Has the Champions League lost its magic

No major European competition has been won outside Germany , England or Spain for years. The closest anyone got was us . For most competitors outside these leagues it's about money. We are basically the Yeovil waiting on a big draw or a run to make money .

Sadly, we cannot compete at the Champions League level, and naturally, that will help form peoples opinion of it.

The EL is what the 90s Champions league used to be. Competitive. One where we've shown we can compete. Which again, helps form our opinion of it.

Brian Moore, the ITV commentator of “it’s up for grabs now!” fame, retired in 1998 and died in 2001.

For me, the end of his involvement in broadcasting marked the beginning of the end of the golden age of televised football.

The CL still felt special when it was on ITV. I used to love Clive Tyldesley and Big Ron Atkinson. Then when we were in the group stage STV had their own Scottish coverage with Archie Macpherson on commentary duty. Advocaat’s side were playing some quality football.

Then Sky got the bulk of the games which lessened the magic of the tournament somewhat because fewer people could watch it, but at least ITV still had some games.

But then it went to BT exclusively (who had even fewer subscribers than Sky) and, crazy as it sounds for UEFA’s premier club tournament, it sort of began to feel like a bit of a niche competition. BT have since rebranded to TNT.

“The Champions League? I completely forgot it was on last night. What channel? Oh, TNT? Don’t have that. Who won? Man City? Thought so”

It's sad to even call it the Champions league with 3 to 4 teams per high level country getting entry.
The simple two legged process was the best ,no seeds , privileges just one country against another with the possiblity of an upset , now a team can have a few loses , yet still qualify for the next round.

Like all tournaments take out seeding ( which is essentially match fixing) and you would have a much better tournament. It’s become stale because you can’t play certain teams until the 1/4 finals

In terms of the ‘big leagues’ a lot of them are getting boring too. A lot of teams playing with the exact same tactics, with an emphasis on athleticism over skill. And the same teams winning more often than not in the last decade in each of them.
That is why I so much enjoy the old rough and tumble of Scottish football. Also, I think you have to have a connection in some way. I have a connection to Dutch and Scottish football, but although I live in Germany, I virtually never watch a German game. I have totally no connection with the Champions League unless Rangers are in it.

Likewise.

Not one of the round of 16 ties this year excites me. Only Napoli v Barcelona and maybe Inter v Atletico Madrid are up for grabs. The winners of every other tie are pretty much nailed on.

Man City v Copenhagen looks to be the only tie that's got a nailed on winner.

OK it might be a but of an upset if Lazio or Porto for example won, but its not that crazy to think they could.

It’s all about the money these days, and it’s only going to get worse with the new format

They even took the highlights package off free to air Tv

Has been boring for years due to the big 5 teams having a monopoly.Us from the smaller leagues are just fodder tbh.

Like all tournaments take out seeding ( which is essentially match fixing) and you would have a much better tournament. It’s become stale because you can’t play certain teams until the 1/4 finals

The new format should change this a bit and make it more competitive.

Based on this year's pots, you could have had City, Bayern, Madrid and Inter all having to play each other in the group, which opens things up for those further down as they can't all win every game.

If we make it in then I reckon the new format gives us the best chance we will have had for a long long time to be competitive and make it into the play off round at least.

I'm not sure if it's because Rangers are not in it (even when they are it's a cash collection exercise only) but I find myself not very interested in it. Recently moved back to Europe from Asia which makes it a lot more accessible from a time zone point of view. One of my friend in HK even said "You'll be able to watch the CL now". Yet I find myself only catching bits and pieces of it. I haven't "set the clock" to sit down and watch an entire game. I just don't feel any connection to it. Perhaps that will change with the latter stages but not so sure
I'll probably not watch any tonight. I'll be watching Rangers v Ross County tomorrow (of course) so this week's games are a bust.
Even for the EPL which initially I was very excited about catching all the live games my interest has flagged and I find myself watching MOTD and maybe one live game per week
I wouldn't say there's too much football on tv but there's too much for me to watch all or even most of it
It would be ridiculous to say CL or EPL is not good but, especially in the case of CL for me, it is not particularly interesting

I still enjoy it, but it definitely does seem to be losing more of its magic as the years go by. It's always great when there is a less fancied or underdog type side progressing and doing well. It still happens, but doesn't feel anywhere near as much. Villarreal, RB Leipzig, Ajax making semi-finals and Inter making the final in the last 6 or 7 years has been about it recently. So, I agree with others that it's becoming a bit like Groundhog day seeing the usual suspects each season in the quarters and beyond.

Much prefer the Europa League. (Mostly because we do well in it, too :))

When the CL changed format to allow 4 or even 5 clubs from one division to enter the main stage, when they took the very essence of the European cup away from it and having the Champions of each division in Europe entering.

For me, the CL lost its sheen many years ago. It’s been built by the biggest clubs for the biggest clubs, greed dictates what happens with this thing now.

If I was in charge, the old format of good old fashioned knock out competition would come back. Every single side entered into round 1 and if big clubs get drawn straight away, one goes out until we get a winner.

Group stage football, especially CL, is pish now.

The Europa League is far more competitive, and more entertaining to watch for me.

Lost interest when it went behind the BT paywall and the same teams playing each other every season. City must have played Shaktar about every season for the last decade it's ridiculous.

Sick of the sight of Shakhtar tbh

Last edited:
It has always been mega boring. They should go back to the old style knock out European cup with only the league winners allowed to compete.

Some of my most entertaining and memorable times watching football have been watching late stage CL games. I don’t think it’s lost its magic at all. It’s not very interesting until the quarter finals but that’s the same for most cups.

Have to say, I do find it a tad ironic that people say they can't watch it because only 5 or 6 teams can possibly win it nowadays.

We are all supporters of a team in a competition that only 2 teams have any possibility of winning.

Man City v Copenhagen looks to be the only tie that's got a nailed on winner.

OK it might be a but of an upset if Lazio or Porto for example won, but its not that crazy to think they could.

Arsenal will beat Porto then probably get battered off PSG or Real Madrid in the quartets.

20 years since Porto won it. Last time a club out of the big 5 leagues.

Sad how it’s evolved really. Rarely watch it any more tbh - that’s pretty telling
An absolute joke that we talk about France being 'top 5' while countries like Portugal and the Netherlands are outside of that.

Since that final you mention in 2004, the entire French league has been to as many European finals as Rangers.

The preferential seeding in that teams from same countries etc cannot be in same groups is all wrong. It should be one big pot and fill groups as the balls are drawn.

Could you imagine some of the groups of death or the wee teams that get a group that they can realistically qualify from as they avoided all the big teams for that one year.
Agreed, but it’s all down to TV, so the companies are able to sell maximum advertising - for example, if you had two German teams playing each other, that’s two ‘German’ games you lose, so you can’t as many premium advertising slots.

Take us - guarantee us a place in pot 1 every year and give us a tv pot the same as England. We’d be closer to competing. The definition of a cartel.
That’s one of my biggest annoyances- the TV money we get is based on the size of the TV audience in Scotland, but the TV rights are sold on a UK basis, so we have to
ay the same as England

It’s been a gradual chip chip chip for me
- the seeding (no jeopardy)
- allowing 4 teams from some countries
-direct entry for non-champions, whilst champions had to qualify 3 or 4 rounds
- the biased nature of the co-efficient
-not in terrestrial tv anymore (ok, many had Sky already)
- going to BT (so second subs needed)
- not even the final on free to view tv (YouTube doesn’t count)
- the unfair money distribution v costs to watch for Scottish fans/clubs

Let's take it back to when only the champions of each league qualified for the top European trophy.

But as we all know, the cartel of top clubs and the money men would never allow it.
Tbf it would be utter shite if it went back to that. The teams are not level pegging now. So it would just be Man City running over the top of everyone pretty easily and it would be a shite watch.

The old format was good when teams from other countries could compete. We simply are not anywhere near the champions of England, Spain, Italy, Germany anymore. Which is sad.

I think some are slightly misty eyed in relation to the past,

The past when it was genuinely open to all sides and any team could win it is the 1960s,

It's been mostly dominated by sides from Spain, Italy, England and Germany for about 30 years.

A lot of people speaking about a time when it was a genuinely open competition most likely weren't actually old enough to have seen it be that

This was thrilling and exciting for a year or so. I would probably find it quite boring if they kept it going for ten or fifteen years.

16638799.jpg

An absolute joke that we talk about France being 'top 5' while countries like Portugal and the Netherlands are outside of that.

Since that final you mention in 2004, the entire French league has been to as many European finals as Rangers.
That’s not true:

PSG have been in 3
Marseilles have been in 3
Monaco in 2
Bordeaux in 1
Bastía have been to a final and Reimes were in early EC’s.

True they are below Portugal and Netherlands and shouldn’t really be considered top 5

Same can be said about our domestic league. Only us and them that can realistically win it.

Over the last 15 years even that isn't true due to us being handicapped by all the cheating that went on to have us put down the divisions.

That’s not true:

PSG have been in 3
Marseilles have been in 3
Monaco in 2
Bordeaux in 1
Bastía have been to a final and Reimes were in early EC’s.

True they are below Portugal and Netherlands and shouldn’t really be considered top 5
You might want to read my post again.

That would really improve the quality wouldn't it lol.
It’s not the quality that people are bored with. The best players in the world are all playing in it. It’s the lack of competition. UEFA are trying to appease the elite clubs by loading the deck, which is already loaded in their favour, even more in their favour. An example is Atalanta a few years ago. They did well in the competition and received over €10 million less than Inter who were gash. This was down to their historic ranking. That gap would be even more of the TV money was split based on their country.

The goals show was good for a while but even that has got utterly boring

A few weeks ago there was HT of a match day and only 2 goals had been scored

It's been boring for years. Same teams, give or take the occasional lucky team, playing each other in the knockouts after thumping the lower teams in the groups. Money has ruined it. The EL is a much better competition.

It's sad to even call it the Champions league with 3 to 4 teams per high level country getting entry.
The simple two legged process was the best ,no seeds , privileges just one country against another with the possiblity of an upset , now a team can have a few loses , yet still qualify for the next round.
I'd say that the original CL, that we were cheated by Marseille, was the best format. Champions only then.

Have to say, I do find it a tad ironic that people say they can't watch it because only 5 or 6 teams can possibly win it nowadays.

We are all supporters of a team in a competition that only 2 teams have any possibility of winning.
is anyone saying our competition is any good?

nobody would watch any of the games other than our own

Says a lot when my ambition for next season is to make the CL so that we can get the riches it offers whilst depriving the dregs of humanity of the same bounty in the hope that we might make 3rd and get a crack at the Europa League where we'd have a glimmer of hope.

We had serious ambitions, even expectations of winning it when I was growing up. That isn't even a pipe dream anymore.

I'd love it if the European clubs outside the big 4 or 5 leagues could get together and do our own thing but due to the financial apple I alluded to at the start of this post it'll never happen.

Of course it has
As soon as non champions were allowed in it / just became a revenue stream with far too many games
The increase of games next season will only increase the drag on fans finances / interest

100%. The irony is that they have made the Europa and Conference a lot more interesting while trying to ringfence the champions league as a closed shop for the elite.

is anyone saying our competition is any good?

nobody would watch any of the games other than our own
That’s not true.

I watch any SPL or Scottish championship/cup game that’s on the tele, far prefer watching that than two English teams boring each other to death.

Quite a few of us on here are the same.

Every leg is generally won by the same small group of teams, I do agree that things would be better if leagues were more competitive. Including ours.

Back