Hamburg v St Pauli Derby - Friday 30/10/20 Kick-off 5:30pm

Korova Milk Bar

Tomorrow will mark the first Hamburg derby this season, HSV have won all of their matches this season (5 so far) whereas St Pauli have only won one. Massive game for Hamburg as they look to keep up the momentum with the hope of automatic promotion this season after three consecutive seasons in Bundesliga 2.

Kick-off is at 5:30pm and the game can be watched on BT Sport 2.

I've been a fan of HSV now for a few years after learning more about the friendship between us and HSV. Best of luck to our brothers this season and hopefully we'll have us winning 55 and HSV being back in the top flight of German football where they belong.

A brief history

For anyone unsure of the friendship between both clubs it began in the early 1970s when Rangers fans relocated to the Hamburg Docks and set-up their own Rangers Supporters Club. Many HSV fans made a trip over to Glasgow in the 70s to experience the Ibrox atmosphere and came back home telling their friends and family how nice the club, stadium and city is. Since then, the signing of Jorg Albertz in 1996 further strengthened the friendship. As well as this, in 2009 HSV played Celtic in the UEFA Cup in which the Nordtribüne (Hamburg's terracing section where the main Ultras are located) unveiled a tifo which included a Union Jack with HSV colours along with the banner "NO SURRENDER."

It should also be noted that Celtic have had a friendship with St Pauli now for some years due us associating with HSV and St Pauli is a traditionally left leaning club like Celtic and share the same political views.

Furthermore, the other HSV Ultras group "Chosen Few" (now disbanded) located in Block 22c (top left of the photo below) always had Rangers flags at games and had a friendship with the Union Bears.

131303_271990116237515_448285636_o.jpg

Celtic v HSV 2009

When HSV played Celtic at Parkhead, the HSV fans were in full voice with Rangers chants and flags. :))

(CLICK THE TITLE OF THE VIDEO AND NOT THE PLAY BUTTON FOR THE VIDEO TO WORK ON MOBILE)

WV8-Celtic-v-Hamburg.jpg

EAuYZMrWwAABchy.jpg

HSV v Rangers Friendly 2011

Two years after playing Celtic, a friendly was organised in November of 2011. This took place at the Volksparkstadion with a few Rangers fans making the journey over. I'm sure that if this took place again in the near future there would be an incredible support whether that be from HSV fans coming over or vice versa. There definitely seems to be far more Rangers fans who have an affinity with Hamburg these days with both of the clubs interacting with each other on social media.

WV40-Hamburg-v-Rangers.jpg

7159f57777afe1a5d43aeb81d30d78e2.jpg

40 Year Friendship Anniversary 2017

To mark the 40 years since the friendship between both clubs began, the Union Bears created a tifo against Aberdeen.

24273679_1500045720032202_9153195352421097270_o.jpg

They also travelled to Hamburg to unveil the banner when HSV played Wolfsburg at home.

25299752_1512290482141059_2057813236749344722_o.jpg

25188631_1512290505474390_784691119357473126_o.jpg

That being said, Mon the Gers tonight and Viel Glück an HSV am Freitag! Let's hope another friendly takes place in the future when fans are back. :))

Was at the last one in February. Great atmosphere but massive let down from Hamburg. Totally shat the bed.

Does that supporters club in Hamburg still exist?Ive been to a few games there and had the privilege of being invited into 22C years ago versus Werder Bremen,great times every time we visit though -9 one winter on a Friday night versus Bayern was brutal being full of ale was not the best.Still,back to the wee lane across from Tankstelle warmed us up...

A truly fantastic city. Lived there for 18 months and was made more than welcome by every HSV fan I met.

Hoping to get back over for the promotion party at the end of this season.

St Pauli are scum.
Got flights booked for the last game of the season. Praying covid is on the way out by then

Got flights booked for the last game of the season. Praying covid is on the way out by then
Ages away but Ryanair started to pull some of the Edinburgh Hamburg ones. Had one cancelled for end of month, got another for Feb. Hoping it doesn’t go the way of the Manchester service which they’ve stopped now. Really good times at the minute from Edinburgh and back. The EasyJet flights you are probably on are spot on for that weekend, be great if they kept them like that long term.

Last edited:
Wast at our friendly over there. Went back a couple of years later and did a stadium tour, the guide spoke about our visit and the number of supporters who travelled over for a midweek friendly

Been a few times to Hamburg, met a good few folk over there who I still keep in contact with, you’re very well received in the Tankstelle if you are a Rangers fan and they’ll happily put some rangers songs on for you.

Went to the derby in 2018 at Volkspark when it was 0-0, thought the atmosphere was terrible, wasn’t what I expected. The game was terrible quality as well. Mind you I’d been out til about 5am on the drink and the extras so was hitting quite a bad comedown!

Cheers for that OP and looking forward to the game.

Good lady and me were due to fly over to Hamburg next week but KLM cancelled flights which is maybe just as well.

HSV going well this year after a rocky start in the Pokal.

Will be good to get a proper derby for SVW - been a bit boring the past few years without you ;)

Been going to Hamburg for over 20 years. Anyone on here go to the Hamburg supporters night at Ibrox? 2 or 3 years ago in the Ibrox suite.

I was in that Hamburg end at the piggery that night. The walk to the ground will live with me for ages.

Been to quite a few games over there the last few years including the last 4 derbys, gutted to be missing this one

Really hope Hamburg smash them. After the Paedos they are by far the club I dislike the most in World football.

Tomorrow will mark the first Hamburg derby this season, HSV have won all of their matches this season (5 so far) whereas St Pauli have only won one. Massive game for Hamburg as they look to keep up the momentum with the hope of automatic promotion this season after three consecutive seasons in Bundesliga 2.

Kick-off is at 5:30pm and the game can be watched on BT Sport 2.

I've been a fan of HSV now for a few years after learning more about the friendship between us and HSV. Best of luck to our brothers this season and hopefully we'll have us winning 55 and HSV being back in the top flight of German football where they belong.

A brief history

For anyone unsure of the friendship between both clubs it began in the early 1970s when Rangers fans relocated to the Hamburg Docks and set-up their own Rangers Supporters Club. Many HSV fans made a trip over to Glasgow in the 70s to experience the Ibrox atmosphere and came back home telling their friends and family how nice the club, stadium and city is. Since then, the signing of Jorg Albertz in 1996 further strengthened the friendship. As well as this, in 2009 HSV played Celtic in the UEFA Cup in which the Nordtribüne (Hamburg's terracing section where the main Ultras are located) unveiled a tifo which included a Union Jack with HSV colours along with the banner "NO SURRENDER."

It should also be noted that Celtic have had a friendship with St Pauli now for some years due us associating with HSV and St Pauli is a traditionally left leaning club like Celtic and share the same political views.

Furthermore, the other HSV Ultras group "Chosen Few" (now disbanded) located in Block 22c (top left of the photo below) always had Rangers flags at games and had a friendship with the Union Bears.

131303_271990116237515_448285636_o.jpg

Celtic v HSV 2009

When HSV played Celtic at Parkhead, the HSV fans were in full voice with Rangers chants and flags. :))

(CLICK THE TITLE OF THE VIDEO AND NOT THE PLAY BUTTON FOR THE VIDEO TO WORK ON MOBILE)

WV8-Celtic-v-Hamburg.jpg

EAuYZMrWwAABchy.jpg

HSV v Rangers Friendly 2011

Two years after playing Celtic, a friendly was organised in November of 2011. This took place at the Volksparkstadion with a few Rangers fans making the journey over. I'm sure that if this took place again in the near future there would be an incredible support whether that be from HSV fans coming over or vice versa. There definitely seems to be far more Rangers fans who have an affinity with Hamburg these days with both of the clubs interacting with each other on social media.

WV40-Hamburg-v-Rangers.jpg

7159f57777afe1a5d43aeb81d30d78e2.jpg

40 Year Friendship Anniversary 2017

To mark the 40 years since the friendship between both clubs began, the Union Bears created a tifo against Aberdeen.

24273679_1500045720032202_9153195352421097270_o.jpg

They also travelled to Hamburg to unveil the banner when HSV played Wolfsburg at home.

25299752_1512290482141059_2057813236749344722_o.jpg

25188631_1512290505474390_784691119357473126_o.jpg

That being said, Mon the Gers tonight and Viel Glück an HSV am Freitag! Let's hope another friendly takes place in the future when fans are back. :))
Great post mate.

Been a few times to Hamburg, met a good few folk over there who I still keep in contact with, you’re very well received in the Tankstelle if you are a Rangers fan and they’ll happily put some Rangers songs on for you.

Went to the derby in 2018 at Volkspark when it was 0-0, thought the atmosphere was terrible, wasn’t what I expected. The game was terrible quality as well. Mind you I’d been out til about 5am on the drink and the extras so was hitting quite a bad comedown!
Lot of people say that they are underwhelmed by it all now. Went in 2003 first and felt like a different world and really good, last went in 2012 and wasn’t much special really - full of stag do types, which you can get anywhere in the Bundesliga to be fair. Always a good laugh in the bars though, last time I was in Tankstelle the fella behind bar never charged me for my first 4 beers.

Any betting tips for the game?
I hate saying it but St Pauli at 5/1 is decent value. HSV have a habit of collapsing when it matters and after winning the first 5 games I can see it happening tonight

Lot of people say that they are underwhelmed by it all now. Went in 2003 first and felt like a different world and really good, last went in 2012 and wasn’t much special really - full of stag do types, which you can get anywhere in the Bundesliga to be fair. Always a good laugh in the bars though, last time I was in Tankstelle the fella behind bar never charged me for my first 4 beers.

Noticing a few of your posts - it seems you've experienced a number of games around the globe. Great stuff. Maybe worth a thread of your own at some point.

Hamburg is a great city, been there a few times with Lady T and also a good few times for games. Atmosphere is good especially in the standing area, although I have only managed tickets once for that area. A friendly between us and HSV would be brilliant.

Hamburg is a great city, been there a few times with Lady T and also a good few times for games. Atmosphere is good especially in the standing area, although I have only managed tickets once for that area. A friendly between us and HSV would be brilliant.
Really hope to manage to get into the Nordtribüne when I’m over there although it’s difficult so I’ve heard.

Noticing a few of your posts - it seems you've experienced a number of games around the globe. Great stuff. Maybe worth a thread of your own at some point.
When we can go away again mate!

PAOK
Club America (Azteca)
Lazio
Dinamo Zagreb
Newells Old Boys

are the 5 I really want to do that I haven’t already.

10 or so left to do in top 3 divisions in Germany, will do them with Hansa in time.

Hope HSV win anyway, 1 Hansa is worth a 1000 St Pauli.

Back