arfield and Roofe came off the bench, Hagi was the only one showing any movement and looking for a pass in the second half.
I think that bravery that he shows is why he is so trusted by the management team.
I don't think he had the best game last night but he was one that I wanted to keep on because he never hid, and he kept trying to make things happen.

I am also unsure if right wing is a good position for him. I'd like to see him play in centre mid in the games where we only need one holding midfielder.

Not popular but would definitely be one I would accept half decent money for to reinvest in the team, genuinely stunned that he stayed on for 90 mins last night

Offered almost nothing all night

Why does he play wide right? He has no pace and I don’t think I’ve seen him cross a ball. Tbh he’s the one I would sell first if a decent bid came in for him.

Imo he needs to play as a 10 or nothing but I think he’s a player we could afford to lose. Arfield will contribute more in the 10 until the end of the season.

I’ve just never got the hype with the lad.
you're well named

The most frustrating player at the club too slow and inconsistent and someone I would happily see sold at the first opportunity.

We need pace in the advanced areas as usual last night he slowed a lot of our play down and didn't contribute enough.

I don't see the hype over him unfortunately.

He has a great football brain. Sees a pass as well as Arfield and played well the time he came on for Davis. Playing him on the wing with his lack of pace should have been resolved earlier last night.

Draws a ton of fouls.
He is brave and puts his body in the way of defenders.
Makes vital contributions.
Probably the most intelligent forward we have.
Has an unselfish workrate and is a real team player.
Has a great shot.
Apart from that, I can't see what all the fuss is about.

Because he’s slow

I really like Hagi as a player - his numbers were excellent last season in terms of goal involvements.

But he's not a RW and he doesn't fit in Gio's system in that position. Would therefore be tempted to cash in if we do receive a suitable offer in January, and bring in a pacy winger/forward to play RW.

Dont think he has had his best league games since Gio came in. Still has a lot to offer though. Hagi, Arfield and Aribo will all contribute to us winning the league. No way I would sell him.

A wee thing I noticed last night showing a bit of experience from Hagi

When the penalty was given he went and stood on the penalty spot as the goalie was mulling around it to stop them trying to create a divet

Good to hear that, glad to see we are starting to be more streetwise.

Never seen him cross a ball?
He’s a wide player and I can’t think of a time last night he crossed the ball? He isn’t the sort of player to get a yard of space and cross it. It’s all too cute outside right play when he is wide without actually doing anything. Aribo would be better out there but he’s playing too well inside at the moment.

I’m happy to be unpopular but I think at times he’s a luxury we can’t afford in a system that needs us pressing at the front and falls out of the game far too often. His lack of pace kills him.

I get the fact he can assist from nothing but doing 1 thing over 90 minutes doesn’t justify a spot in the team imo.

I think he’s a much better player from the bench but then that’s quite limited option for a player who has talent.

Still early days though and his application and attitude can’t be faulted. I won’t be surprised if we sell him but equally won’t be surprised if he kicks on and goes up a level or two under GVB.

He can't continue there, can't beat a man and loses the ball far too often when a simple pass is on.

I keep hearing he has great technique and that he never hides and puts the effort in - he is getting a free ride from far too many on here because of the family name. Truth is he is pretty much a man down most of the time.

If a decent offer comes in we shouldn't hesitate because his stock is still relatively high.

Anyone know what kg weights he wears on his ankles?

Unless we play him of a striker/s where pace isnt required then we dont get very much out of him.

The amount of times he's a yard or two infront of a player only to he caught is infuriating

Before Arfield and Roofe came off the bench, Hagi was the only one showing any movement and looking for a pass in the second half.
I think that bravery that he shows is why he is so trusted by the management team.
I don't think he had the best game last night but he was one that I wanted to keep on because he never hid, and he kept trying to make things happen.

I am also unsure if right wing is a good position for him. I'd like to see him play in centre mid in the games where we only need one holding midfielder.
Yes, even 80 odd minutes in he was still running and working hard.

Why would Gio start a square peg in a round hole in his first 3 games when he has guys like Wright and Patterson who could play those positions?

I'm not sure I necessarily buy into that, I know Gio wants width from his forward players but perhaps given Tav's attacking prowess he's less concerned about the void Hagi might leave on the right hand side.

Either way, I'd be extremely reluctant to sell the guy unless it was big money.
One is a right back and one isn’t as established or experienced as Hagi, and both coming in as first choice would be quite a big change and Gio’s probably still figuring out the squad.

He definitely wants width but the fullbacks aren’t forward quite as much, and with that in mind I don’t think Hagi has the tools for the job out there.

One is a right back and one isn’t as established or experienced as Hagi, and both coming in as first choice would be quite a big change and Gio’s probably still figuring out the squad.

He definitely wants width but the fullbacks aren’t forward quite as much, and with that in mind I don’t think Hagi has the tools for the job out there.

Time will tell but something tells me Gio isn't the kind of guy who sticks with someone who doesn't fit the system just because he's still figuring out his squad. He'll have known Hagi's strengths and attributes coming into the job and given he doesn't exactly fit the winger type profile I suspect he's happy to sacrifice that a little to accommodate him given he has Tav behind.

I would love to see Hagi get a run as an 8. I think deeper with more time would really suit him.

Terrific player, but sometimes verges on the luxury in our system.

Just a quick point. Watch the build-up to our penalty last night. Decent interception by Kamara inside our own half but its the subsequent inch perfect pass from Hagi, between Hibs defenders, to find Arfield in the middle of the Hibs half with loads of space that 'creates' the chance to go and attack them. Easy to miss his contribution when its so far back into the move but his pass to Arfield is the one that opens them up. And it came from right out wide on the touchline at half-way.

Last edited:
Hagi played 92 scored 14 assists 21
Arfield played 166 scored 31 assists 18

Arfield is more of a goal threat. But you also have to factor the fact Hagi is as you pointed out often played out of position.
Hagi assists more than Arfield.

They offer different things, Arfield will arrive late in the box or run beyond the striker.
Hagi plays on the edge and tries passes others in our side couldn’t see let alone try.

Both valuable squad members

I think he is an asset to the team and a very useful player to have in the squad. Numbers are good but has periods where he frustrates which folk seem to remember more than the good stuff.

Looking at the numbers @JW1988 posted above the compare well to Arfield.

Hagi = 6.6 games per goal, 4.4 games per assist
Arfield = 5.4 games per goal, 9.2 games per assist

Hagi has only played 78 games for Rangers.

His rate of goal contributions is better than what's been posted there.

Why does he play wide right? He has no pace and I don’t think I’ve seen him cross a ball. Tbh he’s the one I would sell first if a decent bid came in for him.

Imo he needs to play as a 10 or nothing but I think he’s a player we could afford to lose. Arfield will contribute more in the 10 until the end of the season.

I’ve just never got the hype with the lad.
Sakala out wide and Aribo as 10 with Arfield and Kamara behind him for me.

Hagi gets off easily because he creates a chance per game or gets an assist but I haven't seen him have a good 90 minutes in a long time. He let's the ball go under his foot or fails to keep a trundling ball in play and breaks down alot of attacks.

Hagi is a good player but overrated by some imo.

At the same stage of last season he already had 5 assists and 1 goal, compared to this season he has 0 assists and 1 goal.

His performances seem to have regressed compared to last season.

Perhaps there are too many off-field distractions this season.

I'm sensing a general lack of discipline in the team compared to last season, Gerrard had lost interest and let players do what they want.

He’s not playing as a 10 any more and the OPs post is invalid.

Does he look familiar or comfy playing as one of Gios wingers. No.

Does he look very very willing. Yes.

Gio needs to find a Ronald de Boer role for him if he wants his best.

His technique is really poor.

First touch tends to bounce off him.

Dribbles with long strides.

Bizarre passing.

Lovely guy who you’d think would be good at these things and clearly has a creative football brain but is just badly lacking when it comes to executing these basic skills.

His lack of pace is the reason he’s a good player and not a great player. I think he’ll be used wide right until January until Gio can bring in a more natural winger
Is he really that slow.. Seems like an accepted myth on here.. he's not a bullet, but wouldn't say he's slow.

His goal against Germany shows the ability he has

His technique is really poor.

First touch tends to bounce off him.

Dribbles with long strides.

Bizarre passing.

Lovely guy who you’d think would be good at these things and clearly has a creative football brain but is just badly lacking when it comes to executing these basic skills.
I stopped at technique is poor..

That's almost a chick young in the tunnel with Walter comment!! :)

I tend to agree with the OP.

Both he and Aribo look well suited to the no.10 role behind the striker.

Personally I feel big Joe is the more skilful player, but he’s very one footed compared to Hagi so there could be an argument that the Romanian may be an even better bet there.

It kind of has to be one of the other for me though, but I guess we’re not exactly bursting at the seams with options at the minute and I think Gio is just trying to find the combination of players he has at his disposal now that works best for us.

When there’s money available I think we’ll see him targeting a proper right winger / wide right attacker.

As much as I like Hagi, I wouldn’t be distraught to see him leave in January if there was a good offer we could then look to reinvest in the above player.

Back