Has John Fleck Eventually Fulfilled His Potential?

Has John Fleck eventually fulfilled his potential?

• Yes

Votes: 311 66.2%
  • No

Votes: 74 15.7%
  • Can’t Say

Votes: 85 18.1%

• Total voters
He's a very good player by Scottish standards, but is he better than Ryan jack? Not for me and that's the acid test.

He's doing very well and is a very good player these days by all accounts. I actually didn't think it was ever going to happen for him but good on him.

When he was at Rangers everyone spoke of Fleck's potential. He was, and still remains the youngest player to play in a British cup final after a two-minute cameo in 2008 final against Queen of the South at 16. He was, in many respects, the 'Billy Gilmour' of his era.

Somehow, it didn't work out for John at Ibrox, he was a classic example of how hard it is for a young player to make the grade with Rangers - only Barry Ferguson being the obvious example. The pressure to win things - especially during those periods were the yahoos are dominant - is intense. If a young player promoted from the academy does't hit the ground running, they inevitably find themselves the subject of the 'never good enough', 'not Rangers class' jibes.

Is there anything we can learn from Fleck's success that could be useful to our current crop of talented players in the Rangers youth system? In any case, I for one, am delighted at John Fleck's new found and deserved fame.

Somehow, it didn't work out for John at Ibrox, he was a classic example of how hard it is for a young player to make the grade with Rangers - only Barry Ferguson being the obvious example. The pressure to win things - especially during those periods were the yahoos are dominant - is intense. If a young player promoted from the academy does't hit the ground running, they inevitably find themselves the subject of the 'never good enough', 'not Rangers class' jibes.

For me that just suggests how good Ferguson was.

World class footballers being signed and he still stood out among them.

Amazing what happens when you play a player in their natural position

Delighted for the wee man

Just watched motd fleck was immense in what was shoen

wonder if he would come back under Gerrard?

I really really like him and wanted him to succeed since he left . However Murray set him up for a fall , If I’m right the RST posted an article and one of the points was not enough promotions from the youth team , next week Murray is chanting we have the new Wayne , (comparison probably made on his stocky build and the second striker role ) , now as a psychologist , if you continually tell a 16 year old kid How great they are , they will believe you and start to privately believe that .That wouldn’t have been good for fleck , also that pressure on him from a young age , I know a boy that went to school with him albeit a year or 2 below and said he did behave as has been described in this thread , I’m so glad he’s showing his talent at that level , 100% deserves to be in the Scotland team. Just one question though , I remember him being lightening quick at one point (Celtic Glasgow cup final) has he lost that or am I just over exaggerating ?

Christ I really miss the 2000s and watching the youth games on RTV. Stevie Lennon was another one who’s openly said he didn’t try hard enough and was partying too much

Fleck has been doing it for seasons now and should have been around that Scotland team a few years ago.

He’s not that quick but has enough to get around the park and his football intelligence more than makes up for his lack of pace. On top of that he now seems incredibly fit.

Delighted he’s doing so well.

Considering he was touted as the next Wayne Rooney and hes now at a bottom half premier team and at the same level as Jack imo I'm going to say no chance but he has made a good career eventually, I think folk are forgetting how high our expectations were at the time and he hasn't reached those heights not even close

Depends on what you mean.

I don’t think he’s hit his ceiling, so I would say he hasnt. But he’s had a very good career

Remember reading earlier in the season he had one of the highest running speeds recorded this season in the PL. don’t ever remember him being particularly quick which made that fact surprising.

Johnny Fleck drinks irb-bru, he is our Scottish hero, on a free from Coventry he cost us fu××in zero.......five foot four and hard as f+ck he gets the Blades excited, shove your We××esday up your arse cos we are SHEFF UNITED!

(Yankee doodle)

Bigoted shame of United slated their rivals like that.

Wheres Tom English when you need him.

Considering he was touted as the next Wayne Rooney and hes now at a bottom half premier team and at the same level as Jack imo I'm going to say no chance but he has made a good career eventually, I think folk are forgetting how high our expectations were at the time and he hasn't reached those heights not even close

Is the right answer. He was expected to absolutely go to the top so I would still say he has a long way to go to get remotely close to there.

Cracking player and probably now very under rated but still not hit the heights we all hoped he would.

EX-RANGERS star John Fleck was given a 10/10 rating for his sensational display for Sheffield United against Man City last night.

The Star handed the former Light Blues wonderkid top marks after he took control in the middle of the park at the Etihad up against the likes of Kevin De Bruyne, Rodri and Bernardo Silva.

The newspaper’s Danny Hall initially dished out a NINE to Fleck before changing his mind this morning.

Last night he wrote on Twitter: “Considering the stage and the opposition midfielders...I can't remember a more complete midfield performance than John Fleck's.

“Gave him a 9/10 in my ratings, my second ever, and that's about as high a compliment as I can pay #sufc #twitterblades.”

An hour ago, the sports writer said SORRY to the Scotland international for his first rating.

He wrote: “Not that he'll care but I owe John Fleck an apology...he should have been 10/10 in his ratings yesterday, and now is.

“Sorry, John. #sufc.”

Fleck, 28, was involved in the English Premier League game’s two most controversial moments.

Lys Mousset thought he had scored in the first half after being put through by the Scot’s sublime pass, only for VAR to rule it out.

Then in the 52nd minute, Sergio Aguero fired home for City just moments referee Chris Kavanagh obstructed Fleck as he prepared to receive a pass from Oliver Norwood.

Speaking after the match, he told BBC Sport: “I think I've been caught in an unfortunate moment, there are no complaints.

an unfortunate moment, there are no complaints.

"Out on the pitch there is a lot of frustration but it is one of those things.

'CERTAINLY A BLUENOSE' Celtic vs Rangers: Alan Brazil teases Ian Crocker over Old Firm commentary

“I understand the rule if it hits him the game is stopped but not if he's just in the way. It is unfortunate."

Fleck left Gers for Coventry in 2012 - after the Ibrox club’s liquidation - before joining the Blades four years later.

Because he didn’t hold down a regular first team place at 16/17 people had him down as being a waster.
We need to be more patient with our youngsters

EX-RANGERS star John Fleck was given a 10/10 rating for his sensational display for Sheffield United against Man City last night.

The Star handed the former Light Blues wonderkid top marks after he took control in the middle of the park at the Etihad up against the likes of Kevin De Bruyne, Rodri and Bernardo Silva.

The newspaper’s Danny Hall initially dished out a NINE to Fleck before changing his mind this morning.

Last night he wrote on Twitter: “Considering the stage and the opposition midfielders...I can't remember a more complete midfield performance than John Fleck's.

“Gave him a 9/10 in my ratings, my second ever, and that's about as high a compliment as I can pay #sufc #twitterblades.”

An hour ago, the sports writer said SORRY to the Scotland international for his first rating.

He wrote: “Not that he'll care but I owe John Fleck an apology...he should have been 10/10 in his ratings yesterday, and now is.

“Sorry, John. #sufc.”

Fleck, 28, was involved in the English Premier League game’s two most controversial moments.

Lys Mousset thought he had scored in the first half after being put through by the Scot’s sublime pass, only for VAR to rule it out.

Then in the 52nd minute, Sergio Aguero fired home for City just moments referee Chris Kavanagh obstructed Fleck as he prepared to receive a pass from Oliver Norwood.

Speaking after the match, he told BBC Sport: “I think I've been caught in an unfortunate moment, there are no complaints.

an unfortunate moment, there are no complaints.

"Out on the pitch there is a lot of frustration but it is one of those things.

'CERTAINLY A BLUENOSE' Celtic vs Rangers: Alan Brazil teases Ian Crocker over Old Firm commentary

“I understand the rule if it hits him the game is stopped but not if he's just in the way. It is unfortunate."

Fleck left Gers for Coventry in 2012 - after the Ibrox club’s liquidation - before joining the Blades four years later.

Admittedly I’ve only seen brief highlights, but he must have had some game when his side only had about 30% of possession and lost two nil.

Back