Happy 65th birthday to Bobby Russell

A class player who could fit into a team from any generation. like Cooper he still had loads of football in him and left too soon.

A fantastic player and should have been kept on by Souness due to his ability
But considering the amount we were spending at the time he should have been kept until he had reached his 10 years service and testimonial as it was the least he deserved
Remember him and Coop tearing us a new one leading to Bobby scoring midweek game at Fir park

I thought Russell was an excellent player, often better in the 1977/78 season than my hero, Davie Cooper. His vision from midfield was excellent, his weight and timing of passes a joy to watch, and as the video clip shows he could score. His goal against PSV, is one of my favourite Rangers goals. I had privilege of seeing all of the games in the video, with the exception of the PSV game.

Happy Birthday Bobby.

Thanks for posting @dh1963

Never knew there was just a month between us. Great player, and seems a really decent guy as well.

What a player, one of my favourite memories as a kid was that goal against PSV.

Hope you had a great birthday Bobby.

Bobby Russell, one of the best players I've ever seen in our shirt!
Had to laugh at that clip when wee Tam basically kicks big Tam off the ball, "stop fücking about big man, I'll take it from here" :)

I remember when his parents lived in the ‘square’ adjacent to Bishoploch Primary and they had pre printed autographs they would hand out if asked.
As a wee boy, me and my mates knocked on the door every night asking for his autograph, hoping he was there.
He stayed in the square facing Canonbie st, at the bottom of Lochdochart Rd. Next close to him stayed Jackie McNamara ,senior, who played for celic and Hibs.

I know I'm getting old when a young player I remember breaking into the team is now a pensioner!

The Rangers team of 1977/78 remains one of, if not my absolute favourite team I watched.

3 players started their Rangers careers that season. Gordon Smith from Kilmarnock, Davie Cooper from Clydebank and Bobby Russell from Shettleston Juniors. And what a difference they made, adding even more class and skill to a team already full of brilliant Rangers players.

There was a while that I thought Russell was the best of the 3, even more so than Cooper. He was composed on the ball, had a beautiful weight of pass, read the game like a veteran and got forward to create and offer a goal threat himself.

In the early 80s, him and Cooper were often on a totally different wavelength to the rest, they shone in a team who were miles away from being good enough.

Still amazes me Bobby Russell was never capped, and his 10 years at Ibrox only saw 1 league title.

But he was a player, and one I still say that Souness let leave too soon.

380 Rangers appearances, 47 goals, some of them genuine goal of the season contenders.

Happy 65th birthday to a wonderful Rangers player.

Video courtesy of @Rangers Archive Footage

My first favourite player , me & him arrived at olde Ibrox roughly at the same time.

Lovely post

Back