Have we been conditioned to expect an underwhelming appointment?

Standards1972

The guessing game and excitement has died a bit of a death. The original shouts of Allardyce and Dyche, maybe even Tuchel if he'd be interested! They've been replaced by a staggered reduction in expectations.

People seem fed up with bickering over McInnes and the board seem to be taking a very long time to appoint what will likely be a very 'meh' appointment; Chris Coleman, Michael O'Neil.

The appointment of a new manager should be an event dripping with excitement and possibility but I'm majorly sensing people just want it over and done with now and are prepared for someone they are going to be disappointed with.

Truth is ..the Board would get it tight no matter what they did with regard to an appointment .....'Aye they were too hasty and made a mess of it 'or on the contrary ,'They took too long and dithered far too much whilst targets signed for other teams'.

A no win situation if ever there was one.

Truth is ..the Board would get it tight no matter what they did with regard to an appointment .....'Aye they were too hasty and made a mess of it 'or on the contrary ,'They took too long and dithered far too much whilst targets signed for other teams'.

Would do you think they could have done to avoid that?

^^^ that's bang on ^^^

Just stick with Murty and hope his side doesn't drop points are what they are thinking.

Why replace him just now when he looks the best option?

Lets face it, there is no-one out there who could do any better than what Murty has done so far.

12 points from his next 4 games might just sway it in his favour

The most depressing thing is we were all having the same conversation midway through last season when the board dithered for ages and then produced Pedro from nowhere.

We'll probably be having it midway through next season as well.

I have a feeling we're gonna pull something out the bag here and that's why the situation is being drawn out so long. It's looking likely that it'll be December before we have our new permanent manager appointed, if it comes to pass that Murty or McInnes are given the role after all that time there will be a lot of unhappy supporters. I know we have fallen on unprecedented hard times over the past five years, and the TV money has priced us out of top level football, but surely to god RFC can attract a higher level of manager than Derek McInnes

I think the reason they seem to be dragging their heels is cause their is no obvious candidate.

The board in their statement when Pedro was sacked said they were looking for a manager that would play a brand of football the fans would expect.

Also working with a dof might be a factor

Started a thread about 10 days ago saying, no one has a majority.
Therefore the majority of the support are going to be unhappy, no matter who gets the job.

That isn't an ideal start for anyone.
At the first opportunity far too many will be shouting, "I told you I told you"
Neither will the support be so forgiving this time. Warburton and Pedro got plenty of chances.

Ex average International managers appears to be the standard, with McInnes as a safe fall back.
It saddens me, to see so many posts, "I will not accept (insert name)"
We are going to have to bite the bullet and run with it for 3 years.
We cannot go on sacking managers. Money needs to be invested in a young team.
Allen has got to make sure Auchinhowie is far more productive.

The guessing game and excitement has died a bit of a death. The original shouts of Allardyce and Dyche, maybe even Tuchel if he'd be interested! They've been replaced by a staggered reduction in expectations.

People seem fed up with bickering over McInnes and the board seem to be taking a very long time to appoint what will likely be a very 'meh' appointment; Chris Coleman, Michael O'Neil.

The appointment of a new manager should be an event dripping with excitement and possibility but I'm majorly sensing people just want it over and done with now and are prepared for someone they are going to be disappointed with.
Reading some of your stuff, bud, I think nothing short of Guardiola or Conte would “underwhelm” you.
It won’t matter who gets the job, the board will get it tight.
Problem is, for me, that, once you eliminate the top level of managers, who we cannot afford, them or their expected budget, you’re left with the second tier of management, at best, none of who could be considered as “outstanding “.
You could ask fifty supporters who they’d like, realistically, and get twenty different names.
Another fifty fans would offer a similar spread.
The board can’t really win this time.
More so after they’ve tried the abstract or ambitious with Warburton and Caixinha.

The most depressing thing is we were all having the same conversation midway through last season when the board dithered for ages and then produced Pedro from nowhere.

We'll probably be having it midway through next season as well.

Your first line is very true and your second line just cannot be allowed to happen.
This is why I’ve always thought the board will play it, need to play it, very safe this time.

I think that would be giving the Board too much credit for a strategy.

I think we’re relying on 3/4 guys to pick the next Manager. I’m not sure they agree on who it ultimately is.

I agree however, the standard will be far lower than we’d all love it to be and probably them too intact. I don’t think they’ve got their finger on the pulse at all with who’s hot and who’s not, as such, instead of seeking out someone noteworthy, we just leave open the application process and keep our fingers crossed someone credible applies.

Michael Laudrup for me - he's had a successful managerial career, experience of managing in the Premier League, his current contract is up next year and he has a chance to go back to managing in Europe once more. His brother's love for the club doesn't harm his chances, and he is notorious for signing value-for-money players, encouraging youth and an attacking style of play.

Ticks all the boxes and I'd rather the board go for that level of candidate and get knocked back than simply sitting back waiting for applications before pipping for Derek McInnes (who would improve us all the same, though isn't the best available out there). Unfortunately right now I can only see the latter happening.

Michael Laudrup for me - he's had a successful managerial career, experience of managing in the Premier League, his current contract is up next year and he has a chance to go back to managing in Europe once more. His brother's love for the club doesn't harm his chances, and he is notorious for signing value-for-money players, encouraging youth and an attacking style of play.

Ticks all the boxes and I'd rather the board go for that level of candidate and get knocked back than simply sitting back waiting for applications before pipping for Derek McInnes (who would improve us all the same, though isn't the best available out there). Unfortunately right now I can only see the latter happening.

I don’t actually see him as the answer. Never struck me as a guy who could get a team to roll up their sleeves and battle for a victory.

He likes the money as well.

no body knows if mclnnes would improve rangers people are only guessing he will. the board are between a rock and a hard place right now. get it wrong again and they will lose a lot of support from the fans.

Another managerial appointment of someone languishing in Qatar?

Murty is not the answer!! Christ do people not remember last season, We were murder under him other than a draw at the piggery. Now this time he’s had two games against two of the worst teams in the league and people think he’s Pep Guardiola.

We are one bad result away from this going really badly and people turning on the board.

Last edited:
Just stick with Murty and hope his side doesn't drop points are what they are thinking.

Why replace him just now when he looks the best option?

Lets face it, there is no-one out there who could do any better than what Murty has done so far.

12 points from his next 4 games might just sway it in his favour
Let’s face it there are plenty who could. Hearts and Partick are poor. It says more about Pedro than Murty that we couldn’t beat them previously. What worries me is a mindset where Sean Dyche suddenly is quoted by the OP as something special.
We are where we are.
I still think it’ll be McInnes.

No outstanding candidate in my opinion but that’s a sign of the times. We have no, or very little money and play in Scotland.

The Rangers managers job is the ultimate challenge but money rules the roost, ruling out many a name.

It is what it is, I’m not expecting a mouth watering appointment. For me, a FdB, GvB, Preud’homme, Laudrup, Karanka... are not mouth watering - not what we require at this minute in time.

I want back to basics, win football matches - if ugly then so be it, progression, challenge for trophies...

Are he board waiting to get McInnes just before our double header against the sheep as it would give them no time to get in a replacement?

The names in your first paragraph are pie in the sky stuff. No one really expected those names in our current situation surely.

Murty is not the answer!! Christ do people not remember last season, We were murder under him other than a draw at the piggery. Now this time he’s had two games against two of the worst teams in the league and people think he’s Pep Guardiola.

We are one bad result away from this going really badly and people turning on the board.
I think you are being a bit harsh on Murty. I agree I don’t think he is the answer but he was put in a difficult position last season and this, neither of his own choosing, both times he was put in charge because the previous manager was struggling either with a crap team or one devoid of confidence and togetherness, I think he has done pretty well considering.

To answer the OP, I don’t think anyone with a grasp on reality actually expected Allerdyce or Dyche given the finances involved. As a support we are so split on the best way forward that the board were going to get it right from certain quarters no matter what they did.

Recently Celtic, Kilmarnock and Ross County (you could also argue Hibs too) have hired managers above expectation.

I appreciate it's not easy but we should not be hiring the mad, the failed and the incapable.

I remain hopeful that the delay will result in a positive, interesting appointment.

In answer to the question Yes we have been conditioned to a certain extent. On the Golf yesterday my good friend on here says he hopes something gets done soon.

What if we don't currently have anyone that looks suitable and the guys we are headhunting are saying no?

Should we just give it to the 'least rubbish' candidate just to give it to someone?

I think you are being a bit harsh on Murty. I agree I don’t think he is the answer but he was put in a difficult position last season and this, neither of his own choosing, both times he was put in charge because the previous manager was struggling either with a crap team or one devoid of confidence and togetherness, I think he has done pretty well considering.

To answer the OP, I don’t think anyone with a grasp on reality actually expected Allerdyce or Dyche given the finances involved. As a support we are so split on the best way forward that the board were going to get it right from certain quarters no matter what they did.

December is a big month for us, one which I feel Murty would struggle in. We need a manager in very soon to give us a lift for these games. I’m not having a dig at Murty, I appreciate all his hard work at tough times. I just dont believe it would be the fairytale that some on here think.

We still have plenty to play for.

The problem with another crap appointment is that it won't last and then we'll be funding yet another pay off in a few months, money that is lost to the club.

For all there appears to be a lack of football acumen, these guy's are successful businessmen who are picking up the tab for a lot of this at the moment. Another meh appointment does no-one any good. I'm starting to think the board are warming to the idea of giving Graeme Murty some time. If we wanted McInnes surely we would have him, Murty has a role at the club anyway so low risk financially.

Problem for the board is the flak would come their way if results go badly rather than at the caretaker manager.

Not appoint Pedro.

IF its a “no win situation” then thats their fault, they created it.

Spot on. I don't agree with the notion that board can't win. It was their decision and theirs alone to give Pedro a three year deal at £16k a week and give him £8m in fees so when that grand plan goes tits up inside of seven months then you cannot blame the support for their lack of faith that they will get this one right. Throw in the fact that they clearly lost faith in their previous appointment before him in little over a year and it does not look good at all for them.

That's all on them. Eff all to do with the support.

You're spot on. The debating has been done to death on here over the last few weeks and we are all just mentally drained now and want the board to hit us with it, so we can just get on with the rest of our season.

There isn't going to be any rabbit pulled out of any hat.

The fact people are apparently unsure about taking the job on because of budgets etc is just deflating and points to more struggles and mediocrity ahead with us being Celtic's bitches. Soul destroying.

Reactions: SDF
Spot on. I don't agree with the notion that board can't win. It was their decision and theirs alone to give Pedro a three year deal at £16k a week and give him £8m in fees so when that grand plan goes tits up inside of seven months then you cannot blame the support for their lack of faith that they will get this one right. Throw in the fact that they clearly lost faith in their previous appointment before him in little over a year and it does not look good at all for them.

That's all on them. Eff all to do with the support.

Yip - they created the mess so it's up to them to fix it.

I'd like to hear what our short, medium and long term strategy is as well and how we plan to meet these targets. When King and Co took over, next season was the season we were meant to win the league. It feels like we are as far away now as we were in the summer of 2016 when we got promoted. We are probably at least 18 months behind schedule.

Don't think we've been conditioned by anything other than circumstances. Go back to when John Greig got sacked and Jock Wallace was something of a "meh" appointment, after we had been lnked to Jim MacLean and Alex Ferguson, move on to Wallace's sacking and Souness appointment (which from memory were, pretty much the same day) and it's the complete opposite, a truly breathtaking moment in our history! Souness leaves for Liverpool, we could have virtually any manager on the planet and it's another "meh!" with the appointment of Walter. Advocaat comes in and it's all excitement again, McLeish "meh", then PLG it's all excitement because he's one of the most sought after managers in Europe. Since then the best we can hope for is "meh", so the likes opf McInnes can be seen as relatively possitive!

The point is though, our days of olur manager's job being one of the most sought after may have passed for now, but reaction to any appointment, excitement of disappointment, will be very short lived, it's what thge manage or fail to achieve that matters, as it has always been.

You're spot on. The debating has been done to death on here over the last few weeks and we are all just mentally drained now and want the board to hit us with it, so we can just get on with the rest of our season.

There isn't going to be any rabbit pulled out of any hat.

The fact people are apparently unsure about taking the job on because of budgets etc is just deflating and points to more struggles and mediocrity ahead with us being Celtic's bitches. Soul destroying.

Someone suggested a few days ago that the board will be bricking it in regards to this appointment because they basically cannot get this one wrong.

The calls for Murty genuinely astound me. He's a lovely bloke. He's pals with the players but that won't work long term and eventually the players will rip the piss out of him. We've seen this a million times before when assistants or youth coaches get the gig. It usually ends in tears. He is never a Rangers manager in his life right now.

If this board are conducting a search and have no suitable candidates as suggested then that says far more about them than it does about the candidates themselves.

Tuchel was caned on the European Football Show at the weekend. The description of his style sounded very familiar to another manager we had recently. Doesn't consider the opposition, plan B is do plan A better, attacking wide has 2 or 4 patterns of play that work initially but soon get figured out, constantly caught on the counter, 2 centre halfs exposed

yes you have it in one, dont be surprised if Murty is appointed, though I can safely state McIness will be manager at Ibrox on the 29th

I think the delay may be to do with funding. Any new manager coming in and being tasked with getting us back to the top of the league, winning cups and performing well in Europe will demand a hefty budget to assist in achieving that. It may be that funding will only become available after the AGM....which leaves us in a bit of limbo.

It could be that the new appointment won't happen until the end of the year, probably with the new manager taking the reins after the Celtic match, and with the transfer window available for one or two quality signings.

Murty will be left in charge until then, with the board hoping he can keep the team playing well enough to be sitting in second place.

Possibly...

Back