Have we ever played Aston Villa?

A quote from a local rag at the time.

Some well-behaved fans went ahead of the mob and pleaded with city centre shopkeepers “please close your shops, they are behaving like animals”

lol, I was there with a few pals, mates Dad took us, I was 13 at the time. Cars especially "Ford Anglians" did not travel that fast in the 70's.:p

Last edited:
I'm 27 and I know, auld yin.:))

My old man and uncle were there and Old Trafford a couple of years earlier.

Both very quiet, respectful affairs. :p

Manchester 74 was great as well. We got a taxi after drinking in the Piccadilly part of the city and the taxi driver was dropping us off at the United stretford end.

Some of their mob were tooled up so we said to the driver tae get us round to the paddock tuit sweet and the day went well as we won 3-2.

Here's the programme. One of the more infamous "friendlies" we have played. I remember seeing a link to a news report on here a couple of years ago where the local house owners were raging!!

What about games v Everton? Not interested in those, twice played then for the British championship

Played them at Goodison in a testimonial for a Everton player can’t remember his name . Asked a cop outside the ground what the biggest away support was 3k His answer Liverpool and Manchester United well you better get ready there’s 12k of us down here.Sure it was a bit naughty that day/night.

I'm 31 and I know all about it.

It's fairly infamous.

A mentally challenged once told me the Rangers support were called "huns" by the birmingham press, hence where that came from. I have no idea if that's true or not.

The Tim’s were called the huns long before we were. Possibly around that time it changed to us. We missed our chance to change it back when the German Pope was installed.

I was 15 and was told I couldn't go as I was in the junior club and had to be accompanied by an adult. My mate who had just turned 16, and had just become an adult member of the supporters club said he would look after me. Off to Birmingham we went for a lively 24 hours.

Played them at Goodison in a testimonial for a Everton player can’t remember his name . Asked a cop outside the ground what the biggest away support was 3k His answer Liverpool and Manchester United well you better get ready there’s 12k of us down here.Sure it was a bit naughty that day/night.
It was Dave Watson and yes it was a bit naughty.

Our bus went to the rangers club in Corby after the game, absolutely mental day, Dancing queen was No1 in the charts

"Alfred Eggington, division superintendent in charge of the St John Ambulance first aid unit: “I have never seen anything like it in over 30 years of nursing. I was on duty for the Bay City Rollers concert and it was nothing compared to this.”

:D

If you think villa was bad you should’ve seen Newcastle in 69 never seen anything like it since including Manchester final

I am in my 60's and can tell you that that particular term of abuse towards us originated many years before we played Villa in that friendly.

I’m a good bit younger and know that The Huns are and were Celtic .. go home you huns

That should be resurrected alongside my long-time favourite tune

The orange lily o

I didn’t know either. I know virtually nothing about Rangers pre-Souness.
The good thing is that you're posting on a forum with folk who have long memories. My own go back to the 60s, my (late) auld man to the 40s and my (late) grandad to before the Great War.

So if posters talk about Alan Morton or The Deedle we auld yins would have heard our fathers/grandfathers talk about them.

Well this thread escalated quickly!!

I had no idea about any of this either. Every day’s a school day.

We just walked into it. Mental day. Like Viking hordes. They closed the beer huts and the Bears just broke them open.

Correct. We were there before the turnstiles were open.
When they opened everyone piled into the Holte End.
Villa fans turned up much later and after being taunted
decided the opposite end would be a better option :D

I am in my 60's and can tell you that that particular term of abuse towards us originated many years before we played Villa in that friendly.
You sure about that Jimbear? When I was growing up 60s & 70s we called them huns e.g. ‘If I had a Tommy gun I’d shoot every 19th Century Terrorist hun...’ Or when it poured at Hamden ‘The huns are getting wet’.

I was brought up in the Calton and can assure you that the term was applied to us by them away back in the early part of the 60's. Regarding the use of the term 'huns' in a song, the first time I ever heard it was in the 1966 cup final replay from them to us in the "Go home" song. That was well before the Hampden cover at our end was built.

I was brought up in the Calton and can assure you that the term was applied to us by them away back in the early part of the 60's. Regarding the use of the term 'huns' in a song, the first time I ever heard it was in the 1966 cup final replay from them to us in the "Go home" song. That was well before the Hampden cover at our end was built.
Didn’t know that.

It must have changed by the end of the 60's.

They were called huns in a few songs by us. Go home ya huns, if I had a tommy gun, the huns are getting wet.

I never heard them calling us huns at all in the 70's, its strange how the term has changed hands over time.

As for Villa, I was in the Holte end, mental times.

Was there suited and booted, looking forward to a good night out only to be chased by the police all the way up the motorway until over the fckn border!

Back