Has this been a good season for us?

Judging by this thread we are no better off than we were 3 years ago when we made the Scottish cup final.

Bed wetting gimps the fucking lot of you!

No. Domestically, it can't be viewed as anything other than a disappointment, with the 2 cup defeats from sheep representing the biggest boot in the baws.

Howevet, there is progress for those who want to see it and don't get carried away with the negativity. Good and unexpected Euro run, much more competitive in OF games, a decent spine of the squad installed and at long last, we've comfortably established a gap to the rest.

Gerrard's performance as boss has een a mixed bag. I'm hoping that this is the season he needs to figure out the league, make his mistakes on the job and pinpoint exactly who and what we need to take the next step and actually start winning trophies again next season. Still got faith that he's the right man for us and his will and determination to succeed will see us come good.

And regardless of the above, you know what would be most welcome? 5 straight wins to finish the season. Still wouldn't be enough but would put some doubt into the minds of the mhankies and let them know that they'll be in for a proper challenge next year.

Better than the previous two seasons by a long distance but, at the same time, frustrating in that imo we had every opportunity to win the title. We had all the momentum after the January break and blew it completely that night down at Killie. Imo that was the game that cost us and it gave them a cushion. Gerrard gambled by not restarting with the same team that had done that mob at Ibrox in December. It's been a better season but Gerrard's inexperience cost us. I still think he is the right man and I just hope he has learned a lot from the season.

We have made huge strides this year, as have a few other teams in the league (a lot of people forget that). The tramps however have stood still. If we had a bit of consistency this year we could have had the title wrapped up

If you were stoating about calling the Europa league an inferior competition after last autumn then Rangers or football isn't for you!
So your goal isn’t the champions league ?? It’s mine . I don’t want second best whether it’s the league position or European competition. And in answer to your comment , if you are happy being second to the beasts then maybe supporting rangers is not the club for you

People keep answering an unasked question, for this thread.

Has there been improvement, absolutely, no doubt whatsoever.

However has it been a good season. I think most people at the start talked about second and a cup win being a good season. Second, fair enough, but not even a cup final, and put out by Aberdeen in both cups.

Is that really a good season, by Rangers' standards.

Nope. Europe was superb but its been disappointing overall. Struggling to beat the same sides again and again, papped out both cups in embarrassing fashion so not even a sniff of a cup final.

I’ve seen some valiant attempts to dress it up as being something more than it is, but of we’re honest it’s been crap.

Nothing's going to take away the joy of beating the tramps in December, but the pain of the Cup defeats and the needless dropped points is so f#cking frustrating. Deep down I expected a wee bit better than what we got.

What you thinking, guys..?

What am I thinking?

I'm thinking it's been fucking horrendous!

Watching a Celtic team that was there for the taking romp to another title and probably a treble treble can't be described as anything else.

Group stages of the lesser inferior trophy , I wouldn’t say it was a great run

Iirc no team with that many qualifiers had made it to that stage in the competition before us. We made it with a team who at the beginning didn't know each other at all.

In a season immediately following a reset of manager and most of the squad you can't really demand anything. It was a great run.

Not in the slightest. Yes, we qualified for the group stages of the UEFA, but let's be honest, we blew it after a great start.
Domestically, we've experienced the same failings that have plagued us since we've been back. Our cup performance has been disgraceful.
Almost any other manager would get slaughtered for our overall performance this season.
I've been looking back over the season this last week with my blue tinted specs off. No cup finals and out of the title race by March. Nowhere near good enough.

No. I think Steven Gerrard gets a free pass since its his first attempt and he took us on a good run in Europe. I take no comfort from beating ceptic on the 1 occasion as we haven't progressed from there.

Next season is huge and will either be the making or breaking of the manager. The one thing that concerns me is that the dhims have money to burn and I think they'll go all in to bring them 10. If we don't start the season well I fear for us. Yes we can build on this season but that lot will likely throw the kitchen sink at it.

Decent run in europe, domestically another disaster, if Gerrard doesn't win a trophy next season he will be gone.

No I don't think it has been. Another season where we have won feck all and the bheasts will probably win the treble again is not a good season by any stretch of the imagination.

No. I think Steven Gerrard gets a free pass since its his first attempt and he took us on a good run in Europe. I take no comfort from beating ceptic on the 1 occasion as we haven't progressed from there.

Next season is huge and will either be the making or breaking of the manager. The one thing that concerns me is that the dhims have money to burn and I think they'll go all in to bring them 10. If we don't start the season well I fear for us. Yes we can build on this season but that lot will likely throw the kitchen sink at it.

I don’t agree that the yahoos have money to burn, they have a whopping wage bill they need to service .

If they had not sold Dumbelee and without champions league football ball, they would have been showing a loss financially.

Nothing's going to take away the joy of beating the tramps in December, but the pain of the Cup defeats and the needless dropped points is so f#cking frustrating. Deep down I expected a wee bit better than what we got.

What you thinking, guys..?

People are desperate to sugar coat the season as good, but reality suggests otherwise. Domestically we’ve been really poor & Europe we conspired against ourselves in the group stages.

Since December 29th we pretty much failed to show what we can do until the second half of 31st March.

So the season hasn’t been good IMO

They were ravaged by problems off the field this season and we've still failed to capitalise.

This was a great chance to get 55 and I just hope they are still as frugal with their spending next season. I have a feeling they'll go for it unfortunately.
If we have another poor season, Gerrard will be gone and we'll be looking at trying to stop 10 in a row with a new manager.

I think we've got just about what we should have reasonably expected back in the summer. Alot more in terms of Europe, but that's evened out by struggling to beat Aberdeen Hibs and Killie.

We're a better team than last season, but we still need quite a few bumps ironed out.

Looking forward to seeing what/who the summer brings.

No it hasn't, if results are what we go by, but I prefer to look at is as the Prelude of better things to come. From where this club was particularly three/four years ago, and it's enivatable that there are going to be few false dawns along the way, we have and are making good ground; last season the manager began his tenure with no real nucleus to the side, as he begins next season that won't be the case. I'm very optimistic about our chances in what will now be the short term; we are in good hands now.

getting to the group stages was great but once there it was disappointing to not get out the group.

the league - meh
cups - disaster

better than the last few years but that isnt praise.

Without that great foray into Europe we would be berating the management team and board imho. That adventure polished a turd. This season promised so much but failed to deliver. Failing against teams with hugely inferior budgets was sacrilege. The games against Dundee in December and that farce against Kilmarnock after the break really hampered any potential statement of intent.

It's been so up and down. Some weeks the team has displayed what they are capable of and given us great hope and other times made you pull your hair out. We have also defeated ourselves with stupid mistakes but I still have hope SG can step by step tweak things and get those errors ironed out. It's work in progress.

It's relatively satisfactory.

This season needs to be measured against the backdrop of what's happened since 2012. In that context, our progress is undoubted and next season I expect us to take another significant step up by investing (for the first time in many years) in quality over quantity.

That's when we'll truly start to take big strides towards catching what I consider to be the weakest title-winning Scum team in many years (the irony of saying that about a potential treble-winning squad isn't lost on me - but it remains true; there is, after all, only two teams in Scotland and when one is only just rising off it's knees, the other is absolutely expected to win trebles).

If you were stoating about calling the Europa league an inferior competition after last autumn then Rangers or football isn't for you!

He must have been sitting with a good book and cup of coffee the night we played Zenit

Ive enjoyed it at times but it's been very frustrating. Early euro form and the 29th December are the obvious highlights.

Over the piece though we've just not offered enough in midfield for me, too inconsistent.

That celtic team is poor however and I think we really missed a chance post Rodgers to do something special. We really fucked up there.

I think our run in Europe was better than expected and our one win v the fhilth was a very welcome result,Apart from them we have been poor.

Europe pretty good, domestically a whole lot of meh.

Probably some strides forward in the sens it looks like there's maybe the beginnings of a core of a team coming into play that can be built upon. However, ultimately we still lack the winning mentality and toughness needed to be a successful Rangers.

I think there's been a "kind of" progress, but ultimately I don't honestly feel like we're that much closer to winning 55 than we were at the start of the season and my gut tells me this year was a missed opportunity that might come back to haunt us.

The beggers have been terrible & went massively back the way yet still miles off them. A decent euro run doesnt powder coat it for me.
Need huge improvements next year to be in the running even more so if factor them improving(hopefully keeping on tlb halts this). Even taking away bad ref decisions we’ve had a shocking record against the better teams & it’s cost us dearly in both the league and cups.
Improvements on terrible years seems to carry a lot of clout with many fans.
Need to get real about it & not let some euro progress cloud judgement. In my lifetime(33) the runaway leaders have never been poorer. There has never been an easier chance to win the league & still fell massively short. Post winter break couldnt have went any worse.
When we’ve been good we’ve been excellant but when off the pace have been terrible & very rarely turned bad performances into victories. No inbetween. That’s what’s killed it ultimately.
Can argue went from too many losses to too many draws if thats the kind of progress want to praise but doesnt make way things have went any less sickening.

Last edited:
Back