Match Thread Hamilton v Rangers - 13:30 Sunday - Sky Sports

Hamilton also could have seen one/two reds today.

The tackle in the opening minutes on Morelos warranted a yellow card. Same player was later booked.

MacKinnon saw a number of fouls go unpunished, he eventually picked up a booking. Lucky to be on the park. 4/5 fouls is persistent fouling, yet MacKinnon got away with it.

Martin Caining would be howling for two penalties if the ones we were awarded were in his team's favour. They weren't soft, they were penalties.

Candeias should have hit the target from 15 yards, Tavernier dragged a shot wide 2nd half - he would usually do better, Ejaria's effort 1st half was weak, his effort 2nd half where he ran into space, picked the ball inside the box, shuffled it on to his right foot and struck in was a decent save - he scores similar in Ufa. We had two headers from crossed balls that were powder puff, delivery from Candeias to Kent that Kent knocked wide should have been worked better from Candeias...

We weren't good and lacked creativity at times but certainly could have done better with our opportunities.

Didn't see the game as was at a family birthday dinner. Evidently we weren't great but I'll take winning 4-1 away from home on a surface we all hate - all day long. WATP

Can't wait to fly up Thursday for the Moscow match.

RTID

Scoreline flattered us, although we obviously deserved the win.

Thought Morelos, Tav and Rossiter played well, the rest seemed a bit lackadaisical given the break. Kent took his goal brilliantly.

Given the injustice of the sheep and Motherwell games, I’ll take the so-so performance and the 3pts

watched game computer in Benidorm booked on RTV before we came over on Thursday. Can I re-run it later or does it have to be
before midnight?. Apologies to tekkies for not getin back re chrome browser probs, brill result goin back on lash.:cool::p

played poorly but pulled it out the bag at the end.

Christ we’ve had a great start to the season overall and exciting times remain ahead.

Once we’ve beaten Moscow and the mutant sheep we’ll be back to being the best team in the world again.

Not really at the time but Canning said post match it was a clear penalty but Boyd & Commons said it defo wasn’t
I get pelters on here because I don't always toe the party line. But today the Hamilton "penalty " was never a penalty and the 2 Rangers ones were

First half performance was genuinely awful but Rossiter got 80 mins, I thought Halliday and Morelos were both decent and of course we got the win. The international break and playing on that pitch probably factor into how we played but clearly we will still have to massively improve our performances away from home if we are going to win the league.
I'm not getting into arguments about fouls and bookings, but pretty much everyone agrees 4-1 wasn't a fair reflection. Steven Gerrard, for one.

Gers deserved the win still

Pedro was punted for less in the league

This is disgusting
We're not good enough. Time to face that very painful reality.
Take away the euro performances, honest assessment, where are we?
Dreadful record in the league. Managers of a lesser name would be under pressure.
Goldson GTF anyone?

Questions to be asked of Rangers players, management and training staff, its not a one off and euro glory is getting us away with. Stevies team only does what it says on the tin sometimes, good players dont play good sometimes Stevie. Moaners and whingers are correct today, even though we have just got a pen, which we may miss btw .

Goal, still deserve lots of criticism.

:rolleyes:o_O

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

The result still matters. If we had a lucky 1-0 against the Tims, would you disagree the result was the important thing? :confused:
That’s a very different thing. We play Celtic 4 times a season, the rest of the time we have to deal with provincial clubs. We need to make Hamilton away more of a routine fixture before we can win the flag again. By that I’m not saying turn them over every time but you’d need to have your head up your backside to not see that was a serious struggle today and we were lucky to get the points.

We got a bit of luck yesterday that we hadn’t had in other away matches this year, so fair enough, and I’ve seen plenty of good Rangers sides struggle over the years, but come away with a win.

However, I do think we are a bit too reliant on goals from set plays this season so far. If we didn’t get that first penalty you really couldn’t see us getting anything from open play.

While it’s good to see us improve on setpieces, we are really lacking a creative player who can make us tick and open teams up. Maybe the coaching has to alter to encourage more creative play.

Whatever the answer, I’m happy to see this season play out and to let the team and Gerrard to develop. For the first time since Walter it feels like we have a ‘proper’ manager.

Think if we have the chance to sign Davis in the next window we must take it.too many young inexperienced players in midfield who are content to play safe passes when things are not going well.we need someone who can pick out forward passes in the middle imo.
Spot on I think.
If not David, then certainly someone in that mould who can dominate a match.

Maybe, but the stats suggest otherwise. Long time since Rangers won away. Also very long time since we drew a league game, and that run has to end.

Martin Canning will expect a reaction from his players after the Hibs debacle, and I think he'll get it. I think MacKinnon (our captain) and Miller (our top scorer) are available again. Barasic, Arfield and Lafferty missing won't help you, plus you've got a midweek European game to think about.

Is it true Flanagan can't/won't play on an artificial surface? Ours is the best in the league, but I anticipate the usual complaints - especially if we get a result.

Ye didnae get a result and its still a crap surface for top flight fitbaw.

The mentally challengeds have a worse record away from home in the league than us. Reading through this again I still can't believe posters are wanting Gerrard out . Mind blowing.

The mentally challengeds have a worse record away from home in the league than us. Reading through this again I still can't believe posters are wanting Gerrard out . Mind blowing.
I’m reading this
v e r y
s l o w l y
a s
I ‘ m
f i n d i n g
i t
h a r d
t o
t a k e
i n !

If you’re assessing the manager’s performance, why would you take away the Euro performances?
Why would these not count?
Europe is a bonus and we have done very well there, no doubt.
The priority is and always will be the league. The euro results are the only thing that have held some of the mentalists back from calling for the managers head, plus his name.
In no way do I want Gerrard out. Judge him after a complete season.
To deny our league form is patchy and worrying is daft though.

Also, the players should be looking at themselves , why do they turn up so well for Europe, but phone it in v Hamilton, v Livingston, v Celtic?

Europe is a bonus and we have done very well there, no doubt.
The priority is and always will be the league. The euro results are the only thing that have held some of the mentalists back from calling for the managers head, plus his name.
In no way do I want Gerrard out. Judge him after a complete season.
To deny our league form is patchy and worrying is daft though.

Also, the players should be looking at themselves , why do they turn up so well for Europe, but phone it in v Hamilton, v Livingston, v Celtic?
The flip side is, of course, that no Europe might mean better league form.
I don’t know, of course I don’t know, but I just think it wrong to separate the results, the achievements, to make an argument.
You’re right that the league is the priority but we can’t do anything other than play to win in other tournaments in the meantime.

Celtic away - after a few spankings last season I firmly believe we turned up not to get beat. In reality we didn't turn up at all in the main. But.... SG will have learned a lot from that game.

Livi - shite pitch. Bad day at the office.
Hamilton - shite pitch - we won 4-1

Motherwell - we tinkered with the team and formation and it backfired and we struggled to get back into it.

Four bad performances, two of which were on pitches that we all agreed (for whatever reason) we don't play well on but still won one of the games; one away from home to our biggest rivals; and one down to a bit of tinkering which didn't work out.

Four games out of 21 (I think) competitive matches, including 10 unbeaten in Europe. For a guy in his first season as a manager, with effectively a brand new team. Meanwhile 5 points covers the top six in the league.

People wetting their knickers over the few aberrations so far really need to get a sense of perspective.

Back