Have we gone "full circle"

Kilpatricknick

From the heady days of the noughties and before??? For me...not quite. The one thing I still crave is sitting in the CR on a Tuesday or Wednesday night and hearing the Champions League music over the tannoy as the Rangers emerge resplendent in all blue. At THAT moment i'll be in fuuckng floods of tears because to me, that is when the circle is complete....and not before. Thoughts......

Last edited:
I always find it funny when people talk about they'll know we're back where we belong when they hear the Champions League music at Ibrox. I find it funny because the last couple of times we were in the Champions League (under Walter) we were lucky to get 40k attendances.

I always find it funny when people talk about they'll know we're back where we belong when they hear the Champions League music at Ibrox. I find it funny because the last couple of times we were in the Champions League (under Walter) we were lucky to get 40k attendances.
A lot of us took success for granted imo. I said to my missus I’ll probably cry listening to it in Ibrox again. And seeing the work we’ve put into winning this title over the past 6 years, I won’t take them for granted again in my lifetime.

A lot of us took success for granted imo. I said to my missus I’ll probably cry listening to it in Ibrox again. And seeing the work we’ve put into winning this title over the past 6 years, I won’t take them for granted again in my lifetime.

I've said (controversially) over the past couple of years that what we've been through over the past 10 years has actually been a good thing for our club.

As horrible as it's been and as much hell as we've been through, it's made our support realise just how much our club means to us and we all realise just how close we came to losing it.

If you look back to highlights of Walters 3 in a row team, we were lucky to get 40k in the stadium for league games. It wasn't uncommon for pretty much the entire Broomloan to be empty at times. Now though? It's almost impossible to get a ticket for a match at Ibrox.

I've said (controversially) over the past couple of years that what we've been through over the past 10 years has actually been a good thing for our club.

As horrible as it's been and as much hell as we've been through, it's made our support realise just how much our club means to us and we all realise just how close we came to losing it.

If you look back to highlights of Walters 3 in a row team, we were lucky to get 40k in the stadium for league games. It wasn't uncommon for pretty much the entire Broomloan to be empty at times. Now though? It's almost impossible to get a ticket for a match at Ibrox.
I agree it might be good in the long run for many things.
I wouldn’t want to go through it again and wish we could’ve modernised without it happening but it gave us the blank canvas to build for the future without any pushback from people stuck in their ways. Something that I think will make it more difficult for the poets to do what we’ve done. Although Liewell going will allow new ideas, they’ll need to do it while still having the huge pressure to win the league against a strong Rangers.

If it doesnt work and we win the league next season, their new structure will be chased or they’ll have dwindling income. I think that’s why they want Kennedy as manager. He’ll be seen as semi expendable compared to a big name on big money on a long contract. They might also see player recruitment being slightly less risky if they have somebody who knows the league and type of players required. Their new structure won’t be getting 3 seasons to get it right.

I agree it might be good in the long run for many things.
I wouldn’t want to go through it again and wish we could’ve modernised without it happening but it gave us the blank canvas to build for the future without any pushback from people stuck in their ways. Something that I think will make it more difficult for the poets to do what we’ve done. Although Liewell going will allow new ideas, they’ll need to do it while still having the huge pressure to win the league against a strong Rangers.

If it doesnt work and we win the league next season, their new structure will be chased or they’ll have dwindling income. I think that’s why they want Kennedy as manager. He’ll be seen as semi expendable compared to a big name on big money on a long contract. They might also see player recruitment being slightly less risky if they have somebody who knows the league and type of players required. Their new structure won’t be getting 3 seasons to get it right.

I would certainly never want to go through it again.

Lawwell was arguably the best thing to happen to them. He's given them the most consistent success they've ever had. Anyone replacing him will never do as good a job.

No way they appoint Kennedy IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if they went a bit left field (like we did with Pedro) but there's no way they appoint Kennedy.

I would certainly never want to go through it again.

Lawwell was arguably the best thing to happen to them. He's given them the most consistent success they've ever had. Anyone replacing him will never do as good a job.

No way they appoint Kennedy IMO. I wouldn't be surprised if they went a bit left field (like we did with Pedro) but there's no way they appoint Kennedy.
Your predictive text has changed “John Reid and his political and financial cohorts” into Lawwell

For me, being back is all about winning the league as that cements us as having come from the bottom to the top.

The Champions League is really all about the extra finances that will allow us to continue to improve our status as the best side in the country.

Getting into the CL would certainly be full circle in terms.of closing any remaining financial gap, and possibly reversing it (without knowing if this years EL success, business interruption insurance on the back of a covid revenue hit to both clubs has already done this).

But we still face the luck of the qualifying draw, and the unknown of departures or injuries between now and then. And it in no way tarnishes what's been achieved thus far if we don't make it at the first time of asking.

Wearing our traditional colours for me. I don't know where the fondness for an all blue strip comes from, it doesn't signify Rangers, we look like just any other team wearing that ensemble.

Blue jersey, white shorts, black socks with red tops...... that's Rangers!

For me, being back is all about winning the league as that cements us as having come from the bottom to the top.

The Champions League is really all about the extra finances that will allow us to continue to improve our status as the best side in the country.
Remember when BBC etc had us as The Rangers in the bottom div so they could show us as the bottom club in the country.

petty at the time but now we have the last laugh

Judging by our Europa league sales, I'm going out on a limb that selling issues won't be an issue again for a decade at least if ever again.

Taking success for granted is something most of us will not be doing again any time soon!

Judging by our Europa league sales, I'm going out on a limb that selling issues won't be an issue again for a decade at least if ever again.

Taking success for granted is something most of us will not be doing again any time soon!

I agree with you.

I just find it funny when people talk about the Champions League as the pinnacle yet the last 2/3 times we were there we had 10k empty seats in the stadium.

Watching Unirea put the 4th past us in a half empty Ibrox was when I realised that we were only in Europe for the money. Now though? I think we could overperform and be a force even in the Champions League.

I agree with you.

I just find it funny when people talk about the Champions League as the pinnacle yet the last 2/3 times we were there we had 10k empty seats in the stadium.

Watching Unirea put the 4th past us in a half empty Ibrox was when I realised that we were only in Europe for the money. Now though? I think we could overperform and be a force even in the Champions League.
I mean, I extremely rarely get to games (especially midweek evening) due to family and geographical issues. But even hearing it on the telly (sound cranked up of course) always got the hairs on end. It will feel glorious, but as to our 'completed journey'? 55 seals it frankly. With winning leagues the champions league will come again (the coefficient rising for the next 2 years again should make that an automatic formality). The massive doubt in out head was when?/whether we would be champions again. And the boys have answered us in some style!

I mean, I extremely rarely get to games (especially midweek evening) due to family and geographical issues. But even hearing it on the telly (sound cranked up of course) always got the hairs on end. It will feel glorious, but as to our 'completed journey'? 55 seals it frankly. With winning leagues the champions league will come again (the coefficient rising for the next 2 years again should make that an automatic formality). The massive doubt in out head was when?/whether we would be champions again. And the boys have answered us in some style!

Winning the league completed the "journey". The Champions League (if we qualify) is just a bonus.

It will be great to be competing in the group stages of the Champions League again for the prestige and finance but being the top dogs in Scotland is what makes us happiest.

From the heady days of the noughties and before??? For me...not quite. The one thing I still crave is sitting in the CR on a Tuesday or Wednesday night and hearing the Champions League music over the tannoy as the Rangers emerge resplendent in all blue. At THAT moment i'll be in fuuckng floods of tears because to me, that is when the circle is complete....and not before. Discuss........
Hate that.Discuss...like an middle class teacher talking to 2nd year history class.

Winning domestically is our bread and butter and hopefully winning the first 1 under SG will lead to many more but there are absolutely no guarantees that this will be the case. Build on our success and hopefully we have a dynasty in place

As for the CL financially it’s fantastic for the the club and the players and for us the fans to get to Ibrox under the lights to play against Europe’s elite

Back