Happy 76th birthday to Jim Forrest

Out of this world. The memories flooded back. I was probably at most of those matches - an incredible goal against Inter Milan on a bloody freezing March evening, or Forrest skelpin’ the mentally challengeds. And for the younger generations, have a look at Baxter’s left-wand creating magic for Forrest to put it in the back of the net. Look and be proud of our history.

Happy Birthday Jim! I missed all of this Prince of goal scorers, time at Ibrox due to being in the Army at that time.

I Had a ST in the WE many years ago. A mate of mine had one in there too and he gave me his ticket once for a game he couldnt make. My wife came with me and took my mate's seat. As we weren't sitting together I asked the guy next to me if he'd mind swapping seats with my wife. He agreed.

The bloke in front of me turned and asked me if I knew who Id just shifted out of his seat. I said no. He then tells me it was Jim Forrest.

If you're reading this Jim, sorry for the inconvenience, sorry I didnt recognise you and thanks for all you did for the Rangers and our fans.

Jim Forrest is a legend.

Think the problem then, maybe some older bears will correct me here, but they had jimmy McCrory who was scoring 50 goals some seasons, so he ended up the scapegoat which was sad, cause he was rangers through and through.

Another player from the 1960’s whose treatment by the powers at Ibrox was at best, disgraceful. I understand we were under pressure from a Celtic side, which had done nothing since the 1930’s with an exception of a few flurries in the 1950’s. However, Jim Forrest being one of two patsies for Berwick was a stain on our proud history.

We have no way of knowing whether Jim Forrest would have kept up his quite phenomenal scoring rate if he had stayed with us for another 7 or 8 years. I wish he was given that opportunity.

Happy Birthday Jim Forrest.

Think the problem then, maybe some older bears will correct me here, but they had jimmy McCrory who was scoring 50 goals some seasons, so he ended up the scapegoat which was sad, cause he was Rangers through and through.
No, McGrory was many years before, and nothing the tims were achieving had a bearing on Jim Forrest's departure from Rangers. It was down to getting eliminated from the Scottish cup in Jan 67 and it came back to bite us when we reached the final of the ECWC at the end of that season, with Forrest and McLean gone, we played that final with Roger Hynd (a central defender) playing at centre forward. We lost 1-0 to Bayern.

Lucky to have saw him live. What a goal scoring record. As stated he and big 'Dandy' McLean made scapegoats by Scot Symon after the defeat by Berwick at the instruction of our then Chairman John Lawrence. Travesty as with him in the ECWC final we'd have won as Hynd wasn't a striker and missed a good chance.
Was later 'mine host' at The Clachan on Paisley Road and loved being recognised. Great guy - happy birthday

A great goalscorer, who scored a hat-trick at my first-ever game, a 3-1 victory at Tannadice on the Saturday after Baxter got his leg broken in Vienna. The crowd was 25,000 and over 20,000 of them were Rangers supporters.

He was treated absolutely shamefully by the Club in 1967, as was his cousin Alex Willoughby.

Last edited:
No, McGrory was many years before, and nothing the tims were achieving had a bearing on Jim Forrest's departure from Rangers. It was down to getting eliminated from the Scottish cup in Jan 67 and it came back to bite us when we reached the final of the ECWC at the end of that season, with Forrest and McLean gone, we played that final with Roger Hynd (a central defender) playing at centre forward. We lost 1-0 to Bayern.
This. Forrest and Willoughby had been prolific.
It was one ( awful ) game. Graham Souness kept faith after Hamilton, and as many know we scored 5 at Tynecastle and never looked back.
Hynd missed a sitter. I don’t blame him. He was an honest player,

Him and George McLean got the blame for the Scottish cup defeat at Berwick, Scot Symon the manager then punted both of them, travesty at the time.
Scot Symon did not have the backbone to stand up to the board regarding the decision to sell both players,it was John Lawrence the chairman who pushed to get rid of both players. Jim Forrest is the greatest natural goalscorer in my lifetime as a bluenose,with every respect to McCoist. Anyway happy birthday Jim

This. Forrest and Willoughby had been prolific.
It was one ( awful ) game. Graham Souness kept faith after Hamilton, and as many know we scored 5 at Tynecastle and never looked back.
Hynd missed a sitter. I don’t blame him. He was an honest player,
Willoughby didn't play at Berwick. He became a regular after that game

Happy birthday Jim.
Wonderful striker, prolific goalscorer. The need for the Board to use this man as a scapegoat for a poor team display was up with the worst decisions ever made by our club.

Happy Birthday Mr. Forrest and many happy returns, a goalscoring legend at Ibrox and a true blue Gentleman to boot.
One of the greatest ‘what might have beens’ in our history. Had Forrest and McLean not been tossed aside after Berwick we may have had our name on the Cup Winners Cup 5 years before Barcelona and the sty dwellers might never have made niar in that era. Ludicrous decision by the Club.

An absolute scandal the way he was vilified for Berwick (along with George McLean), one of the most self destructive decisions in the club history. To this very day we still ponder "if only" on the subsequent history of Rangers, had that stupidity never been enacted.

Happy birthday to Jim Forrest, a Ranger!

I wonder what was going through Symons mind when he picked the team for that final.
Who knows but it wasn't just leaving out Willoughby, as bad as that was he wasn't even in the 16 player squad but we had a player in the squad who was completely ignored for the starting 11 or 12th man who had a great scoring record over the years and who scored the goal in the semi final first leg v Slavia Sofia for a 1-0 win, Davie Wilson. Incidentally it was Willoughby who set up Wilson for the goal. For all the success Symon brought as manager I found him to be a weak manager as regards looking after his players, made some great signings but he should have stood up for his players at critical times

Back