Has John Fleck Eventually Fulfilled His Potential?

Has John Fleck eventually fulfilled his potential?

• Yes

Votes: 311 66.2%
  • No

Votes: 74 15.7%
  • Can’t Say

Votes: 85 18.1%

• Total voters

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
Similar to Barrie McKay.....

Some quarters of FF will have you believe he was supposed to be playing “top end EPL” very shortly after leaving rangers.

How’s each player getting on now? How many tv apps? How many apps in Europe? How many caps? How’s their longevity at the top end of the EPL? How many clubs knocking on the door? How many of their home fans are “buzzing” to be in their shoes right now?
Talking of McKay, why is he modelling himself after Lloyd Christmas. I think @punksnotdead will be waiting a long time for that big money move in the EPL!

TexMexBear

How he doesn’t get picked is pretty bizarre.
Not when you consider the selection policy of the bigotted clownshoe in charge now. How the fuk does the Father of the Year continue to get selected (rhetorical question...)

I've a mate who is a Sheffield Utd fan, and he's been raving about Fleck since he signed. They love him. Would be good to bring him home to replace Davis when he retires in a year or 2, but he could end up at a higher level SPL team.

punksnotdead

Talking of McKay, why is he modelling himself after Lloyd Christmas. I think @punksnotdead will be waiting a long time for that big money move in the EPL!

You could be right mate but I'll not lose any sleep over it. I still say McKay was one of the most naturally talented youngsters I've seen in ages. Whether he had the desire or application is another matter. Would love to have seen him playing in the current Rangers team with better players around him and the benefit of Gerrard's coaching though but that ship has sailed.

Still, at least we can agree that Greg Stewart is due a wee run in the team.

Danger Zone

Just the tip...
You could be right mate but I'll not lose any sleep over it. I still say McKay was one of the most naturally talented youngsters I've seen in ages. Whether he had the desire or application is another matter. Would love to have seen him playing in the current Rangers team with better players around him and the benefit of Gerrard's coaching though but that ship has sailed.

Still, at least we can agree that Greg Stewart is due a wee run in the team.
To be fair mate I’ve never once denied McKay’s ability, it’s the main reason I don’t like him, I find it infuriating when a player has his talents but just doesn’t have the drive to make the most of it. Most players in Scotland would give their left baw for his raw talent.

I said prior to Stewart signing that I thought he’d be more effective against tight defences than Candeias, the thing that made me change that view was that in his few fleeting appearances he looked a bit fearful and tentative as though he might be one of these players who just can’t quite handle the pressure at expectation at a club like ours. But full credit to the guy, he looked the business yesterday and if he can keep doing that I’ll be well and truly eating my words. Was over the moon for him.

Cooperfan

I went to watch the youths when the hype was about. He's taken a long time to fulfil his potential (if he has as he was tipped for the top). The next Wayne Rooney comments didn't help him.

Family bam

His surname isn't McGinn so there's little to no chance of being a regular starter with the National team.
The wee Fella's worked his socks off and deserves every success that comes his way.
No bad from a young lad fae Possil.

devilman

He's doing very well and is a very good player these days by all accounts. I actually didn't think it was ever going to happen for him but good on him.

Derek90

Distinctly remember he was compared to Rooney which was unfair on quite a few levels at his age. Very happy for him now

baystatebear

When he was at Rangers everyone spoke of Fleck's potential. He was, and still remains the youngest player to play in a British cup final after a two-minute cameo in 2008 final against Queen of the South at 16. He was, in many respects, the 'Billy Gilmour' of his era.

Somehow, it didn't work out for John at Ibrox, he was a classic example of how hard it is for a young player to make the grade with Rangers - only Barry Ferguson being the obvious example. The pressure to win things - especially during those periods were the yahoos are dominant - is intense. If a young player promoted from the academy does't hit the ground running, they inevitably find themselves the subject of the 'never good enough', 'not Rangers class' jibes.

Is there anything we can learn from Fleck's success that could be useful to our current crop of talented players in the Rangers youth system? In any case, I for one, am delighted at John Fleck's new found and deserved fame.

Papac

Somehow, it didn't work out for John at Ibrox, he was a classic example of how hard it is for a young player to make the grade with Rangers - only Barry Ferguson being the obvious example. The pressure to win things - especially during those periods were the yahoos are dominant - is intense. If a young player promoted from the academy does't hit the ground running, they inevitably find themselves the subject of the 'never good enough', 'not Rangers class' jibes.
For me that just suggests how good Ferguson was.

World class footballers being signed and he still stood out among them.

two2tango

Official Ticketer
Just watched motd fleck was immense in what was shoen

wonder if he would come back under Gerrard?

erskine bear

I really really like him and wanted him to succeed since he left . However Murray set him up for a fall , If I’m right the RST posted an article and one of the points was not enough promotions from the youth team , next week Murray is chanting we have the new Wayne , (comparison probably made on his stocky build and the second striker role ) , now as a psychologist , if you continually tell a 16 year old kid How great they are , they will believe you and start to privately believe that .That wouldn’t have been good for fleck , also that pressure on him from a young age , I know a boy that went to school with him albeit a year or 2 below and said he did behave as has been described in this thread , I’m so glad he’s showing his talent at that level , 100% deserves to be in the Scotland team. Just one question though , I remember him being lightening quick at one point (Celtic Glasgow cup final) has he lost that or am I just over exaggerating ?

erskine bear

Christ I really miss the 2000s and watching the youth games on RTV. Stevie Lennon was another one who’s openly said he didn’t try hard enough and was partying too much

Oco1981

Fleck has been doing it for seasons now and should have been around that Scotland team a few years ago.

He’s not that quick but has enough to get around the park and his football intelligence more than makes up for his lack of pace. On top of that he now seems incredibly fit.

Delighted he’s doing so well.