Happy birthday the Hammer

My hero and favourite ever player. Happy Birthday legend.

If we needed a goal in a big game - the hammer always delivered.

Celtic (many times)
Bayern
Parma
Kaiserslautern
PSV

A ratio of 1 in 3 from a midfielder is superb.

Last edited:
As my profile pic shows, my favourite ever Ranger. Happy birthday to the great man, scorer of many very important goals in Europe and against them. Will never forget his goals v Bayern and PSV

One of my all time favourite players. Very few players could strike the ball with the power and accuracy that he could. Happy Birthday Jorg.

What a player. I’ve got a photo I had taken with him outside Ibrox when I was about 14, sent it to him on Instagram a while back along with a little message offering my best wishes to his wife (she was still undergoing chemo for cancer at that time) and he actually wrote back to saying “thank you! Jörg :)”. Just a lovely guy on top of being one of the best players of my generation.

Certain aspects of his game were quite underrated too. There weren’t many players in Scotland better at playing inch perfect slide rule passes in behind a defence, and his corner kicks had to be a dream if you were a centre half looking to attack the ball. Oh, and I remember everyone in the playground trying to copy his free kick technique with the big 15 yard straight runup after that ridiculous goal in the new year game where he struck the ball so hard he managed to beat Kerr in the goalkeeper’s side from about 35 yards.

The finest striker of a football I have ever seen and I am happy to say he played for Rangers. I suspect Jorg Albertz will be a name that grandchildren and great children of the future will be hearing about : just as we were told about Meiklejohn, McPhail, Cunningham et al.

Happy Birthday Jorg Albertz.

I don’t think we’ll ever see another player who strikes the ball as cleanly. I can remember being a teenager trying to copy his technique. He had dynamite in his left boot, just incredible.

Everytime he had the ball 30 yards from goal you knew it was a chance, wish we had someone like him now doubt we will see anyone like him again at Ibrox unfortunately.

We’ve had great left footed players in the last 30 years but Jorg had undoubtedly the deadliest left peg Rangers have had in that time.

Happy birthday the Hammer.

I can't believe I never knew I shared a birthday with him. Happy birthday Hammer and me!

Happy Birthday Der Hammer. It was a privilege to watch a player of your ability.
Incidentally how’s his mrs doing? I read on here she was going through treatment for cancer. Really hope all is well with her.

Back