Happy birthday to Miko

dh1963

Administrator
Staff member
Official Ticketer
57 years old, time really does March on.

Happy birthday to an entertaining, but enigmatic footballer. Probably not played in his best position all that often, but still provided a few memories.

No chance I was trying to spell his name in the thread title!

I remember getting in early to our game st tynecastle and watching Miko and someone (not Wilkins :)) ) pinging the ball to back and forward to each others feet right across the width of the pitch.

He was some player but I feel we didn’t get the best out of him.

Last edited:
I remember getting in early to our game st tynecastle and watching Miko and Wilkins pinging the ball to back and forward to each others feet right across the width of the pitch.

There was a game at Fir Park where he spent most of the warm up doing keepy uppy - on his shins. Never lost control of the ball once.

A fantastic footballer who was not helped by his overly laid back attitude or, more importantly, being played on the left of a midfield 4. Great player for us but would have been on a different level had he played centre mid.

I remember getting in early to our game st tynecastle and watching Miko and Wilkins pinging the ball to back and forward to each others feet right across the width of the pitch.

Couldn’t have been Wilkins mate, he left a couple of years before Miko signed.

A real shame that Rangers just didn’t make the best use of his talents. He was a magnificent footballer - just wasn’t interested in the running around & chasing the ball or closing people down that football fans in the UK value highly.

Fate, injury and potentially the cautious nature of Smith by that stage meant we missed a trick in my mind during the 95/96 season because McCall sitting behind Miko and Gascoigne in the middle with Laudrup and Trevor Steven on the wings would have destroyed teams.

Wilkins left a few years before Miko arrived

Loved Miko, my favourite player of that era. Am I correct in saying he’s the only Olympic gold medal winner to play for us?

Probably as talented as any player but lacked application.
Sure he fell asleep on the subs bench in one game.

Massive talent.

To this day I call that ball back to the edge of the box from the byeline ‘the Miko ball’.

He was the first player I ever saw play that pass repeatedly rather than slash it across the 6 yard box.

Great player and always nice to see one of us being fondly remembered.

But wasn't he a bit of a dick to the guy who was collecting the signatures from all of the 9IAR players and hard to get a hold of in the first place? IIRC he was the very last one to be collected.

was well chuffed when we signed him....was an absolute smasher at the time, outstanding in the previous euros, I think was even picked in the team of the tournament. But he was so laid back it was unreal, as others said I don't think it helped with Walter playing him left wing half the time.....looked class in centre midfield previously before we signed him....

The most skilful player I’ve seen at Ibrox. He did unbelievable things ... sometimes.

I once kept an eye on him during a game at Ibrox and he didn’t touch the ball for 25 minutes.

When we played Sparta Prague away I went to the training session on the night before the game. When he got the ball you could see the other players basically going "aw well, I'll not get a kick of that for a while". Quite amazing!

Back