Have you ever been to a game involving them not against us?

Only once!
In the 70's I was persuaded by my then flatmate who was an Aberdeen supporter to go with him to Parkhead to watch them play celtc (Aberdeen end obviously).
Somehow Aberdeen won and we headed back to our local, Neesons on Alison Street where he was the token Dons supporter and I was the token bluenose.
We obviously kept the celebrations low key but later on in the evening somehow Simply The Best got played and after 7 or 8 pints of The Protestant Porter I concluded the song with a very loud FTP!
Not my most sensible decision as I got 50 shades of shite kicked out of me!
My conclusion?.....going to watch celtc is hazardous to a chaps mental and physical wellbeing!
;)

Not too sure how 'Simply The Best' got played as it wasn't released till approx 1993 and you said this was the 70's:)

Against Airdrie in Scottish Cup final, 95 I think. My mate was a big Airdrie fan and his Dad took us. Ended up on the TV when it panned to a crowd shot, they were already 1 up though so we all just looked glum ha ha

Once.

Saw Leeds Utd, my boyhood English team, beat them 3-1 in a friendly at the Piggery in 1976.

Was also at this with an English mate that was a big Leeds fan. Stood in the traditional Rangers end with a Leeds scarf on. Also a League cup final v the sheep which they won. Different times. Certainly wouldn't do it now as their scuminess has got worse over the years

Been to quite a few over the years watching Dunfermline play them and had some very memorable days/nights out.

Pars' first season in Premier League beating them 2-1 at East End and my Dad getting into scrap with one of them who was sitting in the wrong end.

Winning 2-1 at the Stadium of Secrets when Larsson was making his home league debut.

Winning 1-0 at same stadium - can't even remember who scored but I can be seen here at full time (fat git in blue and yellow tracksuit) celebrating getting it up them.

Drawing 1-1 at East End when they were trying to offer us hundreds of pounds as they were convinced they were winning the league that game. Celebrated Craig Faulconbridge's goal against them like an absolute madman.

Been on the receiving sides of some kickings too but generally Dunfermline did OK against the rats.

Probably get pelters for this.

Was at both the scum games against Rapid Vienna in 1984. First one at the piggery and the second one at Old Trafford. Had good reason to be at the first one. Second one was just a free day out. Me and my mate were the happiest guys in Manchester that day.

Been to one and one only. My other half is a caley fan. Went to the semi at Hampden where inverness won 3-2. Famous handball on line by Josh Meekings went unpunished and Graeme Shinnie playing a blinder for ICT to send them through.

Great day all in all although i have seen inverness win at hampden as many times as Rangers have over the last 5-6 years!

Nope, just couldn't, was invited to hospitality years ago by a member of our golf club, made up an excuse so I didn't offend him as he is a decent bloke but just couldn't sit with them.

Twice. Once when I was very young, one of the first football games I went to. Was staying with my uncle and auntie in Uddingston for the weekend and he supported them. My dad was not that into football, he preferred rugby. My Uncle had been given some tickets through a work customer for the piggery. It was against Aberdeen and pretty sure Davie Robertson gave away a pen. Never understood why my uncle liked them, good prod and worth a few bob.

The second time was much later in life and accompanied my father in law to see them drop points at Easter Road under Strachan, it was after the split and a big factor in us winning the league that year - most enjoyable.

My first ever football game was Celtic vs Aberdeen. My uncle took me and my cousin to the game. We had just moved to Scotland at the time so I'd never experienced any issues from them as the only Celtic fans I knew were my cousins etc. So my uncle came to pick me up and near shat himself as I was wearing my "football top" which to me of course was a Rangers top.

Had to obviously change my top before we went or id get lynched apparently. Was only 7 years old so I didn't have a clue. My dad was in the army so wasn't around to guide me or even prevent me attending the game in the first place. Still, it had no bearing on my choice of team, which I'm sure is what my uncle's goal was that day.

Never been to any other Celtic game outside of OF games since.

I went to a UEFA cup game at Parkhead in 2001 when they got knocked out by Valencia on pens. I can't remember exactly how I ended up going there but I think that a friend had a late call off and I was offered the ticket for free.

Also went to a Scottish cup match at Cappielow in 1999 (Morton are my local team). IIRC big Viduka scored his first goal for them

Twice… My Granda was a thistle fan and being from Maryhill at the time it was quite easy to get tickets for Thistle v Celtic at Firhill. My dads also a Celtic fan (I joined the good side thanks to my mums side of the family) and he won a competition for 2 hospitality tickets when they played inter Milan in the Europa League, think it finished 2-2 Craig Gordon making an absolute balls up of one of the goals :D

I went with my mate in the 90’s to a Hearts cup tie v them, he had a spare tckt, it was the Wednesday after Hearts had 4 players sent off at Ibrox, a very depleted Hearts team through suspension beat them 1-0 John Robertson scored in et.

Went to parkhead with the old man to watch them against Thirds around 1960 when Thirds had a very good team. Believe the score was 3-3.

We were in the stand and I recall the view across and over the "jungle" was of a cemetery- weird!
Also that the Eire flag was flying on top of the jungle roof - no Union flag to be seen!

At half-time there was a "mass " exodus from the stand of RC priests. Must have been close to a hundred - old man thought they all had free entry and were off for a half-time cuppa!

Been to quite a few Hearts v Them matches as one of my best mates is a big Jambo. There is certainly no love lost between them !!!

Quite a few Aberdeen v Celtic games in the 70's and 80's as I lived in Aberdeen. Aberdeen pushed them hard for the title in the 70's I remember and Celtic managed a draw near the end of a season to more or less win the title.
The most interesting one for me was when my parents, myself and brother were holidaying in the Glasgow area in the early 70's and my uncle lived in Greenock. We went to a cup tie at Cappielow and it finished Morton 0 Celtic 1. I could see a row of priests sitting in the stand.

Used to work on overflow car park at Brechin when at school and got in to match after we made sure no one would get out again... the unwashed won with a dodgy pen and a late second in the cup

Went to Tynecastle regularly as a kid. One game I remember was in 1993 with Hearts winning 1-0. Some of the songs would have seen Police Scotland chap your door now including a rendition of ‘Glory Glory what a hell of a way to die’ that went on for about half an hour.

Joe Jordan had been sacked as hearts managed and was at Celtic and a lot of abuse was aimed at him.

I was in Glenrothes for work in the late 90s and the company I was visiting had visitors over from their sister company in Tuscon Arizona, so they thought it would be a good idea to take them to a midweek game between Raith and Celtic.

It was actually really funny seeing the Americans reaction to the whole experience. First of all they were amazed that it was a professional football ground, they were comparing it to a college basketball arena in terms of size. Then they were in awe of the hatred the Raith fans had towards Celtic, plus when Celtic scored a handful of them celebrated in our section which was the home fans and it nearly went off.

It was actually quite an enjoyable night

Saw Liverpool beat the scum in the Champions League at Anfield, in the Kop. Can't remember the year. Work down in Southport and went with a mate who is a Liverpool season ticket holder. It was a drubbing 5 goals to 1, I think, with Mcmanamen getting a hatrick. Loved it. :))

Yes a pre season friendly celtic v spurs at the legodome , was in spurs end right enough , family members were up for game spurs fans and they had a spare ticket and spurs are my english team so i went
Was that July 98? Was at that game as in laws are massive Spurs fans. Unfortunately we were in the home end and saw up close what a stinking shower of bigoted in bred filth they are.

They won 2-1 but UI remember thinking how disappointed I was in how Spurs played that day.

When my dad found out that I had been to the Rolf Harris Arena he didn't speak to me for a week.

No. Offered hospitality to see them in Cup semi and also CL.
Wouldn’t have any interest and would have struggled not to celebrate if opponents scored which could have been awkward.

My Step dad is a Motherwell supporter.

He took me to a game against them at Fir Park about 90/91.

Some in the Motherwell end sung the Sash, and it finished 0-0.
Many times. I lived opposite on Springfield Road until I was 11years old. My pals supported them and when they went to watch them I’d head to the Rangers end and support the away team. Cheered on Ayr United, Morton etc, many a time. Eventually allowed to head to Ibrox on my own without my Dad when I was old enough..

Three times. All in hospitality.

First one was the "assault" on Lennon at Tynecastle by the guy who jumped the fence and swung and missed him - they tried to get him done on a sectarian charge, but that was flung out. Bizarre night.

Second was at the piggery when John McGinn scored twice for Hivs to draw 2-2. Third was also Hivs, but the tims won by a couple.

Was that July 98? Was at that game as in laws are massive Spurs fans. Unfortunately we were in the home end and saw up close what a stinking shower of bigoted in bred filth they are.

They won 2-1 but UI remember thinking how disappointed I was in how Spurs played that day.

When my dad found out that I had been to the Rolf Harris Arena he didn't speak to me for a week.
Yes mate was a shitey game to be fair

No, but my brother in law went to Dublin on one of their buses with his pals to a mhank game because he had never been to Ireland. Supposed to be a bluenose but when I have offered the use of my season tickets he has always been doing something else. Suffice to say I think he’s a bit of a prick

Out for a drink in Edinburgh a few years ago and they were playing Hearts, managed to secure two tickets for the Hearts end. They won 1-0 due to a goal in the last 10 mins.

Went home in a huff...

Yes quite a few:

Leeds United - European Cup
Leeds United - friendly
Hibernian - Drybrough Cup Final
Airdrie - Scottish Cup Final
Hibernian - Scottish Cup Final
Dunfermline - League game
Airdrie - League game
Benfica -European Cup
Kilmarnock - Scottish Cup semi
Dundee - Scottish or League Cup semi
Aberdeen - Scottish Cup Final.....

.....and others I can't remember at the moment.
ST holder lol

ST holder lol

Not quite.

Times were different then.

No social media.
The Anglo hatred of the Souness era hadn't started.
There was no Tartan Army
Rangers fans supported Scotland in their droves.
The St Aloysius Compliance Officers didn't exist.
No problems with songs.
Newspapers were more balanced.
EBT's and the witchhunt hadn't happened.
Title stripping was inconceivable.

Still couldn't stand them then. It's now on a different level. Couldn't go now.

This thread has been eating away at me , 'in the canyons of my mind', it's still a wee bit sketchy after some 50+ years but here goes -
There were 2 Gers supporters who met in high school. I was 'winchin' my future Mrs from Big Andra's village & he was winchin a lassie fae ma village out in the wilds of Midlothian (on the borders of Midlothian, West Lothian & Lanarkshire, now officially in West Lothian).
We'd been oot drinking & dancing in Edinburgh on the Saturday and can only guess the Gers won a place in the a Cup (don't remember which) but the Tims were playing the Sheep in the Piggery on the Sunday so Big Andra says,"I'll pick ye up". He was working in Halls in Broxburn & could afford a car.
Must have been in the spring, late 60's as the weather was actually quite nice. There we were, under the tin roof and standing in the 'damp' red blaze amidst the hoards :eek:
Don't remember the score or any players - we must have still been pished !

My fondest memory was @ Hampden, Scotland v England while we were in high school. The Hibbie, a Jam Tart and 2 Gers - there was Andra with his fist halfway doon the throat of a bloke with a black & white scarf on, for looking at him the wrong way :oops:

Last time I saw Big Andra we were hame visiting family, a Hibbie from high school had arranged a get together in the 'Halfway Hoose'. He was a staunch Bear with the heart of a lion, taken too soon to really enjoy his retirement.

Back