Hate to say it, but it looks like Davis is getting too old.

He was the same as the majority of players in the first half. Made an outstanding tackle I'm the box that they probably would have scored from and got the assist for the first, no chance is it his age

Thought Davis, Arfield and Kamara were totally outnumbered and swamped in midfield. Not for the first time either. Think we need some serious upgrades in midfield for next season

Got to say we really don't like to support our players in these tried and testing times.

FFS Davis too old....he has been a stand out all season - even pushing players out of the way to set up Hagi for the first goal

Still a big player for us, just might be he needs his number of games managed to get the best out of him at this stage of his career. In saying that who replaces him in the games hes left out.

Not to take anything away from ronight's result, and as much as he brings to the team, it looks to me as if Steven Davis has started to lose the sharpness that is required to play twice a week. Usually he sits deep and runs the show, but the Braga players were far too quick for him tonight ( although he wasn't the only one), especially at their 2nd goal.
I suspect the manager will be looking to get some younger fresher legs for that position in the summer.

Hopefully he proves me wrong for the remainder of the season, but tonight I really noticed how sluggish he looked.
Jack isn't the quickest player either, I feel like we need a bit more pace in the midfield, our recent poor performances haven't been helped by our pedestrian paced 'recycling' of the ball.
Davis will be needed for the rest of this season and next season.

I'm sure its just form thing, like most of the team the last few weeks, I'm sure or hope he is being managed differently through the week to protect him more, given his age etc

Not to take anything away from ronight's result, and as much as he brings to the team, it looks to me as if Steven Davis has started to lose the sharpness that is required to play twice a week. Usually he sits deep and runs the show, but the Braga players were far too quick for him tonight ( although he wasn't the only one), especially at their 2nd goal.
I suspect the manager will be looking to get some younger fresher legs for that position in the summer.

Hopefully he proves me wrong for the remainder of the season, but tonight I really noticed how sluggish he looked.
Jack isn't the quickest player either, I feel like we need a bit more pace in the midfield, our recent poor performances haven't been helped by our pedestrian paced 'recycling' of the ball.
On the face of it, and only since the break, it’s easy to say this.
However, it’s every player who has been crap since then, bar Hagi.
If we did marks out of ten for all our games this year, McGregor and Goldson would get a six and the rest a five at best.
I’m prepared to give Davis the same leeway as Tavernier, Morelos, Kent and the rest just now.

Love Davis but there is a chance next season's Europa League (if we qualify) might be a bit too much for him.

Our league should be a stroll for him for a couple of years yet but like others have said an upgrade for his position in the summer would be ideal.

Who could be that upgrade? Someone on here suggested Lundstrum at Sheffield United. Is that realistic and are they even slightly similar?

Don't agree at all.

I think the problem is when we play well, Davis plays well, when we need someone to grab the game by the scruff of the neck and be in the trenches with us, he isn't that type of player and he struggles.

He hasn't become too old in 2 months.

I do think we need to look at a different type of CM to him if we are going to persist with the formation.

I think he is going through a bit of bad form and maybe managing him for the bigger games is needed. On his day him and jack in the middle are superb together.

He had a poor game but he surprised me after a slow start on his return. ONe bad game doesnt mean he’s past it.

Our inability to keep the ball was costing us last night we kept giving them the ball back too easily, Davis always wanted to go back the way.

I’m hoping he is just off form but he has been honking in 2020.

FFS ..He’s made a few mistakes but still been decent.

He sparked our revival last night by winning the ball back and hitting a great pass to Hagi for our first.

Davis was brilliant up till the winter break, so your saying since its turned to 2020 he's became too old?
Braga were a good side was with quality movement, a much better team than us, as simple as that.

He was great up until the thug Cosgrove committed one of the most vicious assaults of the season - one that Mr Cheaton didn't even think was worth a quiet word in the thug's ear.
He might need a bit more time, but I'm convinced he will be back as good as ever.

FFS ..He’s made a few mistakes but still been decent.

He sparked our revival last night by winning the ball back and hitting a great pass to Hagi for our first.
In what games has he been decent?

To be fair both Kamara and Davis have been very poor of late for quite a few games.
Ditto Kent.

Dont write him off. A class player who has been having a drop in his impeccably high standards. He is going to be a massive part in our run in in the league and Cups.

I’ll say it again, who didn’t struggle with their pressing?

Tavernier, Barisic, Kamara, Hagi, Arfield, Morelos. They all struggled badly for an hour because they just hounded us and wouldn’t give us a second on the ball. I get that Davis is slowing but what he didn’t suffer anymore than his teammates.

For 65mins I was watching the game thinking what has happened to our team. It was a brilliant comeback and we have given ourselves a chance when the tie looked all but over.

I thought Davis did look off the pace but I thought Goldson, Kamara and Kent were the worst.

Hopefully this will be the boost the team needs to start playing with some confidence. Davis should dictate play in our half and Hagi in the oppositions.

I agree he was way to slow in releasing his passes and their players were on top of him.

When we're toiling I'd say he never hides and probably makes more mistakes than some players have touches - but he's always working flat out to make things work.

He'll still do for me......

Got to agree with you I think/Hope next season he will be a squad player

Back