Happy Birthday Willie Henderson

Happy birthday Willie. A true Rangers great

1e7916fe0729dd28908a549b85c455f2.jpg

Happy Birthday to Willie Henderson. A legend I've had the pleasure of meeting on a few occasions over the years.

A player way, way before my time but I’ve had the pleasure of meeting Mr Henderson and I’ve got to say I was totally in awe of the man upon meeting him, such is his legendary status.

A true legend of this great and wonderful club of ours.

Many happy returns Sir.

Told this story on here before.At primary school you used to get free tickets for schoolboy internationals. 1964 Scotland v England schoolboys at Ibrox, sitting in main stand me,mum and dad and brother. At back of stand Willie Henderson is sitting, goes up and gets his autograph
I had number 7 on my Rangers top, which my mum had sewn on using a bandage . Shows mum the autograph and not being slow in going forward she goes up to Willie and says...
" that's a scribble, well seen ye make a living wi yer feet and no yer hauns "
Happy 77th birthday wee man.
My first Rangers hero.

The story about Willie Henderson running through Lisbon airport to catch a flight with his pal Eusebio, the Benfica legend, running behind carrying Willie's luggage never fails to make me smile. The locals apparently stared in wide mouthed amazement at the sight of their hero as a baggage handler. Still in Lisbon, later in years, his goals in both legs against Sporting were vital on the march to victory in Barcelona.
Remember being at a packed Brockville in the 60's and all us kids got to sit on the track of that tight ground so crammed was the place. Willie was tanking down the wing and their full back put him right up in the air and "The Wee Barra" rolled right to my feet almost into my lap. I was overjoyed and dined out on that story for weeks(still doing it)
A world class player at his peak and Eusebio tried in vain to get Benfica to buy him. If it wasn't for injuries he could have achieved so much more. It was a privilege to watch him in a Rangers jersey.

Happy Birthday to the Rangers Legend Willie Henderson.

I don't get to say this very much nowadays, but I'm too young to have seen him play in the person. What a player though, especially when you take into account the standard of playing surface back then, and the size of the other players kicking lumps out of him week in week out.

Happy Birthday Mr Henderson.

He was my Grandads hero. Willie was doing a talk at a Rangers supporters club so me and my dad took him along. After Willie's talk my Grandad introduced himself. Willie sat with him and they had a great chat for about half our or so. My Grandad was buzzing, said it was the best night if his life, to which my Gran wasn't pleased to hear!
My Grandad died in 2016 and up to the end he had the photo of them both on his we table next to his chair.

Happy Birthday Willie Henderson! Had the pleasure of meeting him at the cup final last season. Such an amazing and down to earth guy.

Loved him as a player for us.Managed to get my picture taken with him outside Ibrox a couple of years back,I was like a dog with two tails and i,m 65

Happy Birthday to my first Rangers hero.
After Willie, I thought all right wingers were gonnae be like him, been consistently disappointed since then.
What a player, and it's been my privilege to meet him a good few times. An absolute gentleman, Rangers Class personified.
Many happy returns Willie, a Rangers Living Legend

Happy Birthday to a great player and an absolute gentleman. Many Happy returns Willie.

77 and hopefully still going strong. Many a time I watched wee wullie in my favourite Rangers team and in a Scottish jersey. Still have his book from the ’60’s. He needs to sign it one day once this dreadful pandemic is over. All the best for your birthday.

The wee man met my pal, who was seriously ill, on a tour of Ibrox after the family contacted him. He was my Pal's boyhood hero. A nicer person you couldn't meet.

A true Rangers Legend and an old school gentleman.

I think this story should forever be told.

Back in 1962 when Scotland v England was just about the biggest international show in town, Scotland beat England at Hampden for the first time in a quarter of a century.

The Scotland winger was Alex Scott of Rangers.

At that time Alex Scott was a Rangers reserve. That;s how good 17 year old Willie Henderson was.

Enjoy that cuban tonight wee chap.

That double turn and salute to the Celtic End at Ibrox is the stuff of legend.

Happy birthday to Willie!

my Dad worked in the pit with Wullie's dad and I had the pleasure to meet him a few times , also living in Airdrie I would see him occasionally around the town, he also liked his snooker and billiards at times in the Airdrie Workmans club, great player and a terrific human being Happy Birthday wee man and many more.

A great player for the Rangers wee Willie Henderson, watched him many a time, congrats on his 77th birthday.

All The Best to an absolute Rangers Legend. Met him in Edinburgh Airport a few years ago and he told me he was heading to London on business. It was strange and funny to see him sitting down from me on a flight to Istanbul about an hour later LOL.

Last edited:
Got his book as a youngster on the same day as Berwick. My old man took me into town to get it and someone told us the score, always remember the old man saying “he’s talking a load of shite”. :))

Back