Have we ‘hardened’ as a support?

I have a book which I note snide comments from people I have come across over the last 7 years, you know the ones, not really into football, but let their bitterness slip.
I’m hoping FF have a plan for cards, like the Xmas cards, to be sent to these pricks.
I might even go out my way to send Tom Boyd one, signed by Beaton, inviting him to a party down the pub.

Jesus that's intense :D

The last seven years have turned me into a very bitter person when it comes to all things Scottish football. I will be an insufferable lady's front bottom when 55 is confirmed.

Hardened is probably the right word, but I'll never ever forget what all those bastards done and I'll certainly never forgive.

Yip.

I’m as bitter as phuck now. Won’t even speak to jump jets. Want nothing to do with the bastards.

They have had almost a decade of victory on and off the pitch - a political victory as much as a footballing one. And yet they still cannot stop looking over their shoulder at us...they had fawning praise from other teams, other fans, SFA, SPL, etc and yet they cannot relax. They crave victimhood, defeat to Protestant cheats and conspiracies.

We on the other hand now know how things go in modern Scotland....no one likes us, and we really don't care . There are no 'second teams' or 'fan friendships'. They ALL wanted us dead and buried. We've seen through the 'other ten' and the SFA and their bullshit national team.

It is clear that this period has changed Scottish football for ever...in more ways than we can yet see. But hardened, strengthened, toughened; yes, that is a fair appraisal.

The last seven years have turned me into a very bitter person when it comes to all things Scottish football. I will be an insufferable lady's front bottom when 55 is confirmed.

Hardened is probably the right word, but I'll never ever forget what all those bastards done and I'll certainly never forgive.
Having Hibs supporting family, before we were voted out the SPL I had mutual respect for hibs and wanted them to “do well”. After being voted out and the hate we received from everyone, I lost all respect for every team including hibs.

Seeing them get relegated in 2014 was one of the happier moments of “the journey”. I think they call it karma!

I would say our support now, both in loyalty and in voice, is far better than the early/mid 00's. The rise in the UB scene, the ticket waiting list, every away ticket taken. I would say the fans have become much more active in the years since 2012.

Scottish football has become a lot more bitter and I would say that the average fan in the away following is much more willing to give it to the home support. Would be a brave mob to try and have a go at the Rangers following now. When I started going to away games you were lucky if you got to stand, now it's pretty mental.

Anyone who thinks that mobs support has softed against us needs to go get a mental check up, they hate us, absolutely utter detest us, they would see us dead and buried and Ibrox flattened.

They've been revelling in what happened to us, the day we win the league I will celebrate like never before.

This is why it pains me to see some Rangers fans so forgiving towards them and would rather we didn't sing certain songs etc. %^*& each and every one of them. Give them hell on the streets and in the stands.

I feel hardened in my contempt towards all other Scottish teams and my desire to see us hammer every one of them. I have spent the last few years listening to moralistic shit from other teams support, those aids ridden Gorgie scum being the worst (joys of an Edinburgh office).

I want us to absolutely crush a few teams early in the season so anyone we play worries that if they are defensive we will rain down on them and if they try and match us in open play we will tear them apart.

I'm realistic about our performances and know we will slip up now and then. I honestly expect to win the league this season though.

When 55 comes I will be unloading on a few folk and they have it coming.

Up until 2012, I was always aware of the jealousy other clubs in Scotland had towards us. I assumed it was aimed at both us and Celtic equally, because - almost without exception - since our formation in 1872 and theirs in 1888, all the major trophies in Scotland have ended up in Glasgow.

Then Whyte, the Big Tax Case, the Wee Tax Case, Admin, Green, Ahmed, the Five-Way Agreement, unlawful punishments, demotion to the bottom tier, etc happened. I was totally unprepared for the wave of hatred and unabashed joy from not only our closest rivals and some lesser teams who stood to gain from our demise, but from ALL quarters.

From the early 20th Century up to the 'Naughties', we were the go-to club for testimonials, as other clubs knew we would bring along the biggest number of supporters. Our European appearances, under Souness, Smith, Advocaat and McLeish - although not always with the results we wanted - boosted the co-efficient far more than the other Scottish clubs and the inept international team combined, during that time.

In our first home game in in Div 3, we had a bigger crowd than all the other leagues combined.

HUWmjph.png

During that season, we set three new attendance world records -

Rk43A3S.png

xb8v9m1.png

pGW5I82.png

The supporters of the lesser teams openly stated that they would rather their clubs went bust, than take Rangers back. Fine.

With all of that, and the 'Ha Ha, 66' and 'You're No Rangers Any More' shite, I wish nothing but ill on every other team in Scotland.

Last edited:
Any 'benefit-of-the-doubt', empathy or 'kindrid spirit' approach to any club in Scotland, other than Rangers, has been ditched by me in recent times

This may well sound very negative - but it's a lot less negative than the malevolence shown to us in our weaker times

As for the so called authorities - well they were suspect long before our troubles began - & they've since got a lot worse- to the point now they really need to be eliminated en masse & replaced with people possessing more than half a brain cell & an understanding of the word honesty

Compare the half empty Ibrox of the early 80s to the full houses during ‘the journey’ (horrible term). There’s no doubt in my mind we’ve been radicalised, mobilised, call it what you will, as a support. Personally I hadn’t had a season ticket in 20 odd years until we got promoted under Warburton - you don’t know what you have till it’s (nearly) gone. If the whole episode was an orchestrated plan to sink us, it’s backfired big time.

Up until 2012, I was always aware of the jealousy other clubs in Scotland had towards us. I assumed it was aimed at both us and Celtic equally, because - almost without exception - since our formation in 1872 and theirs in 1888, all the major trophies in Scotland have ended up in Glasgow.

Then Whyte, the Big Tax Case, the Wee Tax Case, Admin, Green, Ahmed, the Five-Way Agreement, unlawful punishments, demotion to the bottom tier, etc happened. I was totally unprepared for the wave of hatred and unabashed joy from not only our closest rivals and some lesser teams who stood to gain from our demise, but from ALL quarters.

From the early 20th Century up to the 'Naughties', we were the go-to club for testimonials, as other clubs knew we would bring along the biggest number of supporters. Our European appearances, under Souness, Smith, Advocaat and McLeish - although not always with the results we wanted - boosted the co-efficient far more than the other Scottish clubs and the inept international team combined, during that time.

In our first home game in in Div 3, we had a bigger crowd than all the other leagues combined.

HUWmjph.png

During that season, we set three new attendance world records -

Rk43A3S.png

xb8v9m1.png

pGW5I82.png

The supporters of the lesser teams openly stated that they would rather their clubs went bust, than take Rangers back. Fine.

With all of that, and the 'Ha Ha, 66' and 'You're No Rangers Any' more shite, I wish nothing but ill on every other team in Scotland.

I’m nodding away here furiously like one of those wee back window car nodding dogs.

Brilliant post. My sentiments exactly

It has been a battle for us all. A hard one at that. Many a false dawn. It's made me personally very bitter towards any other scottish football fan/club. And to an extent this country in general too. The way we are treated leaves a very bad taste. Strengthened and hardened definitely. But the day we get 55 will be a special and emotional day, in the sense we have come through it. I sum it up by the feeling I get when just before kickoff on a sunny afternoon with Ibrox packed, the blue sea of Ibrox playing. Just as the music cuts off and all Bears go for it. You can hear that determination, strength and belief in the voices of all. Gives me shivers. And hope

There is no longer 'middle ground' with other teams/their fanbases. Individuals, eg Academical may be an exception. The hypocrisy, lies, cheating & frauds of 2012 et seq changed everything. Now it's Rangers & only Rangers for me viz FF, RFC & H&H for news. No-one else. WATP.

Anyone who thinks that mobs support has softed against us needs to go get a mental check up, they hate us, absolutely utter detest us, they would see us dead and buried and Ibrox flattened.

They've been revelling in what happened to us, the day we win the league I will celebrate like never before.
I dont think they've softened aga8nst us - I think they have forgotten what its like to have a challenge, they have been mollycoddled by the sporting and political authorities and have felt untouchable as a result

When change comes we will party like its 1999, but for them it'll be extremely hard to swallow

I'd say my expectation levels have dropped since we were papped down the leagues.

Of course I expected to win the leagues as we came back up but since we are back in the top flight and in Europe, I am expecting nothing and I am not letting myself get carried away.

I am letting this unfold and enjoying it as it comes.

The scum think they are entitled to success and are shitting themselves that it is all about to end. More worryingly for them, they think their board has cash to stop their rot and are refusing to stump up.

This

I've always been hardened and optimistic, the bad times don't last forever.
I genuinely believe that during our darkest days our support collectively has been stronger and more passionate than any other fans in the country. One benefit of the past few years is that our fans, especially the young team, have emerged with a steel mindset. A mindset and character that tells everyone outside of Rangers we won't be beaten or broken.
We've been galvanised by our love for our Club but also the hatred of our detractors and we have emerged stronger than at any other point in our history.

The future is bright, WATP.

This season the league is ours to lose. Mentally we are stronger than them on and off the park. WE outperformed them in games against them even going down to 10 men.
We've beat Killie and destroyed hibs already, while they talk of conspiracies and get pumped out of Europe and limp past Dunfermline.

People in Europe are starting to take notice, we have Defoe and Gerard with millions of followers on insta showing us in a good light.

55 is on the way, time to take our title back.

You would have thought it would have made us more resolute and cautious with a healthy dose of pragmatism.

It really hasn’t.

The circle jerking for guys like Coulibaly, Cardoso, Kamara was premature. There were guys wanting to give Green and Pedro more time. Some wanted Murty on a three year deal.

I think the example that embodies it most was the treatment of a poster on here who said he saw Pena out drinking and folk jumped on him. The optimism over him and Herrera was very farfetched.

There’s a real psychological experiment to be had in what seems to be our desire for a saviour and a pin up, even when evidence suggests the contrary on that individual.
That's not peculiar to Rangers fans or any other fans, it's just people in general.

The Python boys identified it in Life of Brian.

Brian: "I'm not the Messiah ! "
Mob member (John Cleese): "Well I say you are. And I should know, I've followed a few."

That's not peculiar to Rangers fans or any other fans, it's just people in general.

The Python boys identified it in Life of Brian.

Brian: "I'm not the Messiah ! "
Mob member (John Cleese): "Well I say you are. And I should know, I've followed a few."

Agree with what you’re saying, just surprises me that with the amount of false dawns and down right lies we’ve experienced, we might have become less exuberant in our addiction to circle jerking. The number of people who “had a feeling” about Sadiq was unreal. Logic decreases as desperation increases, seemingly regardless of past experiences.

Back