Hard shots

Decent - try a mouldmaster on the thigh from a corner, freezing cold around 1969.
Remember that experience well, you could have the pimples from the ball on your leg for days.
One boy in our BB side caught one from point blank in the face one Saturday morning, broke his nose, blood everywhere and two black eyes by the Monday

Remember that experience well, you could have the pimples from the ball on your leg for days.
One boy in our BB side caught one from point blank in the face one Saturday morning, broke his nose, blood everywhere and two black eyes by the Monday
Especially if you got some haddy with no idea how to play football just giving it an almighty TB every time it comes near them. The ball being sent flying through the air at a dangerous pace with no due care or attention.

I tried to score from the corner kick and realized that I could only use my bare thigh. Ball went straight to their goalie and as I lay there in pain, everyone played on and ignored me. All weather pitch too :))

I was just thinking about this when scrolling down.
The baw bounced back to the halfway line. Belter :eek:
If that was the Branco* freekick I'm sure I heard they scrambled to set the wall quickly and Ally was meant to be in that position! :cool:

Last edited:
Especially if you got some haddy with no idea how to play football just giving it an almighty TB every time it comes near them. The ball being sent flying through the air at a dangerous pace with no due care or attention.
In whatever direction they happened to be facing, as likely to be out for a corner as a bye kick or shy, an own goal as an effort on goal.

Decent - try a mouldmaster on the thigh from a corner, freezing cold around 1969.
Or the double whammy of the Mouldmaster to the thigh followed by lacerations to the knee after falling on the frozen gravel pitch.

And all the while it’s minus whatever with wind chill factor on a Saturday morning in January and your coach thinks vests and gloves are for poofs.

wasnt any different in the 80's, red ash pitch covered in glass with a mouldmaster. Even worse was our red ash pitch was next to around 10 grass pitches at the KGV's which we werent allowed on :(

I've played with a few Albertz types before who have inflicted similar on me. Always the left footers!

Pfft, if have taken one on my thigh anyday, after I took one square on the ear that almost took my head off!

I still shudder thinking about it :(

My sympathies sir, caught one in the torso years ago that left an imprint for a while.
Played 5s with an enthusiastic, if somewhat limited pal whose first attempt on goal was a blaster that took the goalie right in the face and burst his nose, quickly onto the rebound, he blasted the second shot which hit the hand the goalie used to protect his face, breaking his finger, third shot hits the goalie in the body, third rebound scuds off the bar thankfully and up over the fence.
Stunned looks all round as our hero eventually realises the carnage he’s caused and sheepishly goes to ask his victim if he’s ok.

Size 4 Mouldnaster was just a large version of a golf ball. For some reason they thought them appropriate for the younger kids. Mustve put some off football for life.

Size 4 Mouldnaster was just a large version of a golf ball. For some reason they thought them appropriate for the younger kids. Mustve put some off football for life.
Yip,if you headed one of those bad boys the wrong way,it felt like a big chunk of your hair came off with it !!

If that was the Branch freekick I'm sure I heard they scrambled to set the wall quickly and Ally was meant to be in that position! :cool:
I thought it was Dunga, but just googled it and it was Branco.

MacLeod said: "I'm told Ally McCoist asked to swap places in the defensive wall when Branco was lining up to take it.

"He'd apparently seen wee Mo Johnston knocked down by a Branco free-kick that struck him on the thigh earlier in the game and so gave his position in the wall more thought than I obviously did.

"When the team came back into the dressing room after having gone down to a 1-0 defeat I remember Ally saying to me 'Wee man, it could have been worse. It could've been me'."

Back