Harald Anton "Toni" Schumacher

Bedfordshire Bear

I was watching MOTD on catch-up with my mate on Sunday and following Pickford's terrible tackle on van Dijk, our conversation turned to tackles by goalkeepers and inevitably the horrendous tackle by Schumacher on Battiston in the semi-final of Spain '82.

My mate couldn't remember too much about it but a quick search on YouTube brought up this video amongst others...

I couldn't believe what I was seeing at 1:21 - A framed Diadora home top from 2003 - 05 hanging in Schumacher's office.

Does anyone know the story behind this ?

Couldn't find anything with a quick search on Google.

He worked as an analyst for one of the German tv channels. He probably got it when covering our game against Stuttgart in 2003.

He coached Stefan Klos at Dortmund for a bit.

I would imagine Nerlinger was also there at the same time as him.

Teddy de Beer is the one on the left.

stefan-klos-harald-schumacher-und-wolfgang-de-beer-bei-der-von-im-picture-id1213017906

Toni Schumacher was one of the best goalkeepers I’ve witnessed. His performance in the 1986 WC semi final v France was as good as any goalkeeping performance you will see

Changing the subject a little - he's a lying pr1ck in that clip. He was pumped up ans spoiling for a fight with the French all night and he got the chance to deliver a cheap shot. He was gagging to get on with the game after sparking out Battiston.
Battiston never recovered fully from that.

He coached Stefan Klos at Dortmund for a bit.

I would imagine Nerlinger was also there at the same time as him.

Teddy de Beer is the one on the left.

stefan-klos-harald-schumacher-und-wolfgang-de-beer-bei-der-von-im-picture-id1213017906
I’m sure we’ve had plenty players who are sons of a William but a Teddy de Beer? How did we miss out on him?

Changing the subject a little - he's a lying pr1ck in that clip. He was pumped up ans spoiling for a fight with the French all night and he got the chance to deliver a cheap shot. He was gagging to get on with the game after sparking out Battiston.

was still able to win 3 or 4 French league titles with a couple of clubs after it.

Cheap shot and a dirty bastard. I like the story that he had to leave a wedding in France following that WC after getting pelted with food :)
German efficiency, they fairly churn out world class goalkeepers. Have they ever lost a game due to poor goalkeeping ?!

Cheap shot and a dirty bastard. I like the story that he had to leave a wedding in France following that WC after getting pelted with food :)
German efficiency, they fairly churn out world class goalkeepers. Have they ever lost a game due to poor goalkeeping ?!

Stegen had a few nightmares for them.

As a slight post script to the whole Schumacher story, I can remember being at Ibrox just after the 82 World Cup when we played Cologne in the 1982 Uefa Cup. From the very start of the game, Schumacher was booed mercilessly as a result of what he did to Battiston. However, mid way through the second half a Rangers player is down injured and Schumacher, very sportingly, kicked the ball out of play to allow the injured player to get treatment (it must be remembered that this was done in the days before it was de-rigueur to do such a thing). Cue a massive round of applause from the bears for Schumacher and we're all friends again.

Didn't Schumacher end up being best man at battistons wedding? Or have I got that disastrously mixed up with something else :))
He wasn't his best man but I think that story was printed years ago, not true though. Schumacher did go & meet him unannounced the day before his wedding to try & apologise.

Schumacher's autobiography is well worth a read, got him kicked out of the national team & the Bundesliga!

well the world cup final in 2002 lol (to be fair Kahn was outstanding in the game apart from 2 errors)

well the world cup final in 2002 lol (to be fair Kahn was outstanding in the game apart from 2 errors)

Will never forgive Kahn for the injury to Mols.
I know it wasn't a particularly bad challenge and Mikey landed awkwardly, but we were all over Bayern that night, and that moment was the turning point in Advocaat's tenure. We were playing the best football I've ever seen at Rangers, with Mols the talisman. Fortunately Stevie G is getting us back to those levels on a relative shoestring budget.

Back