Have we outgrown Scottish football. ?

Hope tae %^*& before I die to see Rangers in a different league where they are respected.

Utterly despise at the thought that Rangers help keep these shitty clubs in business for their shitty fans to obsess about us.

Scottish football can improve fine. Will they ever challenge us, no. But can a team like Hearts find themselves consistently in group stage European football with the chance to grow? Absolutely. Can we as a national game improve the set up and make for a better fan experience. Why not.

I think we outgrow Scottish football when we stop caring about it. I 100% get the desire to just leave but I would rather we lead the game up here. It's not a short term thing, it'll be a generation of work but we're THE Scottish team as far as I'm concerned and this is where we belong.

The best thing to happen in our league would be some loaded person buying hearts and spending the £10-15m it would take to make them contenders. The league is so boring as it stands, I’d massively welcome a third or fourth team that could put up a challenge
That's exactly what Vladimir Romanov did ! They built a decent team and won a cup or two. When it all hit the fan I think they had some £25m of debt - relatively far far more than us. I still don't fully understand how most of it went away. Russian bank(s) took big write offs.

Swear a thread like this pops up every 2 weeks. If we have outgrown it why haven’t we won the league this year.
Remember that episode of The Simpsons when Homer steps into another dimension and he comes out the other side as a 3D or Computer Generated version of himself? That's what this thread reminds me of. Either that or Beadle's About.

The amount of punters on here since Leipzig who think we are Eurocrats now is gobsmacking.

We should all be proud of our run, we would run out of superlatives in trying to keep describing it. But we lost. Oh, and anyway, the backflashes of how we lost to Malmo should be enough to convince anyone that we still have a long way to go.

We also have to remember, we'll go into our CL qualifiers and it's anyone's guess as to what or who the personnel will be.

We'll be starting from square one, once again.

Last edited:
When you think back to when we had our problems and the vultures were circling above us none of us could have thought we would be in ANOTHER EUROPEAN FINAL in under 10 years.
Some of our football in Europe has been outstanding as have a lot of our results.
We’ve achieved a lot since we took the drop ( to benefit one club ) and have made our mark across Europe with praise being heaped on us for our performances.
For Frankfurt to take out a full page ad in a Scottish newspaper to praise us for everything was a remarkable gesture.
The mayor of Seville also weighed in with his praise for us while calling out the scum at the same time.
We can only get better and I’m confident we will.
WATP.

Rangers and Celtic have outgrown Scottish Football long a go. We are just too big compared to the other teams, our fanbase and wealth means its very unlikely anyone else is going to compete unless they are one time produce at least 7 top class players from their youth academy to remain consistent and stay injury free to compete and that just isn't going to happen because the best youth players are at us or them OR they have left to go to England.

Scottish has only been getting media attention recently because of our run in Europe and us have Gerrard as a boss. Other than that Scottish Football would be forgotten about. 16 years of Celtic not winning a knockout round and other teams getting pumped in the qualifiers every year.

Our spectacular runs in Europe over the last few years has not only highlighted but amplified the difference in us and the rest of Scottish football. We look like a fish out of water after European ties and thrown back into the grind of hammer-throwing opponents and brutal thuggery on the pitch, which is waived away as " normal " by Scottish refs and other officials. We look and play like a European side, and not a Scottish football team.

We’ve won 2 domestic trophies in 5 years since returning to the premiership.

No we haven’t outgrown Scottish football.

I think we need to start win titles before we start this kind of talk.

We haven't found a way to couple our form in Europe with domestic dominance.

Until that happens this is a bit daft.

Other leagues have outgrown the Scottish leagues.. we haven't outgrown Scottish football.

Tbh I don’t like saying it but I’m really struggling to find any redeeming features of the game in Scotland now. Out with 2 or 3 teams there is no ambition to invest or improve and the game is administered by a load of incompetent, self serving arseholes. The product on the lurch is awful and You could see during some of our games this season (eg Motherwell at home) that the players and fans were bored stiff.

I really fear the game up heee.is headed for a irreversible decline unless radical changes to the set up / aattitude of those in change are made.

I think we best just accept it as is, huge fish, small pond.

These fantasies of EPL, Scandinavian leagues etc are just that
One day it will happen. I’m sure if it. Based on the current trajectory of where UEFA are taking football it will happen

Yes, we almost need to have two teams, one to play football in the Euro comps and another team of battlers for Scotland.
I want us to practically withdraw from the League Cup. To the point of entering in the group stages and playing the whole thing with the B team. If they won't let us use league 2 to develop players then can't see why we can't piggyback the league cup for this. I'd still anticipate the young team going quite far in it. Even Scottish Cup I'm happy to see less and less priority of. All eggs in the basket of the league, Europe and youth. And if a more international league should arise be prepared to commit to it.

Remember that episode of The Simpsons when Homer steps into another dimension and he comes out the other side as a 3D or Computer Generated version of himself? That's what this thread reminds me of. Either that or Beadle's About.

The amount of punters on here since Leipzig who think we are Eurocrats now is gobsmacking.

We should all be proud of our run, we would run out of superlatives in trying to keep describing it. But we lost. Oh, and anyway, the backflashes of how we lost to Malmo should be enough to convince anyone that we still have a long way to go.

We also have to remember, we'll go into our CL qualifiers and it's anyone's guess as to what or who the personnel will be.

We'll be starting from square one, once again.
I don't think anyone is claiming we are Eurocrats. It's simply that people have aspirations. There's a need to believe and more importantly a desire to have a road map in place. If it works for clubs such as Ajax, Porto and Feyenoord then it can certainly work for us. It's a question of looking outwards away from the parochial. Scottish trebles mean nothing now after the devaluation of them caused by that ludicrous quadruple treble claptrap.

I think the Scottish game has outgrown the current administration. It is easily the most undervalued league in Europe given the talent in the league.

We continually run it down, but the product isnt as turgid as people would believe.

When you look at comparative viewing figures vs TV deal, its shocking the moeny the league receives and the sponsorship that sits alongside it.

We have dinosaurs that sit and worry about a repeat of Setanta instead of progressively moving the game forward with a definite pyramid and two leagues of twenty.

Being part of the Scottish league set-up hampers us.

Being part of Scotland and all the parochial, small-minded hatred towards us from most other clubs fans, the administrators of the game, the media in general, the refs....hampers us even more.

That's why Europe was so refreshing. We got away from all that crap and look how we got on.

Rangers are playing in Scottish football but not part of it.
The SFA and the SPFL are run by people who hate us.
The press and MSM are often nothing short of hostile.
Rangers-friendly Scottish politicians are thin on the ground.

It is not a level playing field.
It is really a shame we cannot get out of it and into England.

Each year it does due to finance.

Think about this season Celtic lost 3 games , got players in that other Scottish clubs outside us cannot do then went on a run that won them the League.

Next season I expect us to strengthen and then go on a similar run. You get the feeling that you would be almost playing the 4 Old Firm games to decide the League. The gap will get bigger with the other sides.

That is why we are described as a Pub League.

The question is would you support a gate split as we used to have , was it 10% of our home games go to the other teams, to enable them to sign a better standard of player than they currently do.

Thus making the League better and hopefully better weekly entertainment.

Thoughts ?

I wouldn't say we've outgrown Scottish football since we're only back to the level we were at around 2008, maybe slightly better.
It could however be argued that the rest of Scottish football has regressed as the quality is utterly dire.

I don't think anyone is claiming we are Eurocrats. It's simply that people have aspirations. There's a need to believe and more importantly a desire to have a road map in place. If it works for clubs such as Ajax, Porto and Feyenoord then it can certainly work for us. It's a question of looking outwards away from the parochial. Scottish trebles mean nothing now after the devaluation of them caused by that ludicrous quadruple treble claptrap.
You're preaching to the converted when it comes to the concept of bringing through our own and seeing them reach the top. My question is why have we been waiting till now to realise this is the way to go?

I think the Scottish game has outgrown the current administration. It is easily the most undervalued league in Europe given the talent in the league.

We continually run it down, but the product isnt as turgid as people would believe.

When you look at comparative viewing figures vs TV deal, its shocking the moeny the league receives and the sponsorship that sits alongside it.

We have dinosaurs that sit and worry about a repeat of Setanta instead of progressively moving the game forward with a definite pyramid and two leagues of twenty.
2 leagues of 20? If you think that will improve our game, your kidding yourself.

We have 2 clubs who wouldn't be out of place in any league in the world, and others who wouldn't look out of place in the conference league.

It's just the way it is. Belgium has double our population, but they don't have 2 clubs near the size of us and them. TBH, I don't know the answer, but 2 leagues of 20 is fine if there's no old firm.

Another problem many would have, is getting used to not winning a load of trophies.

Yes we have . I actually dislike Scottish football apart from the Celtic games. The clamour for tickets from Rangers fans all week and then it comes on TV and you have thousands of empty seats with grandpas and kids sitting in a row each in the home end. Game starts and home team have one intention to get to 90 mins with minimum playing time. Home fans boo the Rangers star player, boo because he used to play for them or just boo for the sake of it.

Scottish football used to have decent teams like Hearts, Motherwell, Dundee , Kilmarnock now it is all these dafties just continually angry over nothing.

They could improve the Scottish game by simply capping the number of professional teams to 36 with two 18 team leagues.

2 fewer league games per year should offer a little support to European growth.

Yes. In fact we’re imprisoned by it, and have been for a while.

I’ve harped on about a North Sea league for a while now. Something like this where we can access largerTV revenue is the only way forward I can see.

Our spectacular runs in Europe over the last few years has not only highlighted but amplified the difference in us and the rest of Scottish football. We look like a fish out of water after European ties and thrown back into the grind of hammer-throwing opponents and brutal thuggery on the pitch, which is waived away as " normal " by Scottish refs and other officials. We look and play like a European side, and not a Scottish football team.
We need to be winning the title regularly and good Euro runs, so no for me.

Weve always been the biggest side in Scotland. We’ve also just won our first cup in 13 years. Let’s get to a place of domination before making silly statements.

They could improve the Scottish game by simply capping the number of professional teams to 36 with two 18 team leagues.

2 fewer league games per year should offer a little support to European growt
For me that’s the natural balance for Scotland, but greed gets it the way.

Not only would an 18 team league remove the repetitiveness it might also relieve the feat of relegation and encourage teams to start trying to play football.

Absolutely crazy thread title given we’ve won 1 title in 10 years.

Luckily we are dragging the reputation of Scottish football up the ladder, single handedly. Other clubs will feel the benefit of that, and in turn, so will we. I’m more than happy competing for a league ranked 7th/8th in Europe with 2 CL places. It needs to be maintained. If it is, the standard will continue to improve over time.

Each year it does due to finance.

Think about this season Celtic lost 3 games , got players in that other Scottish clubs outside us cannot do then went on a run that won them the League.

Next season I expect us to strengthen and then go on a similar run. You get the feeling that you would be almost playing the 4 Old Firm games to decide the League. The gap will get bigger with the other sides.

That is why we are described as a Pub League.

The question is would you support a gate split as we used to have , was it 10% of our home games go to the other teams, to enable them to sign a better standard of player than they currently do.

Thus making the League better and hopefully better weekly entertainment.

Thoughts ?

Ive been arguing for this for years.

There is no possibility of us moving to another league so the only solution is to fix the one we're in.

To create a more enjoyable, exciting and less predictable league we simply must share the limited resources more evenly.

In addition create an affordable and sustainable salary scale for all players therby reducing the chance of the best young talent moving for more money.

The result will be more competition and sport without competition isnt worth watching.

It will never happen the SFA are terrified of loosing their FIFA vote IMO it's the main reason they would never agree to a British League

If I owned rangers I would be meeting all the other big clubs from diddy leagues and try and form a new euro league. It will happen in the future I’ve no doubt.

The big clubs from Holland, Belgium, Portugal alongwith rangers and Celtic would instantly be able to compete with every league out with Spain and England.

I’d happily trade winning every other year for watching competitive football every week where both teams are trying to win a game
There is actually nothing preventing us from doing that is there?

Yes.
We have to use it our advantage though. Win the league next year and sail further away from the rest of the flotsam.

TV money drives football unfortunately. The only possibility of a positive structural change would be if SKY said they wanted an EPL 2.
Clubs by invitation only, based on attendances perhaps, and the invitation extended to us and them.
What SKY wants they generally get, this idea has been put forward before but didn’t get much traction.
Don’t see any other avenue for change.

Scottish football is utter muck.

Full of teams who play anti-football and fans who are more interested in one club (us) than their own.

I am of the opinion that within the next 10 years there will be European leagues created. We need to ensure that we are involved.

I think this happened in the late 80's and the gulf has grown since then. The fact a non OF team hasn't won the league since 1985 confirms this.

Pish. Bin this thread. People don’t like Scottish football and that’s fine for them.

But in al seriousness we are not exactly dominating season after season. What do folk really want? To move to a league with better teams where you need to take a mortgage to do away days?

Back