Hannah:McInnes still no 1 target

Makes no sense at all.

As others have said, insults McInnes and it's ludicrous to think that a club of our stature is just hanging around waiting for randomers to apply.

Only a few scenarios makes sense:
1) we are waiting for someone specific who has a reason to delay - possibly an international manager involved in the play offs.
2) we have identified someone but negotiations are proving tricky. This may be McInnes but you'd have thought we'd have pushed it through by now.
3) we were in negotiations that broke down leaving us unexpectedly back at square 1. Possible with McInnes though you'd have thought the Scottish media would have got wind of it and be crowing about it.
4) negotiations are well advanced but there is some reason to delay - I've previously suggested that perhaps we've essentially signed McInnes but are keeping it quiet till the sheep recruit his replacement so all can be announced at the same time. Again, you'd think that the press would have got wind of this by now.

The one that makes no sense at all is us sitting on arses waiting for applications.
It makes complete sense.
Rangers received expressions of interest from potential candidates. They were told to submit an application by end of this week. The closing date. Applications will be assessed after the closing date to identify viable options. The board also have a list of managers they are interested in and these too will be assessed for viability. The board list has McInnes & Gio on it. Once viable candidates are identified interviews, decision, job offer, acceptance and announcement will follow.

What you call a lack of urgency others see as a strategic recruitment process vitally necessary to ensure the right manager is appointed.
Yeah well we've only got Pedro Caixinha to show for that don't we.

You have no right to tell people not to be dubious when they as recently as March served up that disaster.

It makes complete sense.
Rangers received expressions of interest from potential candidates. They were told to submit an application by end of this week. The closing date. Applications will be assessed after the closing date to identify viable options. The board also have a list of managers they are interested in and these too will be assessed for viability. The board list has McInnes & Gio on it. Once viable candidates are identified interviews, decision, job offer, acceptance and announcement will follow.
I feel the closing date was too generous and should have been a week ago.

Gut feeling New manger appointed Friday in the stand for Saturdays game v Accies .First game in charge v Dundee.
Not ITK just a feeling.

Makes no sense at all.

As others have said, insults McInnes and it's ludicrous to think that a club of our stature is just hanging around waiting for randomers to apply.

Only a few scenarios makes sense:
1) we are waiting for someone specific who has a reason to delay - possibly an international manager involved in the play offs.
2) we have identified someone but negotiations are proving tricky. This may be McInnes but you'd have thought we'd have pushed it through by now.
3) we were in negotiations that broke down leaving us unexpectedly back at square 1. Possible with McInnes though you'd have thought the Scottish media would have got wind of it and be crowing about it.
4) negotiations are well advanced but there is some reason to delay - I've previously suggested that perhaps we've essentially signed McInnes but are keeping it quiet till the sheep recruit his replacement so all can be announced at the same time. Again, you'd think that the press would have got wind of this by now.

The one that makes no sense at all is us sitting on arses waiting for applications.

Good post.

It's very different to last time. This recruitment is being led by a DoF.
Well, I hope that means we end up with a wonderful manager with an impeccable track record.
That effectively rules out any of the names mentioned so far.
If we fanny about for a month or so, potentially dropping points, only to appoint someone who was staring us in the face from the beginning then... well... we might as well replace the board with the Vogons.

Yeah well we've only got Pedro Caixinha to show for that don't we.

You have no right to tell people not to be dubious when they as recently as March served up that disaster.
Aw mate ... am I going to have to protest and stuff now?

I would hope to fluck our board aren’t “waiting on someone they don’t expect to apply” as that would be a ridiculous decision. If it is DM maybe he can’t come till after the 2 sheep games , feck knows.
The whole process has been ridiculous mate. We made an arse of it last time and I hope to %^*& we don't do it this time also but surely if it is DM then aberdeen wouldnt want him in their dugout for the games against us. How could they trust him knowing that he would be joining us after those games.

Well, I hope that means we end up with a wonderful manager with an impeccable track record.
That effectively rules out any of the names mentioned so far.
If we fanny about for a month or so, potentially dropping points, only to appoint someone who was staring us in the face from the beginning then... well... we might as well replace the board with the Vogons.
See thing is I do understand your point of view. The approach you want to take might even be the best approach. But at the moment we don't know who else is a viable option and how well they might fit in at Rangers. What we're doing now gives us the benefit of becoming aware of all options open at this time and then selecting the best one. If it ends up being an obvious option right there at the beginning then great. While it was obvious from the start we didn't know if it was best. But if it ends up being Derek then we can be assured it was rigorous process going far beyond an obvious and easy appointment.

Aw mate ... am I going to have to protest and stuff now?
You can do what you want, you were giving it the same arrogant, condescending rubbish to anyone that was questioning the last manager.

One of these punters that just can't see past a Rangers tie and blazer.

.. at the moment we don't know who else is a viable option and how well they might fit in at Rangers. What we're doing now gives us the benefit of becoming aware of all options open at this time and then selecting the best one.

That all sounds sensible enough apart from the small detail of us being in the middle of potentially fruitful season yet apparently taking a silly amount of time to find out who is a viable option.
Caixinha left on 26th October. The idea that we still don't even know who is viable nearly three weeks later is absurd.

If it ends up being an obvious option right there at the beginning then great. While it was obvious from the start we didn't know if it was best. But if it ends up being Derek then we can be assured it was rigorous process going far beyond an obvious and easy appointment.

So how long do you expect the process to take after the closing date?
A day?
A week?
A month?
The rest of the season?

Put it this way, if it ends up being McInnes but they don't appoint him at least a week before the double header, it smacks of a chronic inability to discern erse fae elbow.

If we were in the closed season I'd be all for taking our time to try and ensure we don't end up with another Pedro but we don't really have the luxury of time.
Murty has bought some breathing space with two good wins but if we slip up on Saturday and there's still no announcement, people will rightly be questioning competence.

You can do what you want, you were giving it the same arrogant, condescending rubbish to anyone that was questioning the last manager.

One of these punters that just can't see past a Rangers tie and blazer.
Get stoned man. It'll chill you out.

It’s frankly embarrassing.

It really highlights how indecisive our current selection committee are.

McInnes has every right to up his demands come negotiations.

Robertson and Park aren’t much of a dream team come contractual negotiations. Whoever we choose, I hope the length of contract isn’t daft.
Do you really think that this guy is ITK,I would say I don't think he would be privvy to anything that's going on and is as in the dark as most supporters are and get the impression he's hedging his bets. Surely the board wouldn't act like that,it doesn't add up,especially if the D.O.F is involved.

The only reporter in the know is Andy Devlin. He's not posted or tweeted anything since the press release last week. When Andy knows, we'll know. Anything else just isn't cricket.

That all sounds sensible enough apart from the small detail of us being in the middle of potentially fruitful season yet apparently taking a silly amount of time to find out who is a viable option.
Caixinha left on 26th October. The idea that we still don't even know who is viable nearly three weeks later is absurd.

So how long do you expect the process to take after the closing date?
A day?
A week?
A month?
The rest of the season?

Put it this way, if it ends up being McInnes but they don't appoint him at least a week before the double header, it smacks of a chronic inability to discern erse fae elbow.

If we were in the closed season I'd be all for taking our time to try and ensure we don't end up with another Pedro but we don't really have the luxury of time.
Murty has bought some breathing space with two good wins but if we slip up on Saturday and there's still no announcement, people will rightly be questioning competence.
I understand the need for urgency. I'd like an end to the saga too.
My only knowledge of the process is what appeared in the statement and TRO. So I've no idea what the dates are going to be. Hopefully we'll have an appointment announced before the AGM but that's by no means certain.
The other side of the coin to what you are pointing out is we need to take time, even while in a fruitful position, because if a mistake is made by rushing it we'll have let that opportunity slip through our fingers. On the other hand, get it right now and we might just find the adjustments needed to grab the opportunity. 55 is still possible.

It makes complete sense.

I'm afraid I don't buy this at all. Hanging around waiting for applications is just weird. Perhaps it could be an unusual but valid option with a short timeline but the length of this would be crazy. What if Murty hadn't won the games?

Put it like this - Gio takes charge (to chose one of the less divisive names) and decides we desperately need a left winger at Christmas. Papers and here are full of talk of Jamie Walker or Barrie McKay returning or some relatively unknown Dutch player Gio might know. Then, after 3 weeks of no movement, we announce that we've no preferred winger and are waiting another week to see if any player we've not thought of applies for the job.

Are you coming back to say that this is just normal recruitment? And that it doesn't impair our ability to actually get one of the guys we should have been going for earlier?

I'm not damning the board here. I'm just saying that the announcements are odd and almost certainly don't tell the whole story of what's going on.

Sky Sports reporting we are one of 3 teams showing interest in O'Neill.

Would explain things but equally likely to be sky just doing the same detective work we've all done without any other insight.

I think we need to wait to see who the manager turns out to be then work backward from there to see what went on.

I'm afraid I don't buy this at all. Hanging around waiting for applications is just weird. Perhaps it could be an unusual but valid option with a short timeline but the length of this would be crazy. What if Murty hadn't won the games?

Put it like this - Gio takes charge (to chose one of the less divisive names) and decides we desperately need a left winger at Christmas. Papers and here are full of talk of Jamie Walker or Barrie McKay returning or some relatively unknown Dutch player Gio might know. Then, after 3 weeks of no movement, we announce that we've no preferred winger and are waiting another week to see if any player we've not thought of applies for the job.

Are you coming back to say that this is just normal recruitment? And that it doesn't impair our ability to actually get one of the guys we should have been going for earlier?

I'm not damning the board here. I'm just saying that the announcements are odd and almost certainly don't tell the whole story of what's going on.
Maybe you're right. To me the official line seems more likely than any speculation I've heard however.
Perhaps the applications deadline was longer to give the board more time. The time needed to pull together an attractive deal and to put a real value on a recruitment budget. The sort of things that'll interest the best candidates.

if a mistake is made by rushing it we'll have let that opportunity slip through our fingers.

I get that and, to a certain extent, I agree.
It shouldn't be rushed
My concern is that taking around a month, mid-season, to draw up a short list for new manager when the dugs in the street knew long ago that the last one was on his way out, is almost but not entirely, the exact opposite of rushing it.

On the other hand, get it right now and we might just find the adjustments needed to grab the opportunity.

True.
Despite my apparent pessimism I still trust the board to make a good appointment but I really hope (and fully expect) that there's been a lot more going on than "identifying viable options".
I haven't taken the board statement at face value and believe there has been plenty more work behind the scenes than the statement implied.
I have to believe that because, taken at face value, it reads as though they've been sitting on their arses "waiting for applications" and intend to continue sitting on their arses for almost a month before even selecting a shortlist.
That prospect is as terrifying as it is absurd.

Last edited:
Only if the delay results in a better manager. Pedro proved that is by no means guaranteed.

I get that and, to a certain extent, I agree.
It shouldn't be rushed
My concern is that taking around a month, mid-season, to draw up a short list for new manager when the dugs in the street knew long ago that the last one was on his way out, is almost, but not entirely, the exact opposite of rushing it.

True.
Despite my apparent pessimism I still trust the board to make a good appointment but I really hope (and fully expect) that there's been a lot more going on than "identifying viable options".
I haven't taken the board statement at face value and believe there has been plenty of work behind the scenes than the statement implied.
I have to believe that because, taken at face value, it reads as though they've been sitting on their arses "waiting for applications" and intend to continue sitting on their arses for almost a month before even selecting a shortlist.
That prospect is as terrifying as it is absurd.
I don't disagree it's taking too long. However, I think the board are being strategic and due diligence, or identifying viable options, can be a time consuming task. The board, in my view, aren't being slow because they can't be arsed. Of course I could be wrong and if I am then I agree with you. It's a terrifying, absurd prospect.

I think this is all covering up the behind the scenes stand off between us and the sheep and then us and McInnes.

I get the feeling that the sticking point is whether the backroom team come with him or not. We don't want them and McInnes wants to bring them.

It would be tough for the sheep board to have the entire backroom staff left behind as this makes the next appointment for them difficult. Who'd want to inherit a backroom team that is not their own? Therefore the sheep would have to pay them to go.

For me (and this is guesswork) the sticking point is compensation for a backroom team that no-one wants. Why should we pay it? We only want McInnes.

McInnes probably wants to bring them with him. I, for one, don't want them as a package deal.

For me (and this is guesswork) the sticking point is compensation for a backroom team that no-one wants. Why should we pay it? We only want McInnes.

It might be guesswork but it makes more sense to me and I actually hope it is something like this.

I think this is all covering up the behind the scenes stand off between us and the sheep and then us and McInnes.

I get the feeling that the sticking point is whether the backroom team come with him or not. We don't want them and McInnes wants to bring them.

It would be tough for the sheep board to have the entire backroom staff left behind as this makes the next appointment for them difficult. Who'd want to inherit a backroom team that is not their own? Therefore the sheep would have to pay them to go.

McInnes probably wants to bring them with him. I, for one, don't want them as a package deal.

The problem with this for me is exactly the point you make - who'd want a backroom staff that are not their own?

If we are after McInnes then he chooses the backroom. And you'd suspect that he'd be choosing at least Docherty thereby simplifying that bit of negotiations a lot. I can't see it taking this long to reach agreement with the sheep over haggling over the assistant.

A guy with an acknowledged inferiority complex towards 'unbeatable' Sellick... just what we do NOT need in charge of a squad of players where building real self belief and confidence has to be a priority.

I will wait to see who is appointed. However if it is Mcinnes what a farce to take this amount of time plus the rest to sort it. That’s If ...of course. TBH I don’t have much faith given the last almighty screw up. And it took ages.

What are we waiting for?

A CV from Thomas Tuchel to drop on Stewart Robertson’s desk offering his services, a £14,500 per week wage and guaranteed £5m January transfer budget?

Of the names available and likely to have applied, it’s all a bit meh. Surely they have a list - are there really managers out there who didn’t show an interest last week, going to pop up now?

Coleman and O’Neill aren’t any better. There has been no club football in almost two weeks so no one closer to the sack than the last round of league games.

A Preu’homme has already said he would have taken the Club Brugge if 10 years younger - that rules him out of the Rangers job.

GvB, Pardew, Laudrup, FdB, Allardyce et al are probably too costly, overall. Some of them I wouldn’t want.

McClaren is garbage. Bilic CV isn’t impressive, neither is a Karanka. Monk and Rowett are in a job - don’t exactly have a great CV, Rowett isn’t far off Warburton in terms of experience.

I’d imagine McInnes will be high up the list.
You could well have answered your own question here.

Hannah and co live and breath on news and Rangers taking their time to appoint the right man to take us forward, to them is not news.
Therefore they are pushing the envelope and trying to agitate our support into unrest about who the next manager should be. Some on here believe dipshits like him over our board !
It’s been posted before that certain wannabe scribes are persona non grata with the Rangers board but are on friendlier terms with McInnes so it might be an ‘in’ having him appointed manager. Not so with an English or foreign appointment though. Hannah Keevins Dalziel and yes even DJ can %^*& off with their false news. Can’t believe I just typed False News but that fat bald ignorant orange faced twat Trump can %^*& off too while I’m ranting.

Fairly certain no contact has been made at all. He’s desperate for it, but suspect he’s not going to apply - for whatever reason.

(Maybe his arrangement on his side precludes him from applying? I guess also it would be daft on his part. Imagine he doesn’t get it - he’s got to go back to the sheep and answer some tough questions)

Looks to me like we’ve got 3 or 4 guys in the boardroom and haven’t agreed yet on who’s the best man. We’re awaiting some superstar applying which will remove the problems. I don’t see that scenario coming to much

the only target the press know about in Scotland. is the target peter tells them to hit per week in saying how great celtic are etc. a real journalist in Scotland is just like the dodo gone forever.

It might be guesswork but it makes more sense to me and I actually hope it is something like this.
Posted same on different thread. Was told that while we want McInnes we don’t want Docherty.Cant say if true or bullshit but the person who told me claims it came from one of McInnes ‘s relatives

Back