Have we ever let a young player that has ever really been one we have lived to regret?

The Charlie Telfer meltdown was absolutely wild!

It wasn't really at all TBH

Charle Telfer joined Dundee United in June of 2014, that came a couple of months after we had lost to f*cking Raith Rovers in a Ramsdens Cup Final with Ian Black playing in midfield and having having already lost to Forfar in the league Cup, I won't even mention the display against Dundee United in the Scottish Cup.

When Telfer left he said,

"I have watched how the younger players at United are allowed to develop in the first team," said midfielder Telfer, who had rejected a new deal at Ibrox.

"And that has been a big reason in my decision to join the club."

The seethe at that time was as much aimed at what the departure of Telfer represented and it was bang.fucking on,

People not p*ssed at were fundamentally saying, aye it is totally grand fannying about with Faure and Black in midfield, a stance that actually is absolutely wild.

The original post doesn't say anything about ability

"our club makes very few mistakes when we let players leave? Have many came back to really bite us in the arse after going into to bigger and better things?"

We let him go to salernitana for around a £1m I think then they sold him a year later to Milan for £7m. He then won everything possible to win.
I think we sold him for a lot more than a million.

In our history, there's very few examples of players going on to bigger and better things be it youth players or experienced pros. That still doesn't stop any meltdowns at the prospect of us selling any first team player and them being treated as irreplaceable. So it's not really surprising other departures follow the same hysterics.

However, we're at a stage of our history that's never really existed before in that we need to sell players on to be profitable.

It's a fine balancing act as we need to create a pathway for youth players to play or we could face losing the very best prospects in our youth academy in the manner of Gilmour and Rory Wilson a lot more often.

That’s one definitely but would keeping Gattuso have meant we wouldn’t have Barry Ferguson being the influence he was? Advocaat preferred Barry who It will be argued but in my opinion was a better player and had a far better temperament.

Rino certainly had a marvellous career

Gattuso was phenomenal, absolutely loved the guy, brilliant player. But, Barry was special!

Gattuso went on to be a brilliant player, a world class ball winning midfielder.

The issue was that our centre midfield at the time was Gio and Barry who were also both outstanding young players. Given we would dominate the ball in every game in Scotland, they were probably better suited for our style of play than Gattuso most of the time.

It was a shame we couldn’t hang onto Gattuso, but from memory he made it clear that unless he was playing central midfield he wanted a move.

The question is pointless and reductive. Which senior players went on to play at a better level after Rangers?

We were a bawhair away from letting Barry Ferguson go to Dundee United.

Celtic were a bawhair away from letting Callum McGregor sign for Carlisle.

There are so many variables and fine margins to a player making it or not.

IIRC he was essentially bought as a hateley replacement
i think it was assumed Hateley would be on the way down in his career, then after Dunc arrived he ramped up the form even more and was immense

partly bad timing for Dunc

Does a good manager play the up and coming 22 year old who could be a legend for a decade or continue to play the 31 year who is still slightly better than the young pretender?

Liverpool replacing Kevin Keegan at his peak with the young Kenny Dalglish was an outstanding piece of management.

Aye but that was another stick to beat McCoist which seemed the route most posters wanted to follow at the time.
I love super Ally mate , nothing can tarnish him in my eyes , but he got that wrong , won the league with 8 games left , let’s see how telfer does with a proper run.

All the youth players are signed because they are exceptional talents , it’s basically whether their temperaments can cope with the demands of professional football.

Does a good manager play the up and coming 22 year old who could be a legend for a decade or continue to play the 31 year who is still slightly better than the young pretender?

Liverpool replacing Kevin Keegan at his peak with the young Kenny Dalglish was an outstanding piece of management.
I’ve not read the whole thread mate , but are you saying Hately was slightly better than Duncan Ferguson ?

If yes , then you’re totally wrong, it’d be like saying Morelos is slightly better than Itten.

I think we let Chris Burke go too early.

And the money we got for Charlie Adam was shocking - was good for a goal in Europe.

Truly in terms of young players, there's not one that we've released that I can look back on now and say "We missed a trick there"

To be fair though.
English sides cherry picked from up here at will and everybody could see Dalglish was a bit special.
You didn’t need to be a Bob Paisley to see Dalglish would do you a turn.

I remember this guy.
Not by name but as an Icelandic kid we had in the early seventies.
He cropped up when we were looking at Sigi Johnson around ten years later.
A piece I did on him a few years ago

That’s one definitely but would keeping Gattuso have meant we wouldn’t have Barry Ferguson being the influence he was? Advocaat preferred Barry who It will be argued but in my opinion was a better player and had a far better temperament.

Rino certainly had a marvellous career
There is no argument here.
Two entirely different styles of centre midfielders.
Ferguson was a much better footballer than Gattuso but wouldn’t have been in the top ten, twenty maybe, of that style in the Serie A.
Gattuso, on the other hand was in the top half dozen of his type in the world.

A piece I did on him a few years ago

That’s a great commendation for this lad by the Iceland FA.
I don’t know why he missed out on a deal with us but, those reading your piece will surely now understand that you can’t seriously judge a player in a month.
Or the ten minutes it sometimes takes on FF!

No not really. Follow follow has been full of meltdowns of young players leaving and none have came back to bite us. Charlie Telfer or Reece McCabe for example.

As someone pointed out on another thread. Robbie mccrorie played himself out of being Livingston number one last time he was on loan.

Is he even better than say Liam Kelly?
Reece coaches my wee boys training now.player manager at Airdrie he is.

We did, it was nearly £4m which at the time was a great deal for a player who was not in our first 11.
He went on to have a great career but at the time there was very little complaints about the deal.
He wouldn’t have survived Scottish football.
Not with our referees.

You have to be exceptional to break into the Rangers team and better again to stay there. Lowery will be the next to get into the first team regularly then leave on big money.

Goalkeepers are a bit more restricted as they only play that one position and you can only have one keeper on the pitch. Sentiment doesn’t come into it sadly and I know the McCrorie grew up a fan and has been at the club since he was wee but if he isn’t as good as McGregor or McLaughlin he doesn’t get a look in. He would be much better going elsewhere and trying to prove himself as a player. Maybe if he does Rangers can buy him again in the future.

Opens up a bigger debate for me on whether the money a club spends on youth development would be better saved and used in transfer fees. In the old days it was smaller clubs who were the breeding grounds then a bigger team would buy the best and they would maybe move again to an even bigger team. It was that which kept the money moving round clubs.
They make money on youth football quite a bit to be fair is also longer term

Sfa and uefa fund payments depend on academy rating and trained hours that's all before that even from very young age they have fees between clubs for trading years as long as we offer a contract.

That's before any development fees we have for players that we get a percentage of any transfer fees that they have in diet up to a certain age I think

Massive money in youth football is why all the clubs keep their youth business seperate from clubs

They make money on youth football quite a bit to be fair is also longer term

Sfa and uefa fund payments depend on academy rating and trained hours that's all before that even from very young age they have fees between clubs for trading years as long as we offer a contract.

That's before any development fees we have for players that we get a percentage of any transfer fees that they have in diet up to a certain age I think

Massive money in youth football is why all the clubs keep their youth business seperate from clubs
FFS, don’t say that!

How many academy players have moved on consistent sporting levels above and beyond us?

Billy G appeared to have done when Chelsea were decimated with injury and he was featuring regularly. The same can’t be safe d now. Although time will tell if he could get back on track.

I can’t think of any others.

Infact spin it this way…. How many academy players have we let go where a few years down the line we’ve thought “FFS, that one that got away - how did we let that happen”

I can’t think of any either.

Away from academy players…. Who was the last player to leave us and go onto bigger and better things in a sporting perspective. I think the last person was Gio. Maybe Gattusso before him. Not many others - ever. Players might move on for greater riches but hardly any ever move on to bigger better sporting levels (medals, trophies, cups, caps etc)

We didn’t have much option but Arteta would sold for less than we should have due to homesickness less than a year later he was in the EPL

No not really. Follow follow has been full of meltdowns of young players leaving and none have came back to bite us. Charlie Telfer or Reece McCabe for example.

As someone pointed out on another thread. Robbie mccrorie played himself out of being Livingston number one last time he was on loan.

Is he even better than say Liam Kelly?

I don't think the issue is necessarily that we've let McCrorie go...it's that we've extended* a 40 year old's contract who had a shocker of a season and in turn, a younger player has decided (supposedly) to leave.

Basically short term thinking from the club as per.

Last edited:
I think it is nigh on impossible to asses the generation during the McCoist era TBH.

They were all dismissed as sh*te, p*sh and crap where as in reality, it was the coaching and standards that were sh*te, p*sh and crap.

At some stage Rangers are taking a talented football player from a youth system somewhere in the country, and doing so for a reason.

Either our talent identification or ability to coach up has been poor, and that era utterly highlighted that - McCoists "youth policy" was f*cking repulsive.

In more general terms, we just have rarely squad filled well with young players IMO.
Have to disagree with you on this one I'm afraid. To call our youth policy fucking repulsive us ridiculous

We didn't just lose our first team when we went to div 3, we lost our next batch of up and coming talents

We were left with the age group below that who were thrown in at the deep end of which at the time macleod, Aird and Mackay did well so does McCoist get credit for that?

Contrary to the myth that we never gave youth a chance, We also played a lot of young players who simply just never cut the mustard - Hegarty, Cole, Perry, Crawford, murdoch, Walsh, Hutton to name a few

The likes of naismith and Cole had poor attitudes

The rest simply weren't ready for 1st team football at all

It is incredibly naive of you to expect coaching to transform every young player into a star, some will progress and others wont but a lot were given the opportunity

I don't think the issue is necessarily that we've let McCrorie go...it's that we've extended* a 40 year old's contract who had a shocker of a season and in turn, a younger player has decided (supposedly) to leave.

Basically short term thinking from the club as per.
A shocker of a season is certainly pushing it.

There were plenty of times he had big performances, especially in Europe.

Have to disagree with you on this one I'm afraid. To call our youth policy fucking repulsive us ridiculous

We didn't just lose our first team when we went to div 3, we lost our next batch of up and coming talents

We were left with the age group below that who were thrown in at the deep end of which at the time macleod, Aird and Mackay did well so does McCoist get credit for that?

Contrary to the myth that we never gave youth a chance, We also played a lot of young players who simply just never cut the mustard - Hegarty, Cole, Perry, Crawford, murdoch, Walsh, Hutton to name a few

The likes of naismith and Cole had poor attitudes

The rest simply weren't ready for 1st team football at all

It is incredibly naive of you to expect coaching to transform every young player into a star, some will progress and others wont but a lot were given the opportunity

What I said, was McCoists "youth policy" was f*cking repulsive, the key word in that is McCoist.

The likes of Naismith and Cole had poor attitudes, the f*cking manager had a poor attitude!

McCoist "played" young players, he chucked them in, swung them about a bit, but there was f*ck all coaching going on, he hardly "coached" the first team, some of the kids he "played" were given random out of nowhere no logic appearances.

He bombed out the likes of Little and McKay despite them playing well as quickly as he could.

The reason some of those mentioned didn't "cut the mustard" was massively in part thanks to the complete reckless abandon with which McCoist guided their careers TBH.

Lets not get as fit as we can, lets get fitter than part time sides
Lets not work on tactics, lets play darts
Lets not question players standards and ethics, lets play Ian Black

That is every bit a f*cking repulsive environment TBH

A "coach" like McCall would have worked a decent clutch of players throw the ranks with him and took them to the table by the time we were promoted, would they have been world beaters, no, would they have had to be? No, they would have had to have been competent slightly talented players to manage the wants and demands being asked of them.

Two examples, Andy Little and Barrie McKay would have offered way, way way way way way way way way more than Jon Daly and Kris Boyd were by the they signed, but McCoist had to take the easy option and he generally did it every.single.time - and Jon Daly was a "successful" signing

These things were all haunting enough at the time, but the H and H McCoist years utterly floods it all back, the idea he couldn't have done more for a lot of these players is complete garbage, however "poor" most of them were is an absolute shining example of his "coaching"

Last edited:
A shocker of a season is certainly pushing it.

There were plenty of times he had big performances, especially in Europe.

Call it whatever you want, but he's not good enough any longer and we should've been thanking him for his service and either installing McCrorie as number 2 or looking to buy elsewhere.

The mistake was signing Ferguson when we did.
An outstanding player but not one who was needed, at that time.
Maybe the first of Murray’s “nobody says no to me signings”.
Although, his signing took Hateley‘s game up a level.
Big Dunc would never have been allowed to play for Rangers.
He had a target on his back from day one.
The sort of target that is unique to Scotland in regard to playing for Rangers.
He was better off going down south.

Aye but that was another stick to beat McCoist which seemed the route most posters wanted to follow at the time.
Let’s be honest, we didn’t need to search out obscure reasons to criticise McCoist’s disastrous management.

Can remember when Ross McCormack was tearing up the Championship for a few seasons I regretted letting him go.

Charlie Adam to an extent too.

What I said, was McCoists "youth policy" was f*cking repulsive, the key word in that is McCoist.

The likes of Naismith and Cole had poor attitudes, the f*cking manager had a poor attitude!

McCoist "played" young players, he chucked them in, swung them about a bit, but there was f*ck all coaching going on, he hardly "coached" the first team, some of the kids he "played" were given random out of nowhere no logic appearances.

He bombed out the likes of Little and McKay despite them playing well as quickly as he could.

The reason some of those mentioned didn't "cut the mustard" was massively in part thanks to the complete reckless abandon with which McCoist guided their careers TBH.

Lets not get as fit as we can, lets get fitter than part time sides
Lets not work on tactics, lets play darts
Lets not question players standards and ethics, lets play Ian Black

That is every bit a f*cking repulsive environment TBH

A "coach" like McCall would have worked a decent clutch of players throw the ranks with him and took them to the table by the time we were promoted, would they have been world beaters, no, would they have had to be? No, they would have had to have been competent slightly talented players to manage the wants and demands being asked of them.

Two examples, Andy Little and Barrie McKay would have offered way, way way way way way way way way more than Jon Daly and Kris Boyd were by the they signed, but McCoist had to take the easy option and he generally did it every.single.time - and Jon Daly was a "successful" signing

These things were all haunting enough at the time, but the H and H McCoist years utterly floods it all back, the idea he couldn't have done more for a lot of these players is complete garbage, however "poor" most of them were is an absolute shining example of his "coaching"
We have plenty of examples in football over the years of player released at young age and then established themselves as professional players or even playing as amateurs and becoming professionals without never having any proper coaching.
To blame McCoist for wasting careers is laughable as none of the youngsters of 2013 has done anything that is remotely enough to prove that let them go was the wrong decision.
Telfer went to Dundee Utd and did absolutely nothing in what was probably a more professional set up in your view.

Let’s be honest, we didn’t need to search out obscure reasons to criticise McCoist’s disastrous management.
This is a completely different thing. We’re talking about McCoist wasting potential of young players, which was never there in the first place.

Keegan said he wanted to go and play abroad

This is a completely different thing. We’re talking about McCoist wasting potential of young players, which was never there in the first place.
Wasting potential of young players is a completely different thing to being a poor manager?

Ok.

Back