Halliday

He had a very good 2nd half and was unlucky not to score with his chance in the 1st. At least you can never fault his commitment.

He left everything on the pitch today including a bit of his eye socket and played on. I wouldn't object to him getting a contract extension to keep our squad depth.

The grief the guy gets on here is appalling.
He's not borna but he never lets us down when called upon.
No Surrender Andy Halliday
Agree and if Killie and today are judgement days regarding which full back to retain thenTav should get a one way ticket back to Wigan.
Over the years there have been many “ Andy Halliday “ whom the manager could throw a Blue Jersey to and know he not be let down.
Save the P45s for some of the imposters we have.

If some of our other players had been a bit sharper in the box Andy would have had at least two or three assists today.
I just don't get a lot of the negativity with Halliday on here, he's not a regular first team player, he's a utility man that very rarely lets us down when called upon, in fact he was one of our best players today and was a strong contender for MOTM.
Give the guy a break!

It was actually a good positive thread until you posted on it!
:rolleyes:

Haha, just giving my honest opinion.
There's no doubting his commitment and I like the guy, but he's not the left back cover that Rangers need for Borna.
I'd rather we used one of our wingers like JJ to fill in for BB. Too slow and zero attacking threat.

He's not good enough simple as that and that's why we are behind Celtic because the back up players aren't good enough.

Celtics bench compared to ours today was night and day

He should be let go simple as that if we have nobody better in the youth department coming up then we are in a bad place.

We should have 2 good players for every position and the backup after that should be Youth team players.

He has done incredibly well to last as long as he has with us. That’s down to having a brilliant attitude. Unfortunately he can’t match that with the required level of ability. He’s not good enough. No doubt he did well today but I thought he was a major problem for us on Wednesday. Every first touch was negative and slowed our tempo down. He took the safe option every time. Wish him well but if we want to be the top team in the country then we need much better than Andy.

Gerrard saying he almost lost his eye
That thought crossed my mind when I first saw him lying behind the boards.
It looked like one of the legs of the hordings had caught him and I feared the worst.
Half an inch lower and he quite possibly could have lost an eye...horrible thought!

If we have money to invest in a back up to Borna, then it needs done. We need a proper left back.

Nothing against Halliday, he has performed a spectacular u-turn since Pedro, and performed brilliantly when Gerrard first arrived.

But we badly need to upgrade the quality of the squad again to be able to go the distance. There is no room for sentiment. Same goes for Flanagan.
Do you think we can afford £2m to spend on a back up left back?

Haha, just giving my honest opinion.
There's no doubting his commitment and I like the guy, but he's not the left back cover that Rangers need for Borna.
I'd rather we used one of our wingers like JJ to fill in for BB. Too slow and zero attacking threat.
Zero attacking threat?
Did you actually see how many dangerous balls he put into the box today?
As a replacement left back he did far more today than Flanagan has done whenever he's been used as a replacement...and full back's his natural position.
C'mon, give the guy some credit when it's due.

He played well today apart from that first half cross. It's really important he continues to play like that with Barisic out injured.

We simply can't keep average players like Halliday around the club on a playing basis, he may have showed a few flashes but he near cost us 2 points also near the the end. I'f we seriously want to chalkenge the beggars then we need to free up wages and buy better

He done well today and will start until Borna is fit.

We need better squad players though as we currently lack strength in depth when certain players are out.

How much did Tavernier cost and he's our number 1 right back. A back up left back doesn't have to cost £2m or any thing like it.

That's where Ross Wilson earns his corn.
That's a fair enough point however its going to be hard to attract a top quality left back to come in as cover to Scottish football, on the modest wage Halliday is on.

He always puts a shift in, plays for the jersey.

We have let others go and we have been left wondering why when the show promise with others.

Do we judge our own to high.

We may end up needing two left backs in the summer I would keep Halliday around for another year

Folk can bang on about his lack of quality all they want. We might need better quality but most of our signings this season haven't been quality.

Put in lots more effort and showed more quality than many of FFs and the management's favourites today.

That's a fair enough point however its going to be hard to attract a top quality left back to come in as cover to Scottish football, on the modest wage Halliday is on.

That's Ross Wilson's job.

We are so adamant on playing one system so we've got to get the right players in. No point in losing Tavernier or Barišić, keeping the same set up and bringing in the complete opposite. Look how we struggled with certain players out the side because their replacement were of a lesser quality and completely different style.

I'd love to know how much some on like Flanagan is on - he's back up and I bet he's on higher wages than Halliday.

You've got Patterson to deputise Tavernier - unless he's sent out on loan. Like for like. We've got to do the same over on the left full back area.

That's Ross Wilson's job.

We are so adamant on playing one system so we've got to get the right players in. No point in losing Tavernier or Barišić, keeping the same set up and bringing in the complete opposite. Look how we struggled with certain players out the side because their replacement were of a lesser quality and completely different style.

I'd love to know how much some on like Flanagan is on - he's back up and I bet he's on higher wages than Halliday.

You've got Patterson to deputise Tavernier - unless he's sent out on loan. Like for like. We've got to do the same over on the left full back area.
I’m sure I read on here Flanagan is on £20,000 per week.

Zero attacking threat?
Did you actually see how many dangerous balls he put into the box today?
As a replacement left back he did far more today than Flanagan has done whenever he's been used as a replacement...and full back's his natural position.
C'mon, give the guy some credit when it's due.

Unfortunately the buffering was horrendous on RTV today, so missed most of the match + the goal, but it sounds like he did ok.
As I said, I like AH, but he does not have the tools, pace or delivery for where we need to be.
I'll trust Gerrard though, and if he wants to play him he'll always get my backing.

I like Halliday he shows what it means to wear our famous shirt. Hes not our greatest ever player but he definitely puts in a shift and never hides.

Well played big man. IMO he should be given an extension to his contract that expires in the summer. He may not be the most skilful player, but he’d run through walls to play for us. After we lost to killie a lot of people were saying there weren’t enough people in our team that would be ripping doors off their hinges, he’d be one who was.

He put over a couple of great crosses as well the one across the 6yd box should have ended up in the back of the net.

Where do you play him?

He’s never good enough for midfield. Is he the back up left back we want?

He played well today. But being a Rangers fan and wearing a bandage after falling over an advertisment board shouldn't merit a very average player getting a contract extension.

He's never going to be first choice but has been ok when thrown in. He's not BB by any stretch of the imagination however he's a 100% trier.

Back