Hardie to Blackpool

Perhaps not but any player being sold to the English market should have one imo.

I get that but these teams buy players in the hope that after a year or 2 they can sell them on and make money, they won't want to have to then share that money with us.

Think some folk just think we can add that clause in when we feel like it, not realising the other team won't want it and could then just pull out of the deal.

Good luck to him, a very impressive finisher of the ball, no doubt he will have a very good career.

I get that but these teams buy players in the hope that after a year or 2 they can sell them on and make money, they won't want to have to then share that money with us.

Think some folk just think we can add that clause in when we feel like it, not realising the other team won't want it and could then just pull out of the deal.

I suspect the way it works will be that if you want a sell on then the buying club will insist on a lowered fee. It's a bit like an insurance policy - if you increase your compulsory excess (the sell-on percentage) it reduces your premium (the fee). It then comes down to whether the selling club are prepared to 'risk' the lower fee for the potential - and it's nothing more - slice of any future big transfer fee.

What’s the bets the undisclosed fee for Ryan Hardie won’t cover the wages paid to him since turning pro in 2014 never mind “development costs” hope there’s a sell on clause

The only way we get a Dev Fee is if we offer him a contract, on similar or better terms than his existing one, and he rejects it to move on elsewhere. Ryan Hardie has accepted every contract we have offered him, as is his right and I don't criticise him for that. Therefore, we either take whatever transfer fee we can get, release him at the end of his contract next year (and get no Dev Fee) - or offer him a new contract next Summer on equal or better terms (in which case we'd get a Dev Fee if he rejected it and moved on).

As it stands, we've got a rumoured fee of £150k plus whatever we are saving in salary over the next 12 months. A probable total of circa £250k. A Dev Fee would, indeed, have been greater than that - but it was probably never going to happen.

Last edited:

Cant see this ever being a deal breaker. Its zero risk for the buying club other than losing say 5% of the profit of any future deal.

Wish him all the best for his future career.
A bit disappointed he never made it at Rangers though every year I thought he would eventually break through. Sadly it never happened but throughout it all he has acted as a true professional.

We shouldn't be selling anyone without a sell on clause, even the dregs of English money could be important for a club like ours.

Agree. We should also make more or the option to buy back at a cheap price that likes of Madrid and Man City (just bought back young left back after good season in Holland) do with their young players.

Don't think it's a great message for the youth players. If you go ouy on loan and impress you'll be sold for an undisclosed fee.

Had such high hopes for him coming through.

He just never seemed to kick on physically. The boy knows where the goal is but he won’t reach what he’s capable of until, physically, he grows up.

All the best to him though.

One of his biggest problems for me.

Built like a 15 year old, was never going to suit us through the middle. Will do a job for a fast counter attacking side.

Don't think it's a great message for the youth players. If you go ouy on loan and impress you'll be sold for an undisclosed fee.

Can’t see the problem.

We try hard to find moves for players to ensure they have careers even if not at Rangers when not good enough, genuinely can’t understand your problem there.

Would you rather we just dropped them out the club via termination?

Or just score 10+ goals to keep them in the division at minimum outlay

Why? We got 2 million for Windass this time last year as I remember . And I am sure we will get more fees for fringe players
I didn’t it mean it literally. We’ve had loads of fringe players over the last couple of years we can’t get a fee for. Even Cardoso was eventually released.

I didn’t it mean it literally. We’ve had loads of fringe players over the last couple of years we can’t get a fee for. Even Cardoso was eventually released.

I agree it’s frustrating but a lot of times it’s about getting these guys a new club and freeing up the wages they are on . Guys like Dorrans , Lafferty May be allowed to leave without a fee but that could free up 20k a week in salary

I agree it’s frustrating but a lot of times it’s about getting these guys a new club and freeing up the wages they are on . Guys like Dorrans , Lafferty May be allowed to leave without a fee but that could free up 20k a week in salary

We’re going to struggle to shift them.

Had such high hopes for him coming through.

He just never seemed to kick on physically. The boy knows where the goal is but he won’t reach what he’s capable of until, physically, he grows up.

All the best to him though.
It's incredible to think its been four years since he played and scored in his first few games for us in the championship. Unfortunately he still looks the same size and build as he did then. Hopefully he does well down there.

Not really.

The message is if you go on loan and impress you will get the chance to come back and have the manager look at you in training. If you are not good enough for our squad, which he isn’t, then you will be sold and go with our very best wishes.

I can’t see the issue here. We all want to be able to produce our own young players but they have to be good enough.

The Cordoso one for me is really strange. He didn’t do that badly for us, was still young, reasonably rated in Portugal and we let him go after 1 year for nothing after spending a large amount on him (relatively speaking).
He is now back in Portugal and doing well again.

Absolute Nonesense.

Back