Happy Birthday to Tom Forsyth

One of my all time favourite ‘Gers.

People forget he was a midfielder with Motherwell and was a good deal better with the ball at his feet than he was given credit for.

I doubt we’ll ever see his likes again.

As for Docherty I remember being in the Rangers’ End at Hampden when Tam made the best tackle I’ve seen and the whole end breaking into ‘Docherty’s a bastard’.

Happy days.

WATP

Born 23rd January 1949, so Jaws is 71 today.

A hero of mine in the 70s, and remains one of my favourite Rangers centre backs. Well known as a tough, hard tackling defender, he was actually also a decent footballer.

For me, his finest game was the 1975-76 League Cup final v Celtic when he was deployed as a man marker on Kenny Dalglish and totally dominated him as we won the first leg of a treble. And who could forget that tackle on Mick Channon at Hampden for Scotland!

A rock for 2 treble winning Rangers teams, and winner of 3 titles, 4 Scottish Cups, 2 League Cups and 22 Scotland caps.

And any excuse to show THE game he will be remembered for forever. Happy birthday Tom.

Happy Birthday Big Tam you we’re a legend

Tam was just coming to the end of his career when I started to go to Ibrox more regularly. Old school hardman!

My first Rangers hero was big Tam.... and he wore number 4 which became my favourite number. Loved a tackle did the big man. Terrific centre half.

All McLeod decided to bring in from the cold and play big Tam and Graeme Souness for the Holland game in Argentina 78 and hey presto ......Scotland play probably one of their best games ever. Happy birthday big yin

Happy birthday Tom. Always a pleasure to speak to on the occasions I got invited to hospitality.

Happy birthday big Tam. A favourite of mine in the great Jock Wallace teams. He took no nonsense from any opposition forward. I remember a midweek game at Tannadice and Sturrock had been nipping at big Forsyth during the game. We were attacking the goal at the Dens Park end of the ground and Sturrock was still at it. As play swung towards that end, big Forsyth moved beside Sturrock. Let’s just say that Sturrock’s jaw somehow managed to make contact with Tam’s fist and he went down in a heap.

The referee and linesmen did not see the incident and I don’t think there were cameras at the game as I have never seen the incident again. Sturrock kept well clear of big Tam for the rest of the game. In the parlance of a famous Dundee family called The Broons, his gas had been put to a peep.

Back