Hagi's contract?

Jonnyleblue

What's the deal with the exclusive option to buy.

People saying there scouts were watching him last night.

So we only have to pay 5million to sign him, but he can just refuse to sign if he gets a better offer from another team, is that correct?

Sounds about right. The lad looks like he is enjoying himself so far though, if we can manage to win the Scottish cup to give him a taste of winning with us, I reckon we could sway him to stay.

Make it so Rangers, £5 million is a sound investment.

Not sure the details but after a few moves that haven't worked out the way he planned I think we're the perfect club for him at the moment.

Like most others that sign, he looks to have got the bug. The scouts were likley looking at loads of players

I know I'm against the grain on here, but if we're going to be paying £5 million for him then we need to judge him over the rest of the season.

The league is our bread and butter and so far in 2 away games at Kilmarnock and Perth the game has totally passed him by.

He's a terrific talent, but he has to be able to do it week in week out domestically for him to succeed here.

I'm not saying he can't do it, (and I certainly hope he can) but he needs to show us first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I'm against the grain on here, but if we're going to be paying £5 million for him then we need to judge him over the rest of the season.

The league is our bread and butter and so far in 2 away games at Kilmarnock and Perth the game has totally passed him by.

He's been a complete passenger.

He's a terrific talent, but he has to be able to do it week in week out domestically for him to succeed here.

I'm not saying he can't do it, (and I certainly hope he can) but he needs to show us first.
You're right. Our fans jump the gun far too much, particularly with loan signings

If it were up to the fans, we'd have permanently signed Coulibaly, Ejaria and Worral after a couple of gameso_O

He laid on great chances in both those games.

The one round the back for Aribo.

He creates in every game

By that rationale the whole squad should be up for sale .

Even when he’s a “ passenger” as you describe mate he still can provide a killer pass that nobody else in Scotland can do .

A snip at £5 million and I’ll be amazed and delighted if we get him .

I think calling him a complete passenger is a bit extreme.

Goals against Braga and Hibs that assist last night all within 1 month of bring here is decent

I said specifically the away league games passed him by, not home league games, or Europa matches.

He's been excellent in them.

However, it's these away league games that caused this place to go into meltdown.

These are the games we need every player turning up for.

We have to win them.

Hagi might be best technical player we have seen at Ibrox since...Mendes? He’s two footed, has excellent vision and passing, great shooting, he’s actually a better, proper tackler* than our midfielders, he is brave, confident and has not been found wanting in SPFL games - certainly compared to teammates - and seems to be a good team player... the only thing he lacks is pace.

I’d be interested to see what this kid becomes over the next 2/3 years wherever he was playing - if we have a chance for that to happen in a Rangers shirt it’s a no brainer for me.

* I mean technically - last night in particular his tackles were excellent - he’s obviously not physically big enough to play in CM

Hopefully that's not how it works and he has already agreed to sign if Rangers pay the 5m.

I don't see why Genk should benefit if his value sky rockets before the end of the season.

He laid on great chances in both those games.

The one round the back for Aribo.

He creates in every game

Mate, he's a big talent, but it's plain wrong to say he played well at Killie and Perth.

He was regularly caught in possession and struggled with the intensity of the opposition and the lack of time on the ball.

Kent worked his arse off at St Johnstone, was far more effective than Hagi, but got dogs abuse on here.

He worked far harder than Hagi out of possession too.

I'm not saying he won't be able to adjust to the domestic away games, but I'd prefer to see him prove he can before we shell out £5 million.

For the avoidance of doubt, I think he will be able to adjust, but £5 million is a hell of a lot of money for us, so I just want to see it spent wisely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Needs to be played more centrally to get the best out of him and get him involved more! Wasted a bit out wide and as we seen last night doesn’t have the pace to play there either! That said for him to play as the “number 10” it would require a system change and that’s looking unlikely

Supposedly we don't play with wide players though, we play with two number tens. Beale called someone out on Twitter for it.

By that rationale the whole squad should be up for sale .

Even when he’s a “ passenger” as you describe mate he still can provide a killer pass that nobody else in Scotland can do .

A snip at £5 million and I’ll be amazed and delighted if we get him .

See post #14 mate.

I'm certainly not writing him off.

Anything but.

I just want to ensure we spend our limited funds wisely.

We have first option if we want him for a pre arranged fee that option is only between us and Genk .
Other clubs can watch him even table bids for him in the summer ,but if we want him Genk must deal with us even if other clubs table larger bids.
Then the problems start talking hypothetically us and Chelsea want him Chelsea make it known to his agent they will pay him £100,000 a week and a five year contract ,he will then ask us to match it obviously we can't so he goes to Chelsea because he cannot agree terms with us .
Genk have held up their side of the bargain and hagi has done nothing wrong .
This exclusivety contract is not worth much unless the player sign into it as well he hasn't so he is not guaranteed if we want him to be here next season

Last edited:
Hagi has talent, for sure. However, similar to MearnsUnionist, I was disappointed in his contribution against St Johnstone. I wrote previously that imo, Aribo and Hagi cannot play in the same team when we play away in Scotland. SG has to select only one of them. We need more guile and strength in the middle to combat the 'up and at them' attitude teams such as Killie and Hearts have mugged us recently. Even last night in Braga, SG saw fit to only have Hagi on, and only brought on Aribo by substituting Hagi. So, it is not a clear cut case of automatically purchasing the guy. Let's see by the end of May his overall contribution and then decide.

I like him.Very good technical player but has that grit about him ie chasing balls into corners etc.5mill is a bargain.Get him signed.

Reactions: TQ3
Mate, he's a big talent, but it's plain wrong to say he played well at Killie and Perth.

He was regularly caught in possession and struggled with the intensity of the opposition and the lack of time on the ball.

Kent worked his arse off at St Johnstone, was far more effective than Hagi, but got dogs abuse on here.

He worked far harder than Hagi out of possession too.

I'm not saying he won't be able to adjust to the domestic away games, but I'd prefer to see him prove he can before we shell out £5 million.

For avoidance of doubt, I think he will be able to adjust, but £5 million is a hell of a lot of money for us, so I just want to see it spent wisely.

I know what your saying about the rest of the season but at killie and at johnstone we were firing 70 yard high balls at him. Play the boy in the middle and I think we would see an even better player

He signed for Genk when he had better offers financially elsewhere as he thought they'd be better for his development.
So he's not as money driven as many modern players.
I think he'll see a year or 2 with us as a good springboard to taking him to where he wants to be longterm.

Hagi has talent, for sure. However, similar to MearnsUnionist, I was disappointed in his contribution against St Johnstone. I wrote previously that imo, Aribo and Hagi cannot play in the same team when we play away in Scotland. SG has to select only one of them. We need more guile and strength in the middle to combat the 'up and at them' attitude teams such as Killie and Hearts have mugged us recently. Even last night in Braga, SG saw fit to only have Hagi on, and only brought on Aribo by substituting Hagi. So, it is not a clear cut case of automatically purchasing the guy. Let's see by the end of May his overall contribution and then decide.

I wouldn't be in the least suprised if Gerrard goes with Kamberi and Kent in behind Morelos on Saturday.

This game will be even more intense and frenetic than Perth or Kilmarnock and the pitch will be like a ploughed field.

Our midfield 3 picks itself after last night.

We have first option if we want him for a pre arranged fee that option is only between us and Genk .
Other clubs can watch him even table bids for him in the summer ,but if we want him Genk must deal with us even if other clubs table larger bids.
Then the problems start say us and talking hypothetically
True, but if say Liverpool ( hypothetical) wanted him and made an offer, our 1st refusal only gets us so far. Will come down to where the player wants to be based on the offers he has on the table. We could well be a stepping stone even during this short loan period.

I know what your saying about the rest of the season but at killie and at johnstone we were firing 70 yard high balls at him. Play the boy in the middle and I think we would see an even better player

Where do you mean in the middle mate?

I think Jack, Davis and Arfield pick themselves for Saturday's battle in midfield.

I see your point a little. I don’t think he’s the level of Daniel Cousin in terms of being a ‘big game’ player. The issue was the whole team at Killie and St Johnstone. I still think he has done enough in the short time he’s been here to show he would be worth the £5mil.

Tha
True, but if say Liverpool ( hypothetical) wanted him and made an offer, our 1st refusal only gets us so far. Will come down to where the player wants to be based on the offers he has on the table. We could well be a stepping stone even during this short loan period.
That's exactly what my rambling speech was meant to say mate .

If our option to buy is binding, I was under the impression that that option would have to be bought out of for him to go elsewhere.

After the Braga night at Ibrox, I think Gerrard could use that feeling to push him to sign. Ibrox, baby.

Not to mention his dad thinks he's in the right place with the right manager for his career.

Imagine 1 full season at Rangers where you establish yourself and potentially go on to help win 55 and stop celtics 10 attempt. He'd have options from down south flying in.

Reactions: TQ3

Fair comment, so far I'd not pay £5M or the wages to match that fee, I'll change my mind if he excels v the Tim's.

I see your point a little. I don’t think he’s the level of Daniel Cousin in terms of being a ‘big game’ player. The issue was the whole team at Killie and St Johnstone. I still think he has done enough in the short time he’s been here to show he would be worth the £5mil.

Let's just see how March, April and May pan out for him mate.

He seems an intelligent enough player to be able to adapt to our domestic football.

I just want him to prove he can.

I'm certainly not saying he won't.

Not trying to be arsey but it is 5 million euros not pounds.

We are in the driving seat with the fee already agreed. No need to rush things. Looks a great talent but would like to see him playing centrally behind the striker to get the best out of him for the rest of the season.

If our option to buy is binding, I was under the impression that that option would have to be bought out of for him to go elsewhere.
Yes, if he wants to come, we can get him for the agreed price. All the other things still need to happen. Players wage demands. Length of contract etc. The deal only helps us in that if we want him, we are not in that Kent situation again where the club can start saying £10m, £12m etc. We just know how the land lies here. He's available for £5m. We'd still need to land the player.

I wouldn't be in the least suprised if Gerrard goes with Kamberi and Kent in behind Morelos on Saturday.

This game will be even more intense and frenetic than Perth or Kilmarnock and the pitch will be like a ploughed field.

Is Kamberi not cup tied?
I'm sure he played against the Arabs in an earlier round?

Teams will always track Hagi as he is such a good talent, doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll sign for them this summer. Mind you, what could happen is we sign him for permanent for €5m this summer then sell him for a quick profit. Doubt this happens, mind you.

I'd like to see that front line as well, but Kamberi is cup tied so won't be this weekend.

His quantifiable game-changing contributions so far have been excellent (missed penalty aside).

It's easy to forgot how difficult it is to slot into a team in January - particularly one with the pressure of Rangers.

Looks very good value at €5m.

He’s being played out of position and is literally still providing goals/assists.

Barca and Ajax were interested in him in the summer, would be ludicrous for us not to sign him.

Let's just see how March, April and May pan out for him mate.

He seems an intelligent enough player to be able to adapt to our domestic football.

I just want him to prove he can.

I'm certainly not saying he won't.

Totally agree with you and have thought the same. Really good talent and but let's see how it goes domestically til end if season.

If he continues like this til then then there is no question. I'm looking for consistency now which has been good up til now.

He's a young guy trying to adapt to a league that's filled with hammer thrower's, he's going to be inconsistent but I know what ur saying. Base it in May n see where we are with him.

He seems a smart lad and hopefully realises his development as a player would be better served by playing every week instead of coming off the bench at a Chelsea or Liverpool.
We heard his weakness was not working hard enough but Gerrard seems to have clamped down on that.

Think if we can tweak the formation so he is playing behind the sticker in a 10 role or tip of a diamond 4 in midfield he will be worth every penny. His vision for a pass is unreal. Sadly I think he lacks a touch of pace where he is being asked to play currently just now wide right but doing a good job nonetheless

He's a young guy trying to adapt to a league that's filled with hammer thrower's, he's going to be inconsistent but I know what ur saying. Base it in May n see where we are with him.

Exactly mate.

He seems to me the sort of intelligent player that will adapt to our domestic league.

I just want to see it from him before we shell out a massive chunk of our summer budget.

I wouldn't play the 433 mate just my opinion.
Davis. Jack
Arfield. Hagi. Kent
Striker

You need 3 central midfielders fighting for every ball when you go there mate.

Particularly in Saturday's cup game.

The state of the pitch will ensure it'll be an absolute battle.

He'll have signed a contract agreeing to the terms agreed with Genk - he's not a bit of meat that can be freely traded without his agreement. It could be that a club looks to buy our right to buy from us - a bit like drop shipping on Amazon and eBay.

Play him in a midfield 3 behind the forwards and watch him flourish.

A real No 10 who is doing a good job at the moment wide of centre.

4-3-3 is great against teams that come out to play against us but there’s no need for a flat 3 in the SPFL.

4-2-3-1 with Hagi behind the striker is what we need moving forward domestically in my opinion.

Living south of the border, I work with fans of English Premier League teams who have been aware of him since he sparkled against their U21s last summer. I've had fans of clubs like Spurs, when I've mentioned we have the option to sign him for £5 million, saying that they hope their team swoops in and gets him instead.

I think Hagi is a cert to sign after the UEFA games. The boy is making a big impression both at Rangers and in Europe, quite a jump from not playing for Genk. Added to his dad loving the Ibrox atmosphere, and getting the VIP treatment that only really big clubs can provide. I think Iannis will still be at Ibrox baby next season.

In our favour he will get game time at a big club if he moves to England, Spain etc it ain't to any of the big teams so it will only be for money!

Back