Halliday

Unfortunately the buffering was horrendous on RTV today, so missed most of the match + the goal, but it sounds like he did ok.
As I said, I like AH, but he does not have the tools, pace or delivery for where we need to be.
I'll trust Gerrard though, and if he wants to play him he'll always get my backing.
I get the feeling that I'm turning you.
I look forward to next game Halliday plays and you're on here praising him to the high heavens!
;)

I like how he gets in the box when we’re attacking something I’d actually like Barisic to do a bit more. He was unlucky not to get a goal, their keeper made a brilliant save.

I said it in the match thread that Andy played well.
Him, Scotty and Davis were totally committed.
Hagi and Jack did well too.
Pass marks otherwise.

Its horribly condescending how folk want to keep him as a mascot.
I think it's more condescending to think that folk that actually appreciate the fact he did a more than decent job today under difficult circumstances aren't considered by folk like you to acknowledge a decent performance when they see one and only have that opinion as they're "fanboys" who admire him because he's a "pure Rangers man!"
That's condescending!

We’ve got to consider just what kind of quality we could either afford or attract as backup in any position. Maybe some of the youngsters, but seriously, there are far richer clubs than us playing in bigger leagues who struggle when key players are out. Halliday covers two or three positions and can come off the bench to good effect also. So long as he isn’t keeping a promising young player out of a left sided opportunity, he must be kept around.

Put in a shift and was good going forward & one of the better players in blue. Doesn’t change my opinion that he should be thanked for his efforts and wished all the best in his future endeavours at the end of the season once his contract expires

He was fine today but should be allowed to leave in the summer. He's not of the standard required to win leagues.

Utter bollocks. The problem with this Rangers team is that we don't have enough players with Halliday's spirit. League winning teams of the past had guys like Broadfoot, John Brown, Alex Mcdonald, Tam Forsyth. None of them were silky soccer players like some of our current sand dancers but when the chips were down they knew what was required to get the job done for Rangers in the Scottish league.

If that’s the case you’d be getting rid of 70% of the team. Used to like tav but defensive liability against better teams and what’s he offering against Kilmarnock etc just now...
Your surely no comparing Tav to Halliday? Yes he’s no defensively great but what he offers offensively goes a long way to making up for it

Livi keeper done well to stop Andy from scoring and also his wee run before he went over the advertising boards was class

Utter bollocks. The problem with this Rangers team is that we don't have enough players with Halliday's spirit. League winning teams of the past had guys like Broadfoot, John Brown, Alex Mcdonald, Tam Forsyth. None of them were silky soccer players like some of our current sand dancers but when the chips were down they knew what was required to get the job done for Rangers in the Scottish league.

If that's the way you feel so be it. I'm just of the opinion that you need to be a bit better at football than he is to play for us. Each to their own.

He’s nowhere near good enough , if he wasn’t a staunch rangers fan he’d be gone a long time ago. The fact we accept this standard of player now is worrying.

Yet he was one of our better players today which is something considering he hasn't really kicked a ball for months. I'd have him over Flanagan any day of the week.

“We wont win titles with AH in the squad”

Bob Malcolm
Maurice Ross
Ian Murray
Kirk Broadfoot
Stephen Hughes
Stephen Thompson
Barry Nicholson

These players all have league title winner on their CV, I suppose Alex McLeish, Walter Smith, Dick Advocaat etc didnt have a clue about football if these squad players were in or around the team.
Noone is saying AH is a first pick player - But we need utility players in a squad like ours.

They have the likes of Hayes, Bitton etc that fill various roles, most title winning sides have a utility man in there. I never fear seeing his name on the team sheet. I know what we get from him.

He’s staunch. And if he wasn’t staunch the reviews would not be so good. Average at best.
You know whats funny, the fact that he was a fans favourite under Warburton just purely because he was a Rangers fan really grated on me, to the point I actively had a chip on my shoulder about it, but I feel that he has earned his place in our squad based on his ability and versatility.

He is a great squad player, plays in a variety of positions. I’d be concerned if he was a first pick but he is a great squad member to come in due to injuries

Your surely no comparing Tav to Halliday? Yes he’s no defensively great but what he offers offensively goes a long way to making up for it
I like the guy but he had sold us in lots of big games this season and defenders first job is to defend.
Not saying Halliday better, but if you think he’d not up to it I would also question if Tavernier is up to it at a high level (also he’s the captain and think everyone agrees the ‘Drive’ the team should have isn’t there).
It is what it is? We can’t afford an Arthur Newman or Gary Stevens, but annoys me when Halliday singled out. To me he offers as much as lot of ‘bigger names’

I was pissed off at the idiot in the black Rangers tracksuit (ballboy or not) sauntering towards him like nothing was going on, when it was clear he’d taken a sore one.

“We wont win titles with AH in the squad”

Bob Malcolm
Maurice Ross
Ian Murray
Kirk Broadfoot
Stephen Hughes
Stephen Thompson
Barry Nicholson

These players all have league title winner on their CV, I suppose Alex McLeish, Walter Smith, Dick Advocaat etc didnt have a clue about football if these squad players were in or around the team.
Noone is saying AH is a first pick player - But we need utility players in a squad like ours.

They have the likes of Hayes, Bitton etc that fill various roles, most title winning sides have a utility man in there. I never fear seeing his name on the team sheet. I know what we get from him.

5 of the 7 you mention performed well enough in their careers to receive international caps.

Hughes, Thompson, Murray and Malcolm largely played under McLeish during a period of downsizing was taking place.

I understand not every player in the squad can be a superstar, my heart says yes to another year for Halliday, but I’m not sure we will push on if he’s the calibre of player competing with Barasic for example for the LB slot.

Can’t believe the negativity. We all know Halliday isn’t Borna quality but I hope Gerrard points at him and tells the rest of the team his level of commitment today was outstanding. The reason we are in the position we are in is not because Andy Halliday isn’t a worthy backup utility player. It’s because too few more talented individuals match his level of commitment. If half of them match that level for the rest of the season, we still have a shot at this. If they don’t, we have no chance.

The area we lack compared to them is good quality squad depth. Halliday will leave in the summer with everyone’s best wishes but in order to win the league we need better. There’s been a noticeable difference when either tav or borna are out and that’s one of the areas we need to improve on in the summer

I actually think Andy Halliday is just quite a good footballer.

People forget that when he played midfield we still dominated possession in every game. Just had shite defenders and no goal scorers at the time. And he played with wee holt, against endless big lumps. Guy never gets the credit he deserves for his ability.

No. Being a “good Rangers man” doesn’t cut it anymore. We need to win and to do that we need to be ruthless.

Back