Harry Hood has died

Rest easy sir,my partner worked in angels for quite a few years,and never had a bad word to say about him,was fair approachable and a gentleman.

And up popped Harry Hood that was what we heard many a time, I used to work on the Clydeside and an older guy Wullie (who only had about two bottom teeth at the front ) was a mad Clyde supporter he used to say that all the time and he was peed off when he went to the dark side but HH was a good goalscorer, RIP HH.

Be interesting to see how the scum mark his passing.
They can't milk it for a cup final like McNeill and Chalmers

Genuinely lovely man.
Nothing but the greatest of respect for him.
I met him a few times, first time when he and Alex Macdonald presented medals at a cup final.
A few years later, I played against Thorniewood and we turned them over.
He was at the game and congratulated us in the social club.
I told him we’d met before.
Of course, much to the amusement of my teammates of the day, he took the p saying he remembered me!

Always made a point of speaking to me and the wife anytime we were in his pub
A true gentleman
RIP
Harry

I remember him making his debut for Clyde at Ibrox in the very early 60s. I recall he scored a hat-trick against us in the 1973 League Cup semi-final when there was an offside experiment taking place where the 18-yard line was extended to the touchline and you could only be offside in the space between that line and the right on that line. He played right on that line the whole game. I remember being told that Jock Stein had a go at him for Celtic conceding big DJ's last minute equaliser in the 1971 Cup Final. He had run to the bye-line and crossed the ball into Peter McCloy's hands who threw it out to Willie J who fired it straight downfield over McNeil's head for DJ to beat the oncoming goalkeeper. Stein felt he should have taken the ball to the corner flag to waste time.

I remember his time at Clyde back in the 60' when he was their outstanding player. That mob tried to buy him from Clyde around 63/64. Although he was a part time player with Clyde, he also worked for Dunn & Moore which made lemonade and other soft drinks at their factory in Bridgeton. The Dunn family owned Clyde. He apparently refused the transfer as his combined wages with Clyde and Dunn & Moore were substantially more than that mob were offering. He eventually transferred to Sunderland instead. He came back to Clyde a few seasons later before Stein signed him for that mob. My main memory of him against us was when he scored their winner at Ibrox in 1969 on a pishing wet day. I also think that was Baxter's very last game against them. Sad to hear that another player from my younger days has passed away.

... Yer Lou Macari, yer Kevin Barry, yer Harry Hood!

Never met the guy, don't know if he was a nice guy or not, but I used to love joining in with this song in my plooky, non-PC youth.

P.S. RIP

That s when you know you're a good player.

When your rivals fans make up a song about you..

Sorry to hear HH passed away ,only met him in Argentina when he had a Scottish brewers type of blazer on ,we had a good bit of crack with him & he took it all in good humour
We actually had a hold of a local hooker & asked Harry if he fancied a wee shot ( he declined) but he did ask how it went after the event ???
Will always remember that encounter in Cordoba with Harry but more memorable with the gorgeous " Maria "
HH came across as a good guy

Played against him with Falkirk reserves 1972 remember tackling him and putting ball out for a corner he turned around and said well played son never forgotten that nearly 50 years ago r i p harry

I remember his time at Clyde back in the 60' when he was their outstanding player. That mob tried to buy him from Clyde around 63/64. Although he was a part time player with Clyde, he also worked for Dunn & Moore which made lemonade and other soft drinks at their factory in Bridgeton. The Dunn family owned Clyde. He apparently refused the transfer as his combined wages with Clyde and Dunn & Moore were substantially more than that mob were offering. He eventually transferred to Sunderland instead. He came back to Clyde a few seasons later before Stein signed him for that mob. My main memory of him against us was when he scored their winner at Ibrox in 1969 on a pishing wet day. I also think that was Baxter's very last game against them. Sad to hear that another player from my younger days has passed away.
That's a really lovely post. Loads of history in there. What comes across is your lack of disrespect for Celtic players of that era but at the same time being a Rangers man.

Years back I got a wee job at angels behind the bar, he walked in one night and seen me pouring a shite pint and gave me it tight, we had a good laugh after he calmed down, he even said sorry for shouting at me :)

Got on great with all the regulars and will be sadly missed

Sad to hear, I used to drink in Angels years ago and he was a thoroughly decent man. I remember when Scotland were last in the world cup, the first game against Brazil he said - a free drink for everyone if Scotland scores. And the big fella was true to his word.

RIP Harry. Condolences to the family.

Lovely guy, he looked after his customers well. Also, he and his family did a neighbour of mine a real turn recently.

RIP Harry.

Met him while out fishing long time ago & didn't recognise him. Said he had pubs but use to play for Clyde amongst others, told me his name & I replied that I had sang his name a few times. Your a Celtic man then he asked......no I replied....to be fair he took it in good part. R.I.P. Harry.

Always came across as a nice quiet type of guy . Condolences to his family.
Remember the song feck your Harry your Lou mccarri you harry hood.

A name I'm familiar with when I started watching football. Remember he scored a hat trick against us in a cup game. Strange that's 3 of them off within weeks. Condolences to Harry's family.

Jimmy Quinn
Don't know about McGrory
Possibly McPhail in 57
Stevie Chalmers
Harry Hood
and the 40 million man a couple of years ago

all scored hat tricks against Rangers.

The thing is, the League Cup rules were changed in 1973/74 and if the rules hadn't been changed then no Harry Hood hat trick against us.

Jimmy Quinn
Don't know about McGrory
Possibly McPhail in 57
Stevie Chalmers
Harry Hood
and the 40 million man a couple of years ago

all scored hat tricks against Rangers.

The thing is, the League Cup rules were changed in 1973/74 and if the rules hadn't been changed then no Harry Hood hat trick against us.
Is that the 18 yard offside line?

Condolences to Harry Hood’s family. Reading this thread would confirm he was a good man. Although I had the misfortune to see his hat trick against us, he was a Celtic player (along with others like John Clark, Stevie Chalmers and Bobby Lennox) who I had a grudging respect for although they caused us a lot of problems in their time.

To be fair - he had a great career and made a good living running pubs etc and by and large people who dealt with him reported a decent human being.

He might have played for our rivals and been the butt of a few songs and chants but he was from a time which now seems rather saner than the internet chaos and clyping that passes for rivalry these days.
Nice wee tribute,i remember Harry when he played for Clyde,he was not a rabid.

He was friend of ours who has a season ticket in the main stand. Was told at the Hibs game that he was well. RIP Harry from all the Rangers family

The Angels, Uddingston was my local in my younger days.
Harry Hood would always welcome everyone with a smile and a bit of chat.
Sorry to hear of his passing and wouldn't say a word otherwise.
RIP Harry.

Is that the 18 yard offside line?

No. Apart from anything else I think the extended 18 yard line was only used in the Dryburgh Cup, but I could be wrong.

No in 1973/74 the LC sections rules changed to include the top two in the four team sections going through. Before then it was only the top team in the section who went through.

Rangers topped our section, which included the filth. In any other previous season only we would have went through. So we wouldn't have met them at the semi final stage.

I hope that makes sense.

No. Apart from anything else I think the extended 18 yard line was only used in the Dryburgh Cup, but I could be wrong.

No in 1973/74 the LC sections rules changed to include the top two in the four team sections going through. Before then it was only the top team in the section who went through.

Rangers topped our section, which included the filth. In any other previous season only we would have went through. So we wouldn't have met them at the semi final stage.

I hope that makes sense.
I see I misunderstood.
The 18 yard offside line was definitely used in the league cup, perhaps just for one year as I clearly remember it. I think I attended a Rangers 1 Celtic 2 match at Ibrox in the first part of the 1970's, I think Scott scored for us. Other posters may be able to clarify this.

Back