Hastie To Motherwell On Loan Confirmed

Great, helping out a club who's CEO has been at the forefront of the SPFL corruption and trying to threaten and bully clubs to vote against Rangers calls for an IE.

Very good, our board are really showing themselves to be as in touch with the fans as previous incumbents.

We should be doing business with no SPFL club, least of all loaning them players.

Not even remotely realistic or sensible.

The reaction of fans from both sides just highlights how irrational supporters are.

Regardless of how much they dislike Jake for leaving, they're getting a player who performed well for them and wouldn't need a settling in period, a very sensible signing with no fee I would presume. I doubt Robinson shares their disgust.

We allow a young player the chance to develop in the same league we're competing in, at best he improves and comes back to compete for a place, hopefully having done damage against the filth, at worst we move him on, get a small fee and look elsewhere. I doubt Gerrard is bothered that his game time will be at the same club as David Burrows.

Operation stop the 10 get as many Gers players as possible playing in the league. Get a couple up to Aberdeen next.

As far as I'm aware you can only loan out 1 player per club within the Premiership, so 1 to Sheep, 1 to Motherwell etc and not multiple players to a single club. Changed a couple of seasons ago I think. Different with the lower leagues.

not really difficult.
Player agrees pre contract with us.
Goes on loan to previous club for the next season.

no no no....you implied was some kinda stipulation should insert when “ buying “ him . And he did go out on loan incase you missed it .Maybe , just maybe Motherwell didn’t want him back .... I’m sure that won’t make sense to you though.

no no no....you implied was some kinda stipulation should insert when “ buying “ him . And he did go out on loan incase you missed it .Maybe , just maybe Motherwell didn’t want him back .... I’m sure that won’t make sense to you though.
WTF is your problem?

OK I'll reword my post for you.

Should've been done last year. Get him on a pre contract and arrange to leave him where he was playing football. He was never good enough to come in and make an impact with us immediately

No wonder your on a new profile!!

Do you want any of those in our first team?
Did folk want Whittaker, Thomson, Murray, Brown, Riordan, O'Connor, McManus etc in our team?

The Motherwell guys listed are all promising young players, Robinson actually had them playing well at points last season

Has Robertson not got to take some of the credit for the likes of Turnbull, Hastie, Campbell, Scott?

Don't know enough about Scott. Campbell and Turnbull, no. Jury is still out on Hastie.

Doesn't mean Robinson hasn't improved or developed them. We will see what Hastie comes back to Rangers and if he improves?

Happy to see this, jump in class was a bit too much too soon. Hopefully gets his confidence back with some regular games in a familiar environment. All the best Jake

Don't know enough about Scott. Campbell and Turnbull, no. Jury is still out on Hastie.

Doesn't mean Robinson hasn't improved or developed them. We will see what Hastie comes back to Rangers and if he improves?

Scott went to Hull City in January. Took a wee while to settle, and had an injury, but has featured in their last 3 matches, starting twice, and has scored 1 in 3. He looked promising but left Motherwell at tad too early I thought at the time. I like the look of Campbell, tenacious wee guy who gets up and down the pitch. Turnbull, pre-injury, was going great guns - albeit its fair to say he disappointed against Rangers. If he can rediscover that form he is destined for a big move, most likely down South. My Motherwell-supporting mate, who's opinion I value since he's been going to see them for 50 years, says he's the best prospect they've had in his time. I wasn't overly keen on us signing Hastie and thought we should have had Turnbull in January 2019 before he extended his contract.

Last edited:
Good move for him, hopefully he proves himself and can help take something off the tims.

Good luck to Jake, I hope he comes back ready to kick start his Rangers career or get himself a decent move, and us money into the bargain.

For anyone moaning about how this helps Motherwell...

It does. It helps them beat other teams. He isn't allowed to play against us so it doesn't damage us at all. If anything, having to leave him out v us might even disrupt them.

Does it make them stronger against Celtic? Yes. Does it make them stronger against us? No.

So stop with the nonsense because you're talking rubbish.
I think it's a good move both for us and especially for Hastie, it's a tactic we should have been doing long ago, celtic have used this to their advantage, and as you said they can't play against us. Good luck to the lad I just think it was a bit early for him to come to us at the time.

Bud I get everything your saying.Honestly I do.I see the angles Rangers are on a win win here.Its nothing to do with that at all.That club went out it’s way to block our independent inquiry.They stood with the corrupt and called us out.Now as an old guy who finds it hard to forgive they are one of the clubs I would have nothing to do with ever again.
Completely agree with you and cooprfc, I think the only way that this sort of move can be done in a way that motherwell won't pull a fast one is by the inclusion of penalties for non appearances etc.

Btw old guy? You're 48 ya pup :D

On the question of Hastie, I have yet to hear a compelling case as to why he was signed in the first place. The whole situation suggests confusion and bumbling on Rangers part.

In future, when contemplating the signing of a young prospect, the following questions should be asked:

Do his skill-sets, his strengths, represent a need in the squad,

What exactly must to be done in terms of coaching to develop those strengths to a level where he would be regarded as a potential starter on the first team squad.

If the intention is to sign and then loan the player out, which team would represent the best environment for his development to take place (this would of course require regular monitoring of the players progress to ensure that everything is on track.)

Lastly, the fees and finances involved - is the potential risk/reward likely to be worth it?.

Of course there always is subjectivity in decisions as to who and who not to sign. But a template such as the above (or something like it), should be used as a matter of course by the scouting staff in consultation with the manager and his coaches, before making decisions are taken as to which young players Rangers might consider signing. Doing so, might at least help bring some rationality to the process.
I can see the merit in signing players like hastie and doc when they have great breakout seasons tbh, if we follow the Chelsea model (lite). Sign these guys on free transfers or low fee deals, loan them out to league 1/lower level English championship teams. If they do well then we either give them a crack at the first team and if they do well then they're an asset. We alternatively punt them at a profit back down south. Signing the likes of Hastie on a free then maybe getting 500k-750k for him from the likes of a Hull/Sunderland is a great business model for long term profitability.

Completely agree with you and cooprfc, I think the only way that this sort of move can be done in a way that motherwell won't pull a fast one is by the inclusion of penalties for non appearances etc.

Btw old guy? You're 48 ya pup :D
Lol cheers for the pup commmet. I was called old the other day with a 20 odd.Im 4, 50 in a few months.

Lol cheers for the pup commmet. I was called old the other day with a 20 odd.Im 4, 50 in a few months.
Its all down to perspective mate, I remember pulling a 24 year old bird when I was 21 and thinking she was ancient :D

Anyway, imo this move is the best for all parties. Hastie gets game time, potentially takes points off the teams around us, we free up some (though likely not much) wages and motherwell can look forward to the dizzying heights of maybe making it last the first qualifying round of the Europa.

Good move for him.

Regular game-time, more experience in the league, weakens Motherwell in games v us where he won't be available.

I think this is a great move for him. Taking the emotion out of it (Motherwell are C**ts), sending Hastie to that level of club where he'll play week in week out is what he needs. he's certainly good enough to be in their first team, but I hope the club have put pressure on in some way to ensure he gets enough game time.

We say all the time about Walter's team that won the leagues in his second spell were built mainly from players who had already done well in the division. Hastie, Kelly and Robbie McCrorie (when he goes on loan) should be taking this to stand out in the division in order to get an opportunity with us in the first team next year.

Pains me to give them credit, but that lot done it with Christie and it's worked well for all parties. Also key to remember, the more players we have in the division playing well against Celtic but unable to play against us is a bonus

Best of luck young man it hasn’t worked out but at least he’s pocketed a few quid which will allow him a comfortable lifestyle
Now about getting back to a resemblance of past player he was
Most definitely won’t be back at us unless it’s to get his contract paid up and away to another club permanently

Did folk want Whittaker, Thomson, Murray, Brown, Riordan, O'Connor, McManus etc in our team?

The Motherwell guys listed are all promising young players, Robinson actually had them playing well at points last season

We didn't buy Whittaker and Thomson and loan them out for two seasons. We have a much-vaunted coaching staff yet we're relying on Rotherham and Motherwell to develop Hastie.

Our team needs to improve season by season. Hastie will have to come on a heck of a lot to be challenging for a Rangers first team spot in the Summer 2021.

We didn't buy Whittaker and Thomson and loan them out for two seasons. We have a much-vaunted coaching staff yet we're relying on Rotherham and Motherwell to develop Hastie.

Our team needs to improve season by season. Hastie will have to come on a heck of a lot to be challenging for a Rangers first team spot in the Summer 2021.
Oh I agree on the part where he isn’t ready. I said that above to some one else that we should have agreed his pre contract then offered to leave him at Motherwell last year, to play games. He can learn from training but nothing teaches better than playing matches

Honestly cant see the point of signing a player from a club then loaning him back their.The world is going crazy

Honestly cant see the point of signing a player from a club then loaning him back their.The world is going crazy
Next to free signing and sending him back to the club he showed his potential and help him develop further? Unless he can get a loan at an English Championship club and get game time it's a good move for everyone

Must be wonderful signing for Rangers only to be told your moving to Rotherham or some other football outpost. Hardly an incentive for a youngster to join us, your hardly going to hit the ground running in a strange environment, new teammates and manager.
May be should have took the boy back and give him a chance and sent the guy who recommended him to Rotherham.;)

Great, helping out a club who's CEO has been at the forefront of the SPFL corruption and trying to threaten and bully clubs to vote against Rangers calls for an IE.

Very good, our board are really showing themselves to be as in touch with the fans as previous incumbents.

We should be doing business with no SPFL club, least of all loaning them players.
If he isn't up to the grade after 1 loan spell get rid of him. Waste of money signing him in the first place.

Back