Have we ever used our away or third top at home?

Home teams wearing a change kit was the norm up until the 1980s. We still did it with Dundee regularly, including last season at Dens.

I remember us wearing away strips against Hearts (last game of 2003/04) and Lyon (2007).

I'm sure I remember us wearing a white kit against Dundee at home in mid 00s. Presumably their kit man messed up.

I'm sure I remember us wearing a white kit against Dundee at home in mid 00s. Presumably their kit man messed up.

came on to post this. They actually turned up in a pale blue away kit if I remember right

The half red, half white shirt against Anorthosis Famagusta in August 1995.

Against Dundee twice in 2002/03 (orange in August 2002 and white in January 2003) and in 2004/05 (white in December 2004).

Hearts in May 2004.

Lyon in December 2007.

They're the ones that immediately spring to mind.

Last competitive game we wore an away kit at home was against Lyon in 2007 I think.

Was the done thing in European games for many years that the home team would change. Don't think it was a formal obligation though?

The other times we have changed at home have just been in friendlies for marketing reasons.

Bordeaux in 1988
Lyngby in 1992
Sampdoria in 1994
Dundee in 2002
Spurs in 2004

When Lyon pumped us we had our away kit on and we played with the home kit over there.
Wore white v Brugge at Ibrox I'm sure.
For a few years (can't remember the exact period), the European rules were that in the event of a colour clash the home team would wear their 'away' kit. Bruges played in their away kit when we drew with them over there. Same story with Lyon.

We also played in our rarely seen lilac third kit at Ibrox against Sampdoria pre-season 1994.

Last edited:
Last competitive game we wore an away kit at home was against Lyon in 2007 I think.

Was the done thing in European games for many years that the home team would change. Don't think it was a formal obligation though?

The other times we have changed at home have just been in friendlies for marketing reasons.

we wore our away top at home as there was a mix up with Lyon which meant we wore our home kit over there so we agreed to let them wear their champions league kit at Ibrox.

The home team changed for all games until about the early 80s.
Prior to that the only game I remember us changing, when it wasn't necessary, was a cup replay v Sheep about 1975. The reason was because fog was forecast.

Remember the european qualifier v Anorthosis back in 95 we wore out red and white squares away shirt.

Home teams wearing a change kit was the norm up until the 1980s. We still did it with Dundee regularly, including last season at Dens.

I remember us wearing away strips against Hearts (last game of 2003/04) and Lyon (2007).
Yeah it was the home side that changed strips. We also played in the away top in Coopers testimonial

When I started going in the early 70s it was always the case that the home team wore their second strip if colours clashed.

Dont remember when this changed though.

I can remember us wearing the purple strip in the 90s against Sampdoria in the Ibrox tournament

I thi
For a few years (can't remember the exact period), the European rules were that in the event of a colour clash the home team would wear their 'away' kit. Bruges played in their away kit when we drew with them over there. Same story with Lyon.

We also played in our rarely seen lilac third kit at Ibrox against Sampdoria pre-season 1994.
I think it was always like that in the old days. I am sure we played many games at home in the blue and white vertical stripes. I may be wrong.

I remember us playing in our away kit for a few home games. A bit ot but Im sure I remember playing Hibs (I think) at Ibrox in the 90's and Im sure they wore our away strip cos they forgot to pack their kit. Anyone alse remember this or am I going a bit mad?

I remember us wearing the purple strip against Motherwell at home around 1993 or 1994. Anyone else remember this or has old timer’s finally set in?

I remember us wearing the purple strip against Motherwell at home around 1993 or 1994. Anyone else remember this or has old timer’s finally set in?

we wore it away to Motherwell in 94 and lost, if memory serves that was the only competitive game it was worn in.

I thi

I think it was always like that in the old days. I am sure we played many games at home in the blue and white vertical stripes. I may be wrong.
Yeah you’re right Dave. We almost always wore the blue and white striped change strip at home during the 60’s. I remember well watching “Bud” Johnston getting sent off in a home win (6-2) V St. Johnstone 1968, wearing the stripes.
The last game I can remember being at when we wore that kit, was in a LC Semi-Final win over Cowdenbeath at Hamden in 1970. Both teams had to change from their usual blue shirts, and Cowdenbeath’s normal change was red. So they wore red, and we wore the stripes. ( We won 2-0 ).

Back