Match Thread Hamilton v Rangers - 13:30 Sunday - Sky Sports

Gerrard looked very disappointing at the performance which is how we all feel. As he says it’s 3 away points in the bag and time to move on. Two big matches this week to focus on and plenty of scope to raise our game. Play like today on Thu we’ll get nothing out the game and we know how much the sheep will raise their game on Sunday, games against us is what they live for.

Agree with most of this, as a whole the performance was poor. Factors to consider were the constant break up of play, continual fouls on Morelos etc. Katic didn't have a great game in all honesty.

I'm not going to bash our team and look at the end result 1 : 4 that will do for me.

Tav's penalties have been well executed and long may it continue.

Re Alfie, he was getting assaulted all over the place and possibly looked like he had a minor hamstring issue but never gave up, kept going and got his reward. Overall I'm well chuffed.

Good last 10 mins mate. :)

I'm pretty one dimensional when it comes to the tedddies.

Of course the result in the end up will always be the most important thing. I'm just of the opinion, continuing to perform like we did today will not result in many wins away from home.

I also don't agree with 'the pitch is a leveller' argument.

For me, if you have better and more talented players, then the better player should be able to contend with inferior conditions, whether it be weather or artificial pitches.

As I said I'm pretty one dimensional when it comes to football. Of course you will always have fluke results, but more often than not, if you have the desire and the proper attitude, then skill should always beat the inferior player.

Gie's peace.

It was an absolutely dreadful performance and anyone who thinks we can continue to play like that yet will still continue to get all three points is deluded.

The first goal was a thing of beauty, the first penalty was a stonewaller, thought the second was soft and the finish for the fourth was a sublime strike.

Refereeing wise, how the mong lookalike stayed on the park after the barge midway through the second half, is typical of the cheats in black. As for the yellow for Morelos? A complete joke.

But that level of performance should not be condoned.

Better teams than Hamilton won't be as easy to prise the points from.

No one is saying it was a good performance. Its the knicker twisters giving up on the league at 80 minutes.

We broke a mental barrier by winning, hopefully our away form will grow.

I will take the positives and look forward to it rather than greet like a bird on the blob.

Whilst we didn't play very well today, the quality of all 4 goals was exceptional. Alfie's ball for Kent's opener was perfectly weighted and on his weaker side, Kent's finish was excellent, again on his weaker side but he is very two footed. Under pressure (the first one especially) Tav's penalties were both very well taken and Alfie's finish for the fourth was perfectly executed, again on his weaker side, running away from goal and with a man on the line. Good to see Rossiter hasn't lost his bite and Grezda got a few minutes. While we didn't play very well we did get the 3 points and there were a few positives to be had.

That was a good result to get today - made a bit of a hard job of it but got the result in the end. Couple of things that were good today. Kent was excellent again and took his goal very well. Great to see Rossiter back and Morelos keeping up the scoring. Thought Halliday had a good game also and is keeping up the justifying his selection.

Was a good goal that boy Boyd scored for them but he was given too much time. Also, I think it's fair to see why Worrall is playing ahead of Katic - something not looking right with the big man and hopefully he snaps out of it. More than capable.
First penalty was a definite and he probably could have been sent off watching again. The 2nd was perhaps a little soft but still was a penalty - Tav took them well.

That pitch is fucking awful - the bounce is so unnatural - even the moving across the ground isn't right. They need to be removed in top level football. The bounce of the ball probably didn't help Penny when he gave away his first penalty in fact.

The performance was shite - I don't think anyone is saying otherwise.

But at 1-1 if you had offered me 4-1 I'd have bit your hand off and danced about my garden with joy and relief.

That's all that matters.

We played great at Pittodrie and had 3 points snatched from us. We played shite today but got all 3. I know which I prefer.

No one, Gerrard included, is saying the performance was good but at the same time no one (other than yourself) is coming out with pathetic guff like this either:

"Probably the least happy I've ever been after a win"
Danced about your garden with joy and relief?!

Sounds like a line from a William McGonagall poem!

But I know what you mean mate, I danced about my kitchen with joy and relief after our third went in.

I'm pretty one dimensional when it comes to the tedddies.

Of course the result in the end up will always be the most important thing. I'm just of the opinion, continuing to perform like we did today will not result in many wins away from home.

I also don't agree with 'the pitch is a leveller' argument.

For me, if you have better and more talented players, then the better player should be able to contend with inferior conditions, whether it be weather or artificial pitches.

As I said I'm pretty one dimensional when it comes to football. Of course you will always have fluke results, but more often than not, if you have the desire and the proper attitude, then skill should always beat the inferior player.

Good result from a poor performance. Enjoy your day mate.

I think you need to realise we've dodged a serious bullet and straighten your greeting face.

Ah now we're getting somewhere.

I don't want us "dodging bullets" against the 2nd worst - maybe even the worst - team in this league, who got horsed 6-0 last time out.

So while I'm happy with the result, I'm not as happy as I'd usually be because we came far too close to chucking it away with 10 minutes to go.

Got it?

That was a good result to get today - made a bit of a hard job of it but got the result in the end. Couple of things that were good today. Kent was excellent again and took his goal very well. Great to see Rossiter back and Morelos keeping up the scoring. Thought Halliday had a good game also and is keeping up the justifying his selection.

Was a good goal that boy Boyd scored for them but he was given too much time. Also, I think it's fair to see why Worrall is playing ahead of Katic - something not looking right with the big man and hopefully he snaps out of it. More than capable.

The two penalties were a little soft but were penalties - Tav took them well.

That pitch is fucking awful - the bounce is so unnatural - even the moving across the ground isn't right. They need to be removed in top level football. The bounce of the ball probably didn't help Penny when he gave away his first penalty in fact.
Imagine having to watch football on that pitch every other week

But what if he just boots it away with his left foot like any normal person?

Of course I'll take the 3 points but let's not kid on it wasn't a fucking brutal performance that would've seen us get a hiding at most other venues in the league. Hamilton are absolutely shite.
The one standout for us today. Especially considering the challenges he took without protection from the ref.
He looks every bit the modern number 9.

The whole anti Morelos patter is laughable. It’s either people with an agenda or people who know nothing about football.
The team were poor today, but Morelos managed to put together almost the complete package as a lone striker.
You can perceptibly see the improvement with every game.
The influence of coaching and the wee man's own ambition will bear a fine harvest.
How much would Scotland love to have a player like this in their team?

Ah now we're getting somewhere.

I don't want us "dodging bullets" against the 2nd worst - maybe even the worst - team in this league, who got horsed 6-0 last time out.

So while I'm happy with the result, I'm not as happy as I'd usually be because we came far too close to chucking it away with 10 minutes to go.

Got it?

You clearly don't "get it".

No one is happy with the performance - you're not special or alone in that opinion.

But sometimes you just have to take the 3 points and move on. Today was one of those days.

We won. Cheer up and enjoy the rest of your weekend. :)

Would be horrific. Generally players that are forced to play on these types of pitches start to get used to it and get an advantage from it - the Accies players don't look comfortable playing on it either.

We are obviously not where we need to be on a consistent basis but you need to win some games, I'd argue lots of games, ugly over the course of a season. In that regard, today was mission accomplished. Three points away from home.

But we obviously need to improve on that performance. We played better at Aberdeen and Motherwell and dropped four points. We can play a lot better than that, home or away, that's for sure.

Fair play to Academical. He called a draw and had it not been for the penalty he was on to a winner in his prediction.
Big improvements required away from home but three points now allows us to focus on europe midweek.

6-1 Rangers. Got this score in my head for some bazaar reason.

giphy.gif

brilliant :D

It is cheating the paying public.
A fckn disgrace to charge top dollar and not provide the correct playing platform.

They're such a leveler.

Players losing their footing, the bounce on it and the way that ball skids along it.

Normally when the ball hits the grass it slows it down. When the ball hits the pitch on these things it picks up extra pace!

It must be an absolute nightmare to try and play passing football on.

It doesn't affect the diddies because they just lump it anyway.

No one is happy with the performance - you're not special or alone in that opinion.

But sometimes you just have to take the 3 points and move on. Today was one of those days.

Ah, got it now.

Nobody's happy with the performance but I'm not allowed to actually say I'm not. Gotcha.

Have a nice evening :D

The gaffer has just said the performance was poor but some people on here will still say we were brilliant. We have folk calling people who are not happy with the performance drama queens yet if there was dropped points you’d never see these accusers again.

Thank feck I miss most of these match threads due to being at most games.

so who on here said we were 'brilliant'? show me one post ffs

Sorry but we won that because their centre back had some sort of spastic meltdown and gave us 2 penalties.

If you think that sort of performance is getting us anything at Easter Road or Tynecastle you're deluded. We'll get fucking skelped and we really really need to buck up our ideas away from home. The performance was every bit as bad as Livingston.

It's Hamilton, Livingston, st mirren etc we will toil away from home at. Aberdeen, hibs and hearts have better pitches and will also have a go. That will suit our counter attacking style a la europe and we will look much better than we did today. Personally, i think the poorest performances we will have all season will be against the lesser teams where we are on tight shitty pitches, have vast majority of possession and face 10 men behind the ball. The only thing that mattered today was 3 points. End of.

Did anyone catch the cross midfield ball going behind Ejaria and he stuck his heel up and it stuck to his boot like a sticky willie on a wooly jumper.

The lad has unbelievable close control.

Ah, got it now.

Nobody's happy with the performance but I'm not allowed to actually say I'm not. Gotcha.

Have a nice evening :D

Next time maybe trying saying it in a less soaked knickers/hissy fit manner if you want to avoid posters laughing at you.

Will do mate.

Where to start, the performance from both the players and the management team was extremely poor, Katic, Rossiter, Eraja and Cooly were woeful for me, but even worse was the reluctance of Gerrard to alter things, we need better away from home, again today that was a Murty like performance.

Don't even know where to start with that, gave me heart failure conceding an equaliser with 10 minutes left to play then we score 3 from out of nothing :D

Hamilton must have put in the most negative performance I've seen from a home team against us in some time. Never came out at all, even at 1-0 down. But we didn't go for the jugular and pin them in, instead just passed it about between the defenders and midfileders aimlessly. At 1-0 we were never comfortable and sure enough they get the statutory "worldy" when really they never looked like scoring.
Good reaction to get the points but we need to be more aggressive. Hamilton got what they deserved for strangling the game of football stone dead.

Rossiter I can forgive, he has a had a terrible few years, and its a bit much asking him to step in and be brilliant

however it has been noticeable this season that in most away games, our midfield seems to disappear, it doesn't help that Coulabaly seems to have completely lost form..

still its 3 points, and thats what we needed today

Thats the main thing that the idiots in the press and tv conveniently ignore. The entertainment value of football on plastic pitches is zero. Absolute garbage. Brings it down to junior levels. The tv companies should demand grass pitches or take their money elsewhere.

The team were poor today, but Morelos managed to put together almost the complete package as a lone striker.
You can perceptibly see the improvement with every game.
The influence of coaching and the wee man's own ambition will bear a fine harvest.
How much would Scotland love to have a player like this in their team?

He’s turning into the complete striker under our coaching team. Such a handful for defenders and his finishing is getting better and better.
He’s loving life at the moment and it’s great to watch.

Both games on the plastic pitches have seen most of our players slipping all over the place.

Both shots from Ovie saw him ending up on the deck and he wasn’t the only player to fall over, or am I just barking up the wrong tree?

I really hope this lad can get his career back on track.
Such a refreshingly honest lad.
He did make a mistake, he probably knew it at the time and perhaps it was down to fatigue in his first game back.
However, it was punished by a fantastic shot at goal and perhaps Stevie G should have had young Jordan off five or so minutes earlier as he tired.
But this game time will give the young lad confidence to kick on, he seems to be so fckn resilient despite so many disappointments.

Exactly what you have said mate..

These are the games that win you titles, when you are playing absolutely rank and still come away with the three points. Every successful manager at the club in my lifetime has had games like these, I'm sure many remember some of the brutal performances from a great team, in Watties first stint, where we still came away with the points.

Win well or win ugly, just keep the points coming in.

The performance was poor. The result was not. I have concerns, as most do. However, I’d rather be on here happy with 3 points after being poor, than miserable after playing great football and losing/drawing. We won ugly.
I agree,but the lack of performance in all our domestic away games is more than a little concerning.
We got away with that today because Accies were so bad.Morelos,Kent and at a stretch Tav aside we were howling.

Both games on the plastic pitches have seen most of our players slipping all over the place.

Both shots from Ovie saw him ending up on the deck and he wasn’t the only player to fall over, or am I just barking up the wrong tree?
No, as they line up to shoot it is evident that there is a balance issue for our players on these surfaces.
Everything is different and the entire subtleties of the game change often dramatically.
Anyone defending them hasn't a clue about the differences they induce.

Does anyone actually think that ANY team plays well every game? Anyone?

Barca, Psg, Real, Bayern etc etc, they all have shitty games where the ball just doesn't go for them and they all have a 'mare on the same day. But they grind out wins.

To expect our team to play well every game is ridiculous regardless of the opponent.

To get wins and get points is the aim and they did that. They didn't give up. They didn't get their heads down.

A win is a win. If we'd been offered a 4-1 victory pre match we would have taken it.

Fifth in the table, 2 points off second with the highest goal difference , cup semi final next week and Europa League game this week. Excuse me if I'm fucking happy with that after the shit show that has been the last few years.

Last edited:
Think if we have the chance to sign Davis in the next window we must take it.too many young inexperienced players in midfield who are content to play safe passes when things are not going well.we need someone who can pick out forward passes in the middle imo.

Back