Hampden Park

To be fare the main stand and the facilities in it are really decent,The fact the team buses can drive straight up and park outside the dressing rooms is definitely a plus point but the rest of it is very poor for the average spectator.

There’s far too many sub standard views from the stands for a modern stadium.

Brunton Park in Carlisle has better views from behind the goals ffs.

A typically Scottish fuckup

does anyone know how much fans the South stand holds i've tried google etc and can't find a figure

Would it be possible to fund a new stadium nowadays with a sponsorship deal? Other countries have been able to build new, modern stadiums, so I'm assuming there is a way to fund them as countries like Hungary and Wales have managed to build stadiums without having money from a rich football league.
I’m not being funny but I’d be amazed if a sponsorship deal to sponsor the Scotland national stadium could raise even 1% of the £100m required to build a new stadium

I’m not being funny but I’d be amazed if a sponsorship deal to sponsor the Scotland national stadium could raise even 1% of the £100m required to build a new stadium
When you see how much a minority sport (rugby) in Scotland can raise for a bigger and maybe better stadium than our national game, you realise what a bunch of incompetents we have in charge.

When you see how much a minority sport (rugby) in Scotland can raise for a bigger and maybe better stadium than our national game, you realise what a bunch of incompetents we have in charge.
£50 million overall, in 1990s prices. There was some public funding but much of it was private.

But when gate receipts for a handful of tests a year can be as much as £40m, you can see how they raise it.

I see where you’re coming from, is it not the case that the current North, West and East Stands are just seated terracing with a shallower gradient than a proper stand?
That’s exactly it mate. The terraces were just refaced and seats installed. There was no material change to the old earthworks that supported them. Whereas, the South Stand was completely remodelled.

I had no idea that Keppie had done some preliminary work on what a refurb might look like, but I would probably say that their solution, at first glance, looks like tinkering around the edges. If the South Stand could be dismantled and resited elsewhere, the rest of the stadium could be demolished allowing for a complete redesign. Whether or not dismantlement and salvage costs were to prove too costly though, is another story.

Presuming this all wasn’t cost prohibitive, the houses at the foot of Bolivar Street and the tenements at the end of Sommerville Drive would no longer be a hinderance to adding an additional tier(s) if the footprint was moved (predominantly) southwards.

The constraints of the existing relief of the land would be overcome and the issues that you rightly mention (were a multi-purpose, i.e. athletics sympathetic, design to be adopted) could be addressed.

Maybe Reichsfuhrer Sturgeon could be persuaded to chip in properly?

That’s exactly it mate. The terraces were just refaced and seats installed. There was no material change to the old earthworks that supported them. Whereas, the South Stand was completely remodelled.

I had no idea that Keppie had done some preliminary work on what a refurb might look like, but I would probably say that their solution, at first glance, looks like tinkering around the edges. If the South Stand could be dismantled and resited elsewhere, the rest of the stadium could be demolished allowing for a complete redesign. Whether or not dismantlement and salvage costs were to prove too costly though, is another story.

Presuming this all wasn’t cost prohibitive, the houses at the foot of Bolivar Street and the tenements at the end of Sommerville Drive would no longer be a hinderance to adding an additional tier(s) if the footprint was moved (predominantly) southwards.

The constraints of the existing relief of the land would be overcome and the issues that you rightly mention (were a multi-purpose, i.e. athletics sympathetic, design to be adopted) could be addressed.

Maybe Reichsfuhrer Sturgeon could be persuaded to chip in properly?
I’ve said for years if they were going to redevelop on the Hampden site they should have flattened the old place and rebuilt further south and maybe a bit to the east to centre the stadium on the available land.
It’s a disgrace that it’s basically still the old terracings compete with earthen embankment after the amount of money that was spent.
Look what the Welsh managed to do on the site of the old Cardiff Arms Park for not a lot more outlay.

I genuinely used to love the old Hampden. First time there was the 1979 league cup win over Aberdeen, been there on too many times to mention. Loved the massive pylon floodlights stretching into the Glasgow skyline and would have butterflies in my stomach as the pipe band would belt out tunes as the bears would be taunting them to play ‘the sash’. Magnificent memories, the three Skol cup games against the sheep, a cracker of a view of Walters and Gough’s two goals in 1990 against the yahoos, next to them in 1986 (2-1) win. Maybe when it was transformed to all seater….sad.
I know what you mean.

The thing about Hampden is that it is designed for the vast majority standing. It was fine when it was standing.

Slap seats onto an old terracing and it simply doesn't work.

I agree with all who now say demolish and start again.

SFA don't have the money to knock Hampden down and start over building a modern stadium the likes of which Budapest, Bucharest etc have built.

Would need outside support, sponsorship and probably government funding.

They could look at redevelopment similar to what has been done at Stuttgart and Real Sociedad in removing the running track and moving the crowd closer. I know Hampden doesn't have a running track but as with commonwealth games it can have and is shaped like an athletics stadium. This again would cost a lot and to keep the stadium attendance where it was or increase then where the big bowl has kept the attendance above 50,000 you'd need to compensate by building upwards, 2 tiers or more which will probably lead to planning issues in particular with the housing behind the north stand.

SFA dropped the ball buying the stadium as other posters have said should have moved in with the Rugby and formed a single national stadium, built a new stadium elsewhere or gone down the route of no national football stadium and used stadiums fixture dependent

If you ignore both ends being about half a mile closer to the pitch then yeah I suppose you're right
That's only obvious at one end in the image, the other end appears to still have some sort of curve, and is only part of the problem. As others have mentioned, it's a standing terrace with seats bolted on so the viewing angles are all wrong, if you're near the front, you're going to see very little of the game, if you're near the back of the curved sections you're not going to see much either. Even the colours used for the seats are awful and don't have any relevance for the national colours. Add in the location, the limited public transport, lack of parking etc. It's simply not fit for purpose.

Last edited:
That's only obvious at one end in the image, the other end soars to still have some sort of curve, and is only part of the problem. As others have mentioned, it's a standing terrace with seats bolted on so the viewing angles are all wrong, if you're near the front, you're going to see very little of the game, if you're near the back of the curved sections you're not going to see much either. Even the colours used for the seats are awful and don't have any relevance for the national colours. Add in the location, the limited public transport, lack of parking etc. It's simply not fit for purpose.
Click the link and you'll see a picture from what the inside will look like, the ends are as close to the pitch as they are at Ibrox

I would knock down Hampden and Murrayfield and built a multi-purpose stadium with all the modern revenue generating facilities in an easily accessible location with excellent car parking. A vote winner.

The problem with hampden is that it tries to combine athletics with football. Would make the stadium rectangular and remove the track, as many have said. Apart from the commonwealth games it rarely hosts Athletics to make it worthwhile.

I'd be interested in what suggestions people have for locations for building a new stadium - whereabouts has the existing infrastructure to support a 60,000 seat arena?

Very poor for watching football but I have noticed there are othe where fans must need binoculars to actually see the games,I’ve often wondered if the people who design and build stadiums have actually been a spectator at a sporting event.
As football becane ever more popullar in late 19th early 20th century it became necesary to increase stadium calacity. This was done(I'm winging it a bit here ) by building earth mounds round the stadium, and terracing them. That is basically what Hamden remains today.

That's only obvious at one end in the image, the other end soars to still have some sort of curve, and is only part of the problem. As others have mentioned, it's a standing terrace with seats bolted on so the viewing angles are all wrong, if you're near the front, you're going to see very little of the game, if you're near the back of the curved sections you're not going to see much either. Even the colours used for the seats are awful and don't have any relevance for the national colours. Add in the location, the limited public transport, lack of parking etc. It's simply not fit for purpose.
Improvement on the shite that is there

CcNZ7cd.png

As football becane ever more popullar in late 19th early 20th century it became necesary to increase stadium calacity. This was done(I'm winging it a bit here ) by building earth mounds round the stadium, and terracing them. That is basically what Hamden remains today.
Apart from the main stand which isn’t bad.

I would knock down Hampden and Murrayfield and built a multi-purpose stadium with all the modern revenue generating facilities in an easily accessible location with excellent car parking. A vote winner.

Don't think SRU would be chuffed with that! Murrayfield is not the problem rail links and parking right beside the ground.

There's nothing wrong with Murrayfield though. The SFA should sell Hampden and offer to buy 50% of Murrayfield from the SRU.

what's wrong with Murrayfield?

Knock it down and turn it into houses and flats and rotate the games around Scotland depending on fixture. If it’s good enough for Germany it’s good enough for us

There’s far too many sub standard views from the stands for a modern stadium.

Brunton Park in Carlisle has better views from behind the goals ffs.

A typically Scottish fuckup

Brunton park always makes me laugh. They built a new stand running the length of the pitch on the assumption that they'd eventually move the pitch and redevelop the other stands. They weren't able to so the far side stand runs well beyond the corner of the pitch.

Back