Hamilton Accies' kitman resigns amid pro-IRA social media post probe

sandy2478

The Record previously revealed the club had launched a probe into a post that read "Well done the RA" on Kevin McGroarty's Instagram

A Hamilton Accies kitman who shared an image supporting the IRA has stepped down from his role at the club.

The premiership side confirmed that Kevin McGroarty, who had only been the first-team kitman for a month, resigned.

It comes amid a club probe into a post on the 26-year-old's Instagram page, apparently in a pub, with the words "Venoms at the Dubliner, well done the RA."

“RA” is a shortened term for the IRA.

We previously revealed concerns from horrified fans who contacted the Daily Record after seeing the post on McGroarty’s account on Monday.

The issue was discussed by the Accies' board of directors on Tuesday morning who unanimously agreed to launch an investigation.

On Friday a spokesperson for Hamilton Accies said: "The club can confirm that Kevin McGroarty, a kit man at Hope Stadium, has resigned from his position".

Fans previously expressed their outrage at what they called "bigoted, hate-filled behaviour".

One said: “This has gone on social media and Hamilton Accies fan forums.

“We are disgusted that the club have employed someone like this, supporting the IRA and we have contacted the club to take action.”

Another lifelong supporter of the club said: “It doesn’t matter if he’s on holiday and got a bit drunk. The fans of the club and the management of this club will not tolerate this type of bigoted, hate-filled behaviour.

It has no place here. As a club, we’re the opposite of that.

“He can take his baggage elsewhere because this will not stand at this club.”

When contacted on Tuesday, McGroarty, told the Record: “I’ve not got time just now. Can I get back to you?”

The Record previously revealed the club had launched a probe into a post that read "Well done the RA" on Kevin McGroarty's Instagram

A Hamilton Accies kitman who shared an image supporting the IRA has stepped down from his role at the club.

The premiership side confirmed that Kevin McGroarty, who had only been the first-team kitman for a month, resigned.

It comes amid a club probe into a post on the 26-year-old's Instagram page, apparently in a pub, with the words "Venoms at the Dubliner, well done the RA."

We previously revealed concerns from horrified fans who contacted the Daily Record after seeing the post on McGroarty’s account on Monday.

The issue was discussed by the Accies' board of directors on Tuesday morning who unanimously agreed to launch an investigation.

On Friday a spokesperson for Hamilton Accies said: "The club can confirm that Kevin McGroarty, a kit man at Hope Stadium, has resigned from his position".

Fans previously expressed their outrage at what they called "bigoted, hate-filled behaviour".

“We are disgusted that the club have employed someone like this, supporting the IRA and we have contacted the club to take action.”

Another lifelong supporter of the club said: “It doesn’t matter if he’s on holiday and got a bit drunk. The fans of the club and the management of this club will not tolerate this type of bigoted, hate-filled behaviour.

When contacted on Tuesday, McGroarty, told the Record: “I’ve not got time just now. Can I get back to you?”
he should have been sacked

He should have been sacked. Not only that, he should be question by the cops as well. Showing support for the IRA is illegal - why is that fact being ignored so often?

We just need to listen to the bile emanating from the glitterdome Devilman,its been getting ignored for years and God only knows why they cretins are not being prosecuted to the full extent of the law,makes me sick what they get away with.

Has he not got back to the DR yet?

I think Useless established a strict 20 day policy on this.

Can someone tell me what he said as I must have missed it?

In fact he shouldn't be allowed to resign. He should be sacked and have that on his employment record.

Accies should refuse to give him a reference in future. Speaks volumes on its own.

Scumbag!
No need to refuse a reference. The fact his employment ended after a month (and when he was on holiday), tells you all you need to know

Tatie bye :)

In fact he shouldn't be allowed to resign. He should be sacked and have that on his employment record.

Accies should refuse to give him a reference in future. Speaks volumes on its own.

Scumbag!

Can you refuse to let someone resign? In employment law terms I mean.

this should be on his record within the football community, he should be made to declare his support for terrorist organisations, like a Paedophile would have to declare his fondness for children. Should he apply for a job anywhere.

"I've had death threats" article has probably already been written and are just waiting a few hours before submitting it.

Great irony when the supporters of a Terrorist group, who provides death threats in the form of letter bombs amongst other things, go on to say they can't cope with death threats themselves.

mentally challengeds.

He's got plenty of time now to have a long holidays with his heroes from across the water and it gets him out of Scotland as well.:))

Another Tim on dole.what a surprise enjoy your summer holidays lol

Had he been sacked he would be getting what he deserved, stupid prick! But he resigned likely in a fake effort to show remorse........

Back