Has anyone done a 'permutations of a draw or loss to YB' spreadsheet?

immortal7

Official Ticketer
I understand if we win we top and if we draw we go through as winners if Feyenoord win or draw.

Has anyone mapped out all the permutations so we know WTF is happening? I don't want to be like Ryan Jack at FT in De Kuip everytime someone scores...

If we win or draw we're through regardless of other results. If we lose and Porto don't win we're still through
Yup, it's as simple as this.

The permutations for going top are a little more complex, but not much more:

If we draw and Porto win, we're second in the group
If we draw and Porto draw or lose, we're top
If we lose and Porto win, we're out
If we lose and Porto draw or lose, we're second

We win on Thursday and we win the group.
We draw on on Thursday and we're through, 2nd if porto win or 1st if porto don't win (YB will be second if this happens).
We lose and YB win the group, we'll be out if Porto win or 2nd if Porto don't.

Edit: Big buff beat me to it as I was writing this.

Truly believe that young boys will be overwhelmed due to a positive response from the weekend’s robbery, and that will see us proudly through as group winners. My opinion is based on the assumption that Ryan jack is fit. Otherwise, the game will be closer imo, meaning that we will need to think about the permutations of all results.

Truly believe that young boys will be overwhelmed due to a positive response from the weekend’s robbery, and that will see us proudly through as group winners. My opinion is based on the assumption that Ryan jack is fit. Otherwise, the game will be closer imo, meaning that we will need to think about the permutations of all results.

They know they are all but out unless they win (a draw and Feyernord win at Porto is the only other way they go through). So Young Boys will have to come out and try and attack us, they are shakey defensively and unless their keeper plays a worldie, I can see us winning by atleast a couple

Let's keep it simple and get the 3 points :) Winning this group really would be a fantastic achievement tbh.

Absolutely, to think even up until those point we really shouldn’t have lost a game up until this point. The away performances have been superb and the two home wins were very comfortable.

One of the guys in heart and hand was saying yesterday if we draw and other result goes against us we could go out.

I know these guys are just fans like us but ffs that's basic stuff and completely wrong to be putting out there.

Let's keep it simple and get the 3 points :) Winning this group really would be a fantastic achievement tbh.
It would.

We have to be smart though. If it's clear that Porto are winning are we are e.g. 0-0 well into the second half, then we shouldn't be silly about chasing the win when a draw would take us through.

It would.

We have to be smart though. If it's clear that Porto are winning are we are e.g. 0-0 well into the second half, then we shouldn't be silly about chasing the win when a draw would take us through.
I get what you're saying m8, but sitting back and inviting them to come at us, could be equally as problematic as a late goal from them would put us out. Better to stick to our game plan without being reckless

One of the guys in heart and hand was saying yesterday if we draw and other result goes against us we could go out.

I know these guys are just fans like us but ffs that's basic stuff and completely wrong to be putting out there.

Ffs who was that? My money is on Cammy.

I'll be honest - in the past couple of months there have been multiple points where I've listened to Heart and Hand and went WTF are you talking about, after hearing something blatantly incorrect.

The one that springs to mind is the Barisic being suspended for Feyenoord chat. There's definitely someone who pronounces Tavernier as "Ta-ver-nay-ay"

The players will be wanting to get on that park so badly after Sunday, they will be hurting from but they must be feeling confident in their own ability after the absolute pounding they gave the much hyped puddle drinkers.

Qualification is important but I actually think winning the game is important too. If we don’t win it’s 4 game without a win and we need to get that winning momentum back. Building that up would be nice before a visit to torbett towers

To go through top of the group;

Win or draw

To go through second in the group;

Lose while Porto draw or lose

We qualify with:

A win
A draw
A loss, if Porto don't win.

We win the group with:

A win
A draw, if Porto don't win

Ffs who was that? My money is on Cammy.
I'll be honest - in the past couple of months there have been multiple points where I've listened to Heart and Hand and went WTF are you talking about, after hearing something blatantly incorrect.

The one that springs to mind is the Barisic being suspended for Feyenoord chat. There's definitely someone who pronounces Tavernier as "Ta-ver-nay-ay"
Not sure who it was to be honest.

Yeah have noticed a few times blatant nonsense being spoken about things like that. Everyone can make mistakes but sometimes theres another guy or 2 guys and no one will correct them.

Qualification is important but I actually think winning the game is important too. If we don’t win it’s 4 game without a win and we need to get that winning momentum back. Building that up would be nice before a visit to torbett towers
Aside from your point which is valid, it should increase the chances we get an easier game in the next round.

It definitely means more money. If we win, the win alone brings in 570,00 euros plus it means we win the group, that brings in another 1,000,000. If we draw and end up second, we lose 880,000 euros in the process.

League Table Calculator is really handy.

Win or draw for us = we qualify and we only come second in the group if Porto win.

If we lose, YB win the group and we need there to be a draw in the other game to guarantee qualifying in 2nd place.
If we lose and Porto win we're out.
If we lose and Feyenoord win we can qualify on goal difference (see below).

Blue = scenarios where we qualify
Red = scenario where we don't qualify

Rangers win / Porto win (any score) = Rangers top group with 11 points to Porto's 10
Rangers win / Porto draw (any score) = Rangers top group with 11 points to Porto's 8
Rangers win / Porto lose (any score) = Rangers top group with 11 points to Feyenoord's 8
Rangers draw / Porto win (any score) = Porto top group with 10 points to Rangers 9
Rangers draw / Porto draw (any score) = Rangers top group with 9 points to Young Boys/Porto 8 (YB 2nd on GD)
Rangers draw / Porto lose = Rangers top group with 9 points. YB qualify 2nd unless Feyenoord win by 3 goals (3-0 or 4-1, etc)

Now the arse twitchers....

Rangers lose / Porto draw (any score) = Young Boys top group with 10 points to Rangers 8
Rangers lose / Porto lose (any score) = Young Boys top group with 10 points to Rangers 8. Rangers qualify with better H2H record than Feyenoord.

Rangers lose / Porto win = Porto and Young Boys both finish on 10 points. Porto will win group if they win by 3 more goals than YB - eg if YB win 1-0 or 2-1, Porto need to win 4-0; 2-0 and Porto need to win 5-0

Last edited:
Not really, cos its head to head that determines league placing. We have a better head to head against both porto and feyenoord.so if we lose we finish on 8.if porto draw they go to 8 points but behind us on head to head. If feyenoord win they go onto 8 but behind us on head to head. So simply as long as porto dont win we are through regardless

League Table Calculator is really handy.

Win or draw for us = we qualify and we only come second in the group if Porto win.

If we lose, YB win the group and we need there to be a draw in the other game to guarantee qualifying in 2nd place.
If we lose and Porto win we're out.
If we lose and Feyenoord win we can qualify on goal difference (see below).

Blue = scenarios where we qualify
Red = scenario where we don't qualify
Orange = scenario where we qualify depending on the scoreline relative to the other game.

Rangers win / Porto win (any score) = Rangers top group with 11 points to Porto's 10
Rangers win / Porto draw (any score) = Rangers top group with 11 points to Porto's 8
Rangers win / Porto lose (any score) = Rangers top group with 11 points to Feyenoord's 8
Rangers draw / Porto win (any score) = Porto top group with 10 points to Rangers 9
Rangers draw / Porto draw (any score) = Rangers top group with 9 points to Young Boys/Porto 8 (YB 2nd on GD)
Rangers draw / Porto lose = Rangers top group with 9 points. YB qualify 2nd unless Feyenoord win by 3 goals (3-0 or 4-1, etc)

Now the arse twitchers....

Rangers lose / Porto draw (any score) = Young Boys top group with 10 points to Rangers 8
Rangers lose / Porto win = Porto and Young Boys both finish on 10 points. Porto will win group if they win by 3 more goals than YB - eg if YB win 1-0 or 2-1, Porto need to win 4-0; 2-0 and Porto need to win 5-0
Rangers lose / Porto lose = Young Boys top group with 10 points. In this case Feyenoord can qualify and knock us out if there is a 4 goal swing.

if we lose by 1 goal, they finish 2nd if they win by 3 goals.
if we lose by 2 goals, they finish 2nd if they win by 2 goals.
if we lose by 3 goals, they will finish 2nd with any win.
Not quite. As mentioned in post #47, tiebreak would be broken on head to head and we have a better head to head than both Feyenoord and Porto. The only combination of results that we don’t qualify under is a Rangers loss and a Porto win.

the good thing about the Feyenoord Porto game for us is that the ONLY way Feyenoord can go through is if they beat Porto and Young Boys beat us.

The only way we can go out is if Porto win and we lose

the good thing about the Feyenoord Porto game for us is that the ONLY way Feyenoord can go through is if they beat Porto and Young Boys beat us.

The only way we can go out is if Porto win and we lose
That’s not right. A Feyenoord win and a Rangers win puts both through

Back