Hamilton players who tested positive return negative results

Was the same with the first set of St Mirren positive tests a few weeks ago was it not?

Yet still have to self isolate for 10 days from date of original failed test.
Whats the point in retesting them?
Folk shout about labs holding up tests and the need for more testing but if they are pish in the first place...whats the point?

Yup. I think it’s happened several times now. Positive test with the SFAs ‘chosen’ contractor then go to the NHS and test negative.

I take it the SFA aren't using the same British company the EPL are using?

Have we appointed a separate shitey contractor to deal with things?

Can the St Mirren goalie play against Celtic now then given that Alnwick was only linked via Hodson who tested positive? Has Hodson been one of the now negative tests?

Last edited:
Same thing happened to Gogic at Hibs. Tested positive and had to miss a game, turned out to be a false positive. Seems to be quite a few cases like this.

Can the St Mirren goalie's play against Celtic now then?

No idea mate. The clubs were given three options, in order of costs: buy your own equipment, pay a company to come and take tests and analyse them on site or take the tests yourself and send them to a lab. The SFA sourced a contractor to do the third, cheapest, option.

The test is a shambles. Much like the handling of all things covid nowadays.

Modern day footballers have got more chance of catching super gonorrhea from a gang bang on a team night out, than they do having any resulting issues from covid.
Your last point isn’t accurate. Lingering after effects are quite common, regardless of how fit a person is. I’m in my mid 30s and I was in good physical shape. It took me 3 months to fully recover from a moderate case of covid.
Covid could easily put a footballer out of action for a large part of the season.

Can the St Mirren goalie's play against Celtic now then?

The St Mirren goalies haven't produced negative tests, so no.

The St Mirren goalies haven't produced negative tests, so no.

I thought Alnwick had only tested positive as a result of being linked to Hodson?

Is Hodson not one of those who has now tested negative?

Have the St Mirren players linked to it been retested now?

What's the point of testing? If someone has symptoms then they must isolate. They dont need a test.

If someone has to work or deal with the public, such as a teacher, then they need a test, but how often?

If there's an outbreak in a care home or school then everyone needs tested.

Apart from these examples, why are we testing?

Im genuinely asking as I dont understand the current demand for hundreds of thousands of tests.

PS Im assuming we all agree test and trace isnt workable with so many infected.

The test is a shambles. Much like the handling of all things covid nowadays.

Modern day footballers have got more chance of catching super gonorrhea from a gang bang on a team night out, than they do having any resulting issues from covid.
I wish to announce the cancellation of my forthcoming gang bang on medical grounds

What's the point of testing? If someone has symptoms then they must isolate. They dont need a test.

If someone has to work or deal with the public, such as a teacher, then they need a test, but how often?

Im genuinely asking as I dont understand the current demand for hundreds of thousands of tests.

You can have the virus but no symptoms in which case you'd be unknowingly spreading it everywhere you go

I thought Alnwick had only tested positive as a result of being linked to Hodson?

hodson was self isolating as he had been in contact with Alnwick who tested positive, he wasn’t one of the three.

If it’s an SPFL linked testing facility, I reckon that we’ll see some of our players test positive the week before the game against them, then the subsequent test coming back negative but leaving our players to isolate for 10days regardless. It’s almost written in the stars....

qowFXsy.gif

Yet still have to self isolate for 10 days from date of original failed test.
Whats the point in retesting them?
Folk shout about labs holding up tests and the need for more testing but if they are pish in the first place...whats the point?

In case the second test result is false and the first one was true.

I thought it was the other way around.

Alnwick tested positive and Hodson had been in his company.

Likewise, due to Alnwick testing positive, St Mirren's other 2 goalies were tested, as they train together closely. The reserve keeper tested positive and the 3rd choice tested negative, but had to self-isolate due to close contact with the other two.

Bizarrely, their goalkeeping coach Jamie Langfied, who presumably also worked in close contact with the 3 keepers, didn't need to self-isolate and was on the bench on Saturday. The 3rd choice keeper is also back on the bench tonight.

Well, Academical is correct. We may disagree with the policy, but can accept it if consistently applied.
It is critical that the divergence in test outcomes is urgently addressed.

PS I have a soft spot for Accies. Crap pitch. Les Gray got it wrong. But Rice seems a football man and respectful, they do well with few recourses, and they contribute hugely to Scottish football with youth coaching and development ( sorry, off topic ).

A player can be asymptomatic, ie not showing any symptoms. He becomes a super-spreader - an individual who is more likely to infect others, compared with a typical infected person...because no one is looking out for him. Hence all need testing.

You can have the virus but no symptoms in which case you'd be unknowingly spreading it everywhere you go

Im aware of this but Ive never been for a test just like 60 million others in the UK. Unless everyone gets tested frequently, what's the point? Even if you get tested one day you can catch it the next so you'd be spreading it unknowingly.

Aside from the examples I gave above I dont see the purpose of testing.

If it’s an SPFL linked testing facility, I reckon that we’ll see some of our players test positive the week before the game against them, then the subsequent test coming back negative but leaving our players to isolate for 10days regardless. It’s almost written in the stars....
Thats why I said earlier if its a rhabid doing the initial tests, we're stuffed.
ps I love a good conspiracy theory.

Im aware of this but Ive never been for a test just like 60 million others in the UK. Unless everyone gets tested frequently, what's the point? Even if you get tested one day you can catch it the next so you'd be spreading it unknowingly.

Aside from the examples I gave above I dont see the purpose of testing.
I guess it's less to do with negative tests which aren't that useful as you've already pointed out and more to do with positive tests. If someone knows they have the virus they can isolate and this will make a small dent in the number of people infected.

A player can be asymptomatic, ie not showing any symptoms. He becomes a super-spreader - an individual who is more likely to infect others, compared with a typical infected person...because no one is looking out for him. Hence all need testing.

I covered this above with the example of someone working with members of the public. Players, teachers, care workers etc fall into this category.

I guess it's less to do with negative tests which aren't that useful as you've already pointed out and more to do with positive tests. If someone knows they have the virus they can isolate and this will make a small dent in the number of people infected.

But how would anyone/everyone (no pun intended) know unless we ALL get tested?

Are we just randomly testing people who think they might have it so that saves them isolating if they're negative?

Are we just randomly testing people who think they might have it so that saves them isolating if they're negative?
I'm no expert but I'd imagine without a vaccine the goal would be to test everyone - we just don't have the capabilities at the moment but I guess that's what we're striving towards.

With our limited test capabilities at the moment we just have to try and prioritise those who suspect they have it or key workers etc.

@weenippy might have some more answers haha

I'm no expert but I'd imagine without a vaccine the goal would be to test everyone - we just don't have the capabilities at the moment but I guess that's what we're striving towards.

With our limited test capabilities at the moment we just have to try and prioritise those who suspect they have it or key workers etc.

@weenippy might have some more answers haha

I agree. Its a case of key workers first but those that think they have it should just isolate.

My point is its really a waste of time and money unless they're going to test everyone and do it frequently.

I agree. Its a case of key workers first but those that think they have it should just isolate.

My point is its really a waste of time and money unless they're going to test everyone and do it frequently.
We need to make sure as best as possible asymptomatics self isolate, get them off the street. And the Govt want people back to work not sitting at home for two weeks with their entire family doing nothing when they might be clear. Testing resolves both situations. No testing isnt an option, it gives the virus free reign and kills far too many unnecessarily.

The false positives with community testing are running at an average of 2.5% - that just happens to be slightly less than the percentage who are testing positive every day in Scotland. Bearing in mind a small number of these are hospital tests which are far more accurate and community testing is clustered in areas with so called spikes - I’d suggest many of the 260 odd +ve tests (not cases) in Scotland today are false.

We’re being taken for a ride by politicians who are using fear to shroud the (decreasing) risk of them missing a second wave.

stats are all there if people chose to look at them

Last edited:
Back