Have we ever had a player sign a pre-contract elsewhere

TwoUpFront

…but continue to play for us?
I can’t remember one. Wonder how our fans would react in that situation.

He did sign a pre-contract. I am pretty sure it was announced immediately after a game at Ibrox too.
Right. I knew it had pretty much all been agreed but wasn’t sure if a contract had actually been signed.

I was going to the see the vaccines when it was announced.

Was genuinely gutted :))
You could have just not went...

Only kidding, I think we were all conditioned to think any semblance of talent meant he had a future and Bates had moments. Then getting a move to Hamburg suggested it was right but it might have said more of the state of HSV than anything else.

But Brian Laudrup was first to come to mind for me. I can't remember exactly when it was announced but it seemed like it was known it was Chelsea for ages.

But Brian Laudrup was first to come to mind for me. I can't remember exactly when it was announced but it seemed like it was known it was Chelsea for ages.
Did we not reject £5m in the summer as well?

To be fair, if Murray had sold him as we were going for 10 then he would have been dragged out of Ibrox by the fans :))

Only kidding, I think we were all conditioned to think any semblance of talent meant he had a future and Bates had moments. Then getting a move to Hamburg suggested it was right but it might have said more of the state of HSV than anything else.

If I remember correctly he didn't have such a good final season with us

Brutal how low our expectations sank when the likes of Bates, McCrorie and Windass were rated back then.

Think Lovenkrands signed with Schalke while in the final part of his contract with us.
My memory may be failing but I think he was willing to sign a new deal but after Le Guen was announced he was asked about him and said something along lines of he wasn't bothered if he stayed or not.

To be fair, if Murray had sold him as we were going for 10 then he would have been dragged out of Ibrox by the fans :))
Ajax and £7m rings a bell to be honest. I'm sure he was persuaded to give one more year to get 10. Obviously didn't work out but as mentioned had we gone into selling top names in summer of 97 a lot of supporters would have questioned how much we wanted it. But he didn't look right most of season and only really discovered form at World Cup although I may be harsh to him.

I bought into the hype he performed really well for us under Murty and thought Gerrard could have made use of him ultimately we brought in much better though
Perfectly decent centre back. Don’t know why people talk as though he’s a bomb scare.

In hindsight, I wish he'd sold Laudrup.
He wasn't that bad in the final season and we'd have been a hell of a lot worse without him in the team.

Laudrup belonged and belongs in a Rangers strip. Maybe the five million could have been reinvested in a couple of players but I don't think it would have made a difference that Summer/year. It was an ageing squad of players who hadn't exactly lived the lives of modern athletes, the damage was done in the two to three years leading up to that point by being too sentimental and not replacing guys when the time was right. Its not like we were skint back then, not to the naked eye anyway.

Ajax wanted him and he wanted to go but we told him he was staying. No idea how much they were offering though.

Davie Robertson to Leeds 9iar season?
I still view this as one of the main reasons we didn't get 10IAR.
People go on about Gascoigne leaving and people underperforming, but not having an able replacement for Robertson all season was a massive issue for us.
Stensaas was murder, Cleland and Vidmar also played there, and I think for a long time we played Albertz there.
The defence just never seemed as solid that season without Robertson, who was tremendous for us.

Back