World Cup Finals - Mexico 1986
✅

Northern Ireland captain
✅

+16

4 comments
1 share

Comment

I liked McLelland. Pretty sure he was captain for my first game at Ibrox against Hibs in '82, although it could have been Ally Dawson. Not entirely sure.

Looking back, that was some NI team he played in under Bingham. Some seriously good players in that side.

The big man refusing to lift the league cup was not his proudest moment, should never have played for the club again after that.

Loved John McLelland. Great, no nonsense centre half and scored the 1st goal I'd seen at Ibrox (if my memory is up to scratch) against dukla Prague. Would have seen 1st 1 earlier if big brother hadn't left the Ipswich friendly after going 2-0 down.
Great captain and gutted when he left us.

Did Rangers not have to break their wage structure after this ? Vaguely remember we were in danger of losing Cooper in similar circumstances.
I've heard it was Souness who demanded an end to the wage structure so he could sign the likes of Butcher and Woods.

I also remember seeing a video of David Holmes talking about this saying the club needed to be a bit more commercial in their thinking around investment in playing assets.

Actually, seeing some of they pics again, wasn't there a wee bit controversy at 1 point surrounding big John and facial hair, or am I getting confused?

He was excellent for us in a side who struggled not only against that mob but a buoyant Aberdeen and Dundee Utd.
A sad indictment of where we were back then when a Rangers Captain was on £300 a week and Watford could double his salary.
Outstanding for NI at the WC in Spain 82.

Loved John McLelland. Great, no nonsense centre half and scored the 1st goal I'd seen at Ibrox (if my memory is up to scratch) against dukla Prague. Would have seen 1st 1 earlier if big brother hadn't left the Ipswich friendly after going 2-0 down.
Great captain and gutted when he left us.

Scored the first goal I ever seen as well for Rangers, only against Motherwell in March 83. So he remains special to me.

I was there that night ,did the big man play up front for us in that game ?
Yes, what a game .
I was in the enclosure , possibly west that night, usually east.
Inter had some team, Italy had won the world cup only 2 years previously.
Liam Brady got dogs abuse, Karl Heinz Rummenige was built like a tank.
Likely Jock Wallace s best result in his second spell imo

Did Rangers not have to break their wage structure after this ? Vaguely remember we were in danger of losing Cooper in similar circumstances.
We came really close to losing cooper over an extra £100 coop was looking for.i have since read that rangers players in that era were shocked that Aberdeen were giving there players better wages than us.the bonus structure at Dundee Utd also meant they were earning more than the players at Ibrox

Knew it was around then, possibly October.
I do remember on the bus back from the inter game,radio clyde was on the bus radio,they were saying that the inter game would be his last appearance at Ibrox “as he was leaving for Watford next week”

Scored the first goal I ever seen as well for Rangers, only against Motherwell in March 83. So he remains special to me.

My first game at Ibrox. We were late and walked in seconds before that goal, so glad I seen it and I was in the Broomloan front as well.

My first game at Ibrox. We were late and walked in seconds before that goal, so glad I seen it and I was in the Broomloan front as well.

My first game as well as goal. Sat in the Govan. In those days you could pick your seat. In fact it was a small group of us and half were Motherwell fans. I was 11 and one of my mates dad took us all.

I have vague memories of him getting a torrid time from the East Enclosure during the Dukla Prague game 1981 as he didn't seem to be any good.
Must admit however I grew to like him as a player and was sorry to see him go.Not really a good period for us when he was there right enough.

Yes, what a game .
I was in the enclosure , possibly west that night, usually east.
Inter had some team, Italy had won the world cup only 2 years previously.
Liam Brady got dogs abuse, Karl Heinz Rummenige was built like a tank.
Likely Jock Wallace s best result in his second spell imo
I was in the West Enclosure that night as well, I still have the ticket.

I could never take to him as a Rangers player. Weird shape more so when he was running. Amazing how he could get picked to play for a very talented Northern Ireland team

He left Rangers for Watford - who doubled his wages - to £600 a week!
He was well respected by the support and was a decent player and captain but after his wage demands were declined by the club he chose to snub us and has rarely had a good word to say about his time at the club.

Back