Hampden Park

I stay in MF and have seen the chaos this tournament has caused on match days. Streets have been closed off at 6am and barriers erected in the morning of the game. The car park has been taken over by the media centre and they have taken over the park and ride on Aikenhead Road. It's got me thinking, for an event such as this Hampden is hopeless and that's before mentioning how poor it is to watch a game. It should be flattened and a new stadium built on a green or brown field site with plenty of space, if they want to host an event like this again.

Move the ends in and it would be a decent stadium. Impossible though as it would drop to about 40k capacity and would cost a shitload

Hampden is an embarrassment.
For not a huge amount more than it cost to refurb Hamdump Wales got the Millenium Stadium. And it's got a f@#*in roof.
In a weird way it's continuing existence serves as a reminder of the standard of governance of Scottish football.

Couldn't believe that either! If there's only 12,000 there at least put them in the half decent seats ffs!

There was less than 6000 spectators at the Czech Croatia game yet they still put punters behind the goals in the bottom 4 or 5 rows, what an absolute farce when you have plenty of space along the touchlines. God only knows what the visiting supporters think of Hampden as a stadium

It’s always been a shit stadium but you’ve got to laugh at the folk comparing it to Hungary and Kazakhstan. What have they got that we’ve not? Maybe a dictatorship, child labour, no minimum wage, and forced labour.

It needs more than a lick of paint. It looks delapidated and they need to renovate it,firstly to bring both ends behind the goals closer to the pitch and brought into the 21st century by adding a tier..
I agree 100%, the space wasted at Hampden considering its acreage defies belief.

even getting Longside sides in the North or South and the view is rotten. Only time I’ve had a good view was South Upper.

The location is horrendous. Smack bang in the middle of a densely populated urban area with terrible transport links. The surrounding roads just jam up meaning bus services sit in traffic trying to get out of the place.

The train station is a dark and dingey commuter station up a back street. If you go to an event on a Sunday you will find that with a combination of infrequent service, and the operator failing to get their staff to work for event-special-services you will be waiting forever.

Motherwell game October 2017 they had a 3 car carriage doing the hourly Cathcart Circle loop and one 6 car shuttling back and forward between Mount Florida and Central. Game finished at 16:15 (14:30 kick off) and I never got back in the house until 19:30. I live in Greater Glasgow. I’ve never used to the train to Hampden again after that. Park on Cathcart Rd. 20 min walk and 20 minute drive.

Yes i know smart arse,but much better having a new purpose built stadium outside of a big city.Hampden and Ibrox can be a nightmare getting to if the traffics bad.
It is served by 2 railway lines , it now has close connections to motorway network. If it was built at the end of a single road in a Barron field somewhere do you think the infrastructure would be better? The reality for all these big stadia is we need to rethink how fans make that final part of their journey to the venue, fact is we all want the convenience of our car literally outside the front door and until that changes traffic will always be an issue ! Simple fact is that the short sighted city authorities have zero concept of trying to think and work out a plan that will benefit everyone for all our major stadia ( Ibrox station an example) All they are interested in is independence !

It's a rotten dump that's never been touched since the day it was cheaply rebuilt.

Don't think UEFA have been too impressed by it either the SFA did practically nothing with it in the lead up to the handover.

I mean imagine paying a small fortune in a reduced 12,000 capacity and being planted behind the goal bottom row and hardly seeing any of the action :D

Things like that don't go unnoticed.
Some of the worst views of a game I have ever experienced have been at Hampden and I’ve been to just about every ground in Scotland.

Last edited:
Some of the worst views of a game I have ever experienced have been at Hampden and I’ve been to just about evert ground in Scotland.
I remember being behind the goal for the SC final against Dundee back in 2003 (Treble Season) barely saw a thing the view was shocking.

I haven’t seen much of Euro 2020 but from what I have seen, the stadiums generally look decent.

I then thought about Hampden and how embarrassing it looks.

About 10 years ago, I got a compulsory mini tour whilst at a conference there with work. We were only allowed as far as the touch line but even then I thought of how uninspiring it looked. I compared it to Ibrox and there just wasn’t any comparison.

If you are less than 10 rows from the front then theres no chance of a decent view of the game, its quite disgraceful if you have paid £35 odd for a ticket.
Below the cross bar in any part of the ground is awful and I've sat pretty much everywhere in the dump over the years.

The strange design of the bowl is so weird if your in the first 10/15 rows there isn't much of an up climb (ascend) it goes back more before the climb if that makes sense ? It's bizarre stuff.

Was this deliberate in the rebuild or just a %^*& up in general.

That's why in any tickets you just hope your up the back of the stands for a better view.

A place obviously done on the cheap but also “modernised” in a time where the needs of fans today were never appreciated. Go to any grounds built around that time and the facilities are basic to the extreme but without the character of an older stadium.

It's a rotten dump that's never been touched since the day it was cheaply rebuilt.

Don't think UEFA have been too impressed by it either the SFA did practically nothing with it in the lead up to the handover.

I mean imagine paying a small fortune in a reduced 12,000 capacity and being planted behind the goal bottom row and hardly seeing any of the action :D

Things like that don't go unnoticed.
They didn't really do it on the cheap, they just spent the majority of the £65m on the main stand .So on themselves in reality and skimped on the other three stands.
It was always a white elephant when they kept the track and expanse behind the goals .
It is embarrassing that Romania , Hungary and other ex Iron Curtain countries have state of the art stadiums and we have Hampden

They didn't really do it on the cheap, they just spent the majority of the £65m on the main stand .So on themselves in reality and skimped on the other three stands.
It was always a white elephant when they kept the track and expanse behind the goals .
It is embarrassing that Romania , Hungary and other ex Iron Curtain countries have state of the art stadiums and we have Hampden
That Hungary stadium is excellent.

You see the Ferenc Puskas stadium then compare Hampden to it........
The stadium in hungary is a real credit to them. One of the most impressive of all the new stadiums I've seen. Yesterday against france was a superb event.

I really don't see the point of a new stadium. Murrayfield is more than adequate, larger capacity, better set up and to spend millions on a new stadium,which will be hardly used through sentiment is madness.

I love the location and the history of hampden and some good boozers round shawlands area for us.

the thought of going to cup finals in a ’modern’ stadium on a brown field site in Livingston or Perth with no pubs or shops within a 5 mile radius gives me the absolute fear. horrendous
I agree 100% with you but maybe I’m being a bit misty eyed.
However I can’t agree with multiple posts on here saying that Hampden is a “dilapidated shit hole”. Did any of you set foot in the old Hampden or The Piggery? Just because the view is crap and the atmosphere isn’t great it doesn’t mean that it’s dilapidated ffs!
Also don't agree with the w@nkfest over Murrayfield. I was in the front section of the Rangers end when we played Hearts and we were miles from the pitch. It also took way over an hour for our bus to get from the zoo where we were parked to the M8. They are much of a muchness for me and in any case Glasgow is a football city. Edinburgh can keep their rugby, their salt ‘n sauce and don’t get me started on that f.ucking accent...

However I can’t agree with multiple posts on here saying that Hampden is a “dilapidated shit hole”. Did any of you set foot in the old Hampden or The Piggery? Just because the view is crap and the atmosphere isn’t great it doesn’t mean that it’s dilapidated ffs!
Also don't agree with the w@nkfest over Murrayfield. I was in the front section of the Rangers end when we played Hearts and we were miles from the pitch. It also took way over an hour for our bus to get from the zoo where we were parked to the M8. They are much of a muchness for me and in any case Glasgow is a football city. Edinburgh can keep their rugby, their salt ‘n sauce and don’t get me started on that f.ucking accent...
Murrayfield is way worse from an infrastructure point of view, also difficult from a segregation point of view that rightly or wrongly you need with football and much less of an extent if at all with rugby. Hampden has the capability of being good, removing the track would allow the north stand to be tracked over a good distance and it would be the same with the east and west stands , this could provide area for a great structures and excellent access concourse area.
the fact they made an arse of it is sad, the fact that everyone and their dog told them they were is maddening !

They would have been better off using Murrayfield.
Not something I like saying, but Hampden produced a nonevent atmosphere-wise.
The SFA needs to be rooted out from top to bottom, they are holding the game back at every turn.
They had the chance in the early 90s with the renovation-revamp that gave us today's joke.

The terracings and the bowl shaped stadium bulldozed. Stands brought in nearer the pitch.

There is no reason why there shouldn't be an 80,000 stadium where there is today's farce. But hey, you can get the teams' bus/coaches into the bowels of the stadium. Apparently a reason the dump was awarded the 2002 CL final.

As long as there are non entities and the sellik minded at the top of the house, then Scottish football gets what it deserves.

And for what it's worth, I think there is still another chapter to be eked out regards the 'national stadium'. What with Haughey's mitts involved.

Last edited:
Hampden is a UEFA 5 star stadium, surprisingly.
Ibrox is also a well deserved UEFA 5 star stadium.
A bit surprisingly, Ibrox has never had a European final, to the best of my knowledge.

Hampden is a fu.cking dump, would love the national games to be moved to Murrayfield

It’s unfit to host sport at any decent level. I hate the place, it’s just a shitehole.
When you walk in it’s got the feel of a third division stadium with its Shite interior. Then you climb the stairs and go out and realise you need to run a marathon to get near the pitch. Get to the seats and half of them are pointed towards the seat next to it so you’re sitting on someone’s lap. It cannot hold an atmosphere either. Ibrox, Celtic park, murrayfield are all a cacophony of noise when the crowd are going. Hampden it’s like someone’s got a noise vacuum.

I've never understood why, when the redevelopment was being planned, the opportunity wasn't taken to modify the footprint. Thus, just as the old North Stand was tight up to Somerville Drive, the north stand in the present version is also sited right up to the roadside.

The result of that, and presumably to minimise overshadowing of the tenement flats on Somerville Drive, is the lower height on that north side of the stadium. That not only has lessened the potential capacity but has also resulted in the impaired views for fans from the shallow rake that other posters have mentioned.

Given that the decision to replace the old Hampden created a clean slate from which to work wouldn't it have made more sense to re-site the new stadium further to the south and even the orientation could have been adjusted, maybe even absorbing the footprint of Lesser Hampden to create a modern, fit-for-purpose stadium.

I just don’t understand the design. It’s built like an Olympic stadium without the Olympic bit, like a running track.

Why not just make it a normal rectangular football stadium? The view from anywhere behind the goals is atrocious.

They were given money and one of the conditions was for space to build a running track around the pitch.

I hate Hampden but I love the sound of the bears as you walk up the steps just before you get into the Rangers end

i think what will happen in the next couple of years is that hampden will be completely refurbished and an extra 10,000 seats will be added fully paid for by the scottish government. after another year or so haughey will then sell it on to celtic at a reduced price and the paedodome will be razed to the ground.celtic will then offer their new stadium as a permanent home to the scottish football association and that will be two problems solved at the flick of a switch.watch this space you heard it here first!!!

Hampden is a UEFA 5 star stadium, surprisingly.
Ibrox is also a well deserved UEFA 5 star stadium.
A bit surprisingly, Ibrox has never had a European final, to the best of my knowledge.
Hampden’s 5 star status has been obtained because the new Main Stand meets the UEFA requirements, one of which is that team coaches and vehicles transporting VIPs to the stadium enter directly via a tunnel for security reasons. The rest is a public toilet with open seating.

I've been to the principality stadium in Cardiff and that is how a stadium should be renovated as part of one of the old stands I'd incorporated into the build. A Glasgow equivalent for site example would be building a stadium where the St Enoch centre is thats how central it is.

They spent all the dosh on the main stand when the rest was the main issue.
Cos they wanted to tick all the uefa boxes for a 5 star stadium. The uefa boxes don’t care about the normal fans it’s all about how good it is for the VIP’s

Ffs, do you work for the SFA? The place is a fucking toilet. The money spent on the BT stand was for the benefit of the SFA suits. The rest was polishing a shite. The views from all stands are shite, the gradient is too low, access etc is shit.

As many have said, it should have been raised to the ground. I can’t believe £60m was spent on it.

We have dinosaurs in charge at all levels of our football, we will never progress until we get rid of them. I mean we have a guy from an amateur team sitting as second in charge of Scottish football, and as for the guy in charge, how the %^*& can that happen?

All these charlatans have only ever had their own interests at heart, they’re feeding at the trough and will do for as long as it benefits them personally, been going on for 30+ years.

The rebuild was a chance to do it right. Steep stands with 2 tiers, plus corporate boxes. Instead they kept the idea of really shallow terracing and single tier seating. The result is that fans are really far away from the pitch. If you're behind one of the goals then you won't see much thats happening at the other end of the park.

Its a garbage stadium for fans.

It’s always been a shit stadium but you’ve got to laugh at the folk comparing it to Hungary and Kazakhstan. What have they got that we’ve not? Maybe a dictatorship, child labour, no minimum wage, and forced labour.

Hungary only has one of those things, and even then it's pushing it to call Orban a dictator.

It got games due to historical significance imo but it's still one of the poorest stadiums both facilities and location wise

If ever a national team was in need of fans close to the pitch and a ruckus atmosphere it's Scotland.

They should have brought the stands in as close as they were allowed, steep banks of seats, and created a stadium that is capable of intimidating the opposition with a wall of noise and fans right on top of the action.

What we ended up with was the polar opposite.

The problem with the redevelopment was it was done in 2 phases. The first phase essentially just put a roof over the existing terracing. Therefore they couldn't move the entire footprint. They should have waited until they had all the money and done the whole place in one phase.
I still wonder where the money went when you compare it to the Millenium/Principality in Cardiff which was built around the same time for not much more.

It must be remembered that the government in around 1979 withdrew funding for a new stadium at the last minute, this was a total disgrace.

It must be remembered that the government in around 1979 withdrew funding for a new stadium at the last minute, this was a total disgrace.
And do you remember the faux outrage in the early 80s, when people at Rangers said Ibrox could and should be utilised?

The letters pages were filled by disgusted from Croy, Carfin and the Scottish press were in an uproar. We need Hampden because it is neutral was the universal cry.

Yet not a peep from the same as the scum hut has been pushed forward in increments to the same end over the last few years.

Of course with the vermin that follow the national team, they'll be at ease sitting in a hovel flying the ira rhag as it's main flag.

Back