Has the winter break now become a thing of dread for us?

Bring-on-56

Two years into Gerrard reign and we referenced year ones winter break hoodoo, this then followed with even worse the second year. What should we do this winter break season 20/21 (providing the season runs as normal). Go back to Dubai? Stay at home? What’s your thoughts?

There is no chance of a winter break next season no chance fixture pile up already with the crooked bastards trying to finish the Scottish Cup. Also they won't chance a break incase there is a flare up of this virus or another version of it.

They both came at the wrong time for us, when we were building momentum. Still absolutely no excuse for the level of collapse both times and we simply cannot allow it again. Whether there is one this coming season is a different story right enough.

Just let the manager and the players read what TLB has rec
Two years into Gerrard reign and we referenced year ones winter break hoodoo, this then followed with even worse the second year. What should we do this winter break season 20/21 (providing the season runs as normal). Go back to Dubai? Stay at home? What’s your thoughts?
Just let the players and manager read what TLB ,the fat Japanese,Doncaster and every pundit!Has recently spouted,never mind a winter break,post it on the dressing room walls,the training ground,in theircarsand walls at home,never let them forget it,ifthat doesnt spur them on then they just don't get it?

Just let the manager and the players read what TLB has rec
Just let the players and manager read what TLB ,the fat Japanese,Doncaster and every pundit!Has recently spouted,never mind a winter break,post it on the dressing room walls,the training ground,in theircarsand walls at home,never let them forget it,ifthat doesnt spur them on then they just don't get it?

I see that phrase on here a lot. Post it on the dressing room wall. It makes no difference. We have a team who have never won anything and a few of them are very comfortable remaining that way. They aren't winners and dont have a winners mentality. You cant give someone that, it's already in them..

All we need to do is win our matches.

Dubai however was seen as a holiday camp by the looks of it as they came back a different level after the break.

Psychologically it’s become a thing. Arrange some friendlies in Scotland. And keep any momentum up. It’s like winter in Scotland the majority of the year anyway so may as well train in the cold rather than the heat

There’s probably not going to be a winter break due to all this. But if there is they should be sent to the Cairngorms for their session!

I think the actual activity/schedule on the winter break is a bit of a red herring.

On both occasions we've enjoyed euphoric scenes in beating Celtic.

On both occasions we've beaten them for the first time this season.

On both occasions we've reduced the lead and still not actually went top.

I think the psychological attempts of thinking you've done the hard bit - Gerrard's reaction at the end of the recent game was one as if he'd actually won the league - and that not necessarily being reflected in the positions of the league table, is much more damaging.

One of the reasons is a lack of squad rotation given the lack of depth/quality. Players are publicly encouraged to 'give it their all' prior to the break - I think they're basically knackered and it takes time to recuperate.

I think there's been complacency. For example, start the best team against Stranraer instead of arsing around.

Back to the squad depth - we can't cover suspensions, injuries and off-form players sufficiently.

Having them train in Glasgow won't affect the above. People are too keen on trying to pinpoint one reason for the poor return after the break.

Scrap it. The bad weather always comes after the winter break, think they would have learned that by now!

Last season it came at the right time as we were out on our feet with the games played and picked up a few injuries. This season it came at the wrong time because of the momentum we had I do think we would have kicked on after the win against the scum without the break. The break itself should be scrapped after what happened this season with the weather lessons should be learned.

As for the trips they're not to blame for our collapse it's a mentality issue within the squad that's the problem.

I see that phrase on here a lot. Post it on the dressing room wall. It makes no difference. We have a team who have never won anything and a few of them are very comfortable remaining that way. They aren't winners and dont have a winners mentality. You cant give someone that, it's already in them..
Got to start somewhere senora,you could take 11 supporters out the crowd,that would give you 110%,but not be winners,but they understand what it's about,walking thro the front doors of Ibrox,should be enough motivation for any player but we seem to be. Half hearted after these breaks! Altho I will agree it's a mentality thing with the players!

All our issues aside, the winter break is a joke. The weeks that we break from football are always extremely mild, the weeks from February onwards are generally much colder and what you would expect in Scotland. We manage just fine during this (well, we don’t but the break doesn’t help).

It needs binned, not just for us but in general it’s a load of bollocks.

Got to start somewhere senora,you could take 11 supporters out the crowd,that would give you 110%,but not be winners,but they understand what it's about,walking thro the front doors of Ibrox,should be enough motivation for any player but we seem to be. Half hearted after these breaks! Altho I will agree it's a mentality thing with the players!
PS hope all is well with you!

I would say there is no chance of a winter break as the season wont be starting on time but knowing the SPFL they'll have us playing 3 times a week up til xmas so it can get fitted in

Nope. Players not being good and/or strong enough mentally is the problem.

I cannot fathom out the performances against Porto or Braga away compared to Hearts x 3 and St Johnstone for example.

It has nothing to do with winter breaks.

I don't think there's a need to scrap the warm weather training nor do I think we'd be in a better position now that had we trained in Scotland in January.

I think a change of approach is needed rather than totally beasting them. I'd give them less time off and play 2 games. Maintain fitness and approach it as if it's postponed games.

That lot have been there last 2 seasons possibly longer and it's not done them any harm...quite the opposite actually.

I'd argue the winter break in Dubai probably gave players the extra motivation to play over December as they had something to look forward to.

I think the actual activity/schedule on the winter break is a bit of a red herring.

On both occasions we've enjoyed euphoric scenes in beating Celtic.

On both occasions we've beaten them for the first time this season.

On both occasions we've reduced the lead and still not actually went top.

I think the psychological attempts of thinking you've done the hard bit - Gerrard's reaction at the end of the recent game was one as if he'd actually won the league - and that not necessarily being reflected in the positions of the league table, is much more damaging.
I don't think for a minute he thought he'd won the league,more a psychological barrier had been taken away, that we could go there and win. I certainly expected us to kick on and couldn't wait for the restart as I'm sure most of us felt.

What benefit does the break bring to anyone? It's in the wrong place regards weather as end of Jan / Feb is usually worse and only results in fixture congestion later on. Bin the break in my opinion

The players need to come up with reason they have bossed Celtic mainly but found wanting against the diddy sides. Anyone who cant stand the heat wearing the famous Jersey needs to be honest and step out the kitchen. No room for passengers this year.

F*ck the glamourized holiday away in the sun so the players can get a nice wee tan on their legs, stay at home in the pishin freezing rain and see the difference.

There is no chance of a winter break next season no chance fixture pile up already with the crooked bastards trying to finish the Scottish Cup. Also they won't chance a break incase there is a flare up of this virus or another version of it.
They certainly won't risk it if we are ahead in the league when it's due
If they are ahead they will probably extend it to the summer and award them a tainted tenth as there's no time to fulfill the fixtures

Back