Hampden riot 1980

bpfurian

Any older bears remember this?My memory of it just being eighteen years old at the time is a little blurred with the passing of time. I can remember a young pape kicking the ball into the net at our end, then a hail of bottles and stones.
Pitch invasion like a medieval battle and total mayhem with hand to hand fighting, burger vans and ice cream vans tipped over outside and trouble all over Glasgow that evening.

I was at the game and it was bloody awful,my mates and I had left at the final whistle so we missed all of the mayhem

I had been on the park at Wembley 18 months previous in the Scotland game, so I went for the win double.

The OP is correct 2 idiots kicked a ball into the net and that started it at the Rangers end and a few came on our end but they were coming on at the other end and it went mental. We were outnumbered but we ran them and the guys in the north enclosure were like the artillery and they got battered with bottles etc. I was beelin because I had the next 10 year old neighbour with me and could not get into it.

Honest opinions now lads, who got the better of that battle??
If what the fans sang had anything about it you never heard the Celtic fans singing "we chased you all over Hampden" The Rangers fans sang it for years.

Those were the days my friend, we chased the Celtic end
At Hampden park in the merry month of May.
Through all the shite and muck , the proddies fought like feck
And in the end the 19th Century Terrorists ran away.

It would have been 10 times worse if all the Rangers fans were still in the park. About 70% left (as you do when you lose a CF) as soon as the final whistle went.

I was halfway up Sommerville Dr and loads of polis were running through the crowds trying to get back to Hampden, Wee Panda cars were abandoned and then turned over.

as already stated, the majority of Bears, myself included, had already left.
Would have been more interesting with another 20K Bears still inside Hampden

I had left, couldn't stomach watching they bastards gloating , waiting on the supporters bus a long time, seen a few bears bloodied then was told the story, trust me they bastards got a real hiding that day, wish we were still like that in a way, no one and I mean no one fucked with the Bears then

Reactions: 8-1
I was at this game, unusual at the time, and had a night out that night.
Septic scored, the final whistle went and I was out of the ground as quickly as possible.
Half way into town I phoned a friend who was still working to make arrangements to meet up.
He said to me "what about the trouble after the game"?
I said "what trouble?"
He said "Davie said there'd been a lot of trouble, pitch invasions, fans fighting, etc."
I said "whit? He's talking a load of sh1t!".
How stupid did I look when I got to the pub and saw the truth?

Back