Hayley McQueen talks about her dad's struggles

Sad state of affairs for big Gordon McQueen that goal was indeed something special against England .

The PFA could and should do a lot more for players stricken by this Illness and other causes related to Football as Hayley rightly points out the recent medical findings after all are pretty conclusive .

For those not old enough to appreciate a big Ch or CF barging through for that Hollywood header think Mark Hateley of more recent times.

A trait often missed at set pieces nowadays in Football but when it happened it lifted a team sky high especially if it was a winner or getting you back into a game.
It would also be nice if those other bunch of miserable Bastards at The SFA to do something but I won't hold my breath on that one .

It’s becoming a bigger issue now as people are living longer and the effects of constantly heading the ball is becoming more apparent with more and more studies done.

I think to a certain degree FA’s everywhere are burying their heads in the sand a bit, possibly fearful of massive class action lawsuits, or just ignorance, I’m not sure.

But I think it’s now clear former professional footballers are far more likely to suffer brain conditions than non players, ie dementia, MND etc. and it’s clear as goalkeeper’s don’t have anywhere near the same elevated risk as outfield players, particularly defenders and centre forwards.

My dads dementia was associated with heading. He played juniors for most of his young adult life, with heavy balls and mud fields for pitches.
He spent his last 4 years in care, after my sister had done her very best to care for him at home.
My thoughts go to Hayley and every family member dealing with this horrible cruel illness attacking their loved ones.

There will come a point in the future where heading will be banned in football for doubters just look at how the NFL has changed with regard to potential head injury's

My father passed away on Friday with dementia that was linked to sport allbeit not Football

An absolute bastard of a disease.

Pretty much as soon as he was diagnosed 5 years ago he asked to be involved in a clinical study that when he passed, part of his brain would be donated to medical science to help them with understanding how this happens.

The sooner we understand more about this, the sooner appropriate measures and actions can be put in place to prevent

There will come a point in the future where heading will be banned in football for doubters just look at how the NFL has changed with regard to potential head injury's
I personally don’t think it will, it’s an integral part of the game, in the same way you can’t ban head punches in boxing.

But I definitely think they will be banned at kids levels when the brain is still developing, and concussion rules etc can definitely be tightened, ie an enforced longer period out, compulsory brain scans etc.

Plus a bigger fund should and could easily be set up to help ex players suffering from dementia, in the form of an extra tax on professionals.

Last edited:
Very sad reading about gordon he was a big hero of mine when he played I lost another hero to this bastard of a disease my mother it took her in only 3 months,don’t think enough people understand the feading issue of dementia once they lose thier ability to eat or even want to eat thier time is short as they lose too much weight and cannot fight infections specially pneumonia,hopefully his family can get some help but like my mum gordon probably hopes the nightmare would just stop.

Too young to see him play but memories of him was from his days as a pundit on Scotsport and doing co-comms with McNee during our 92/93 Euro run.

The PFA in England really are taking the piss given the money and assets they have.

Having first hand experience of this illness I feel Hayley’s pain.
The FA’s definitely need to be helping out more.
The lighter balls will help going forward but in big Gordon’s days and right up to the 90s kids and adults all played with the same water logged heavy balls.

My father passed away on Friday with dementia that was linked to sport allbeit not Football

Pretty much as soon as he was diagnosed 5 years ago he asked to be involved in a clinical study that when he passed, part of his brain would be donated to medical science to help them with understanding how this happens.

The sooner we understand more about this, the sooner appropriate measures and actions can be put in place to prevent
Best wishes FL

Having first hand experience of this illness I feel Hayley’s pain.
The FA’s definitely need to be helping out more.
The lighter balls will help going forward but in big Gordon’s days and right up to the 90s kids and adults all played with the same water logged heavy balls.
They actually don’t, the research has shown that ,though they are lighter, they’re now hit much harder then before.

Heart goes out to you FL.

Sorry to hear that mate.

I personally don’t think it will, it’s an integral part of the game, in the same way you can’t ban head punches in boxing.

But I definitely think they will be banned at kids levels when the brain is still developing, and concussion rules etc can definitely be tightened, ie an enforced longer period out, compulsory brain scans etc.

Plus a bigger fund should and could easily be set up to help ex players suffering from dementia, in the form of an extra tax on professionals.
Already banned at kids levels. Not allowed in training or matches. Had a ref give free kicks against our boys for heading the ball.

With the level of finance in the English game there’s no doubt they could afford a very generous benevolent fund for explayers who’ve fallen on hard times.

Even a 1% tax on all transfers over a £1m would raise substantial funds. Some of the top stars should be chipping in as well.

There are worse things than death. My old man died of cancer, from diagnosis to death it was 4 months.

You obviously don’t want to see your father die, but part of me was happy that it was so quick and we didn’t have to watch him deteriorate over years.

There needs to be a change in football with proper concussion rules being brought in. You might find the van on heading for youngsters will change the game once they filter through.

Great big guy met him a few times at Medda Park with his brother Iain who was a Meadow office holder in a few different jobs. Gordon told me he wished he could have played for Rangers and Kilbirnie Ladeside before he retired

That's because he's a Kilbirnie lad and a RANGERS man.

Sorry for your loss mate.

Condolences mate to you and your family. That's a great thing your father done right enough.

Sorry to hear this but good on your dad / family for allowing science to examine his brain.
Selfless and hopefully helps going forward

That was a sad read knowing how strong Gordon McQueen was for Club and Country. It's like he's been betrayed by the PFA Union.
It may sound small comfort due to the nature of this awful disease but i wish Gordon McQueen well. There's only so much Hayley and her family can do, I hope they are given the support they ask for.

Had some dealings with Gordon when he was St Mirren manager.
Lovely guy, and came across as a real gentleman. No Billy big bollocks.
Heart goes out to him and his family.

Yes, very sad to hear indeed. I'm old enough to remember watching Gordon playing at Love Street for St.Mirren against the likes of East Fife. Was a very powerful CH even then.
Me also.

I remember we beat them 4 nil at Love street August 1972 in the League Cup, it was a 2 legged affair, they beat us 4-1 in the return at Ibrox, was the days when early rounds of the League Cup were mini leagues of 4 teams. Big Gordon was definitely playing and I think maybe wee Archie Gemmill.

One of the great players from Scotland that dominated through the English Leagues back then
Remember the goal at Wembley and jumping round the living room.
All the best Gordon.

Don't you think banning heading of the ball would actually improve the game even more?

As in full focus on pass and move as opposed to long punts up the field and into the box etc. Might kill Scottish football a bit more short term as it's full of these types of players but long term it would be better.

Dementia is the cruellest way to go out of this world. Watching father in law fade away is the worst thing I have seen. The worst bit is the brief moments of lucidity where they realise what is happening to them and the terror and hopelessness that goes with that. Genuinely distressed me in a way I never thought possible.

Really awful disease. Awful for person but also for family especially carers.

My old man has been diagnosed with it.Very hard to watch.I wish Gordon all the best he was a very good player and seems a lovely man.Its a c unt of a disease .

Dementia is the cruellest way to go out of this world. Watching father in law fade away is the worst thing I have seen. The worst bit is the brief moments of lucidity where they realise what is happening to them and the terror and hopelessness that goes with that. Genuinely distressed me in a way I never thought possible.

Really awful disease. Awful for person but also for family especially carers.
An old manager of mine in work used to tell me about his mother who had dementia. He said the exact same thing about the hardest moments being when they have a brief moment of realisation of what was happening to them. He said she would say his or his fathers name and her eyes would fill with tears, the rest of the time she would sit in silence in the chair they had to help her into everyday.

The mental image that leaves me is absolutely heartbreaking. Between it and MND I can’t honestly think of anything worse.

Sorry to hear that

Don't you think banning heading of the ball would actually improve the game even more?

As in full focus on pass and move as opposed to long punts up the field and into the box etc. Might kill Scottish football a bit more short term as it's full of these types of players but long term it would be better.
It would definitely improve the game, it would take pretty radical reform though in order to ban heading I think.

They actually don’t, the research has shown that ,though they are lighter, they’re now hit much harder then before.
Sorry, but footballs are not lighter today.

Regulations.
1872 - 13oz to 15oz
1937 - 14oz to 16oz

Footballs are actually heavier now than 150 years ago. Also, University of Glasgow research found that wet footballs were less than 1oz heavier than whist dry.

Getting hit on the head or heading any ball causes brain damage. It’s the heading that does it, it doesn’t matter what weight the ball is.

More specifically, it is the acceleration of the skull caused by an external force that causes the brian damage.

There's plenty of research been done and the correlation between heading the ball and brain damage is now established.

However, this particular can is being kicked down the road by almost everyone including sports bodies. Having said that court action is beginning to be taken in various class actions. In a few years, in my view, it will be a major thing.

“The Glasgow Brain Injury Research Group (GBIRG) is based in the Laboratory Medicine building at the Queen Elizabeth University Hospital, Glasgow.

Led by Prof Willie Stewart, our group is engaged in studies investigating the biology and pathology of traumatic brain injury (TBI). Our research describes the range of pathologies that occur in people exposed to varying severities of injury from repetitive mild TBI (e.g. after a career in football, rugby, or boxing) to single moderate or severe TBI (such as after an assault or car accident).”

‘Heed the ba’ right enough.

Chris Sutton has been campaigning for concussion protocols to be changed, following his dads diagnosis.

Regardless of what we think of Sutton, it’s heartbreaking watching this.

I am no fan of Sutton but that is absolutely heartbreaking. Never seen that before

As mentioned above, my father passed away last week due to this disease. He was 58 years old and was only diagnosed 5 years ago. He was incredibly unfortunate that it was so aggressive as others who suffer the same could have it for decades and live their lives until they are old and frail. Watching him very quickly lose the ability to communicate, feed himself, dress himself and eventually loss of pretty much all motor function was heartbreaking. It was effectively watching him die in front of your eyes.

It really is an awful disease and not something I would wish on my worst enemy. The only saving grace is the person with the disease will be off in their own world and will not have any idea of what is going on. It’s the loved ones that have the heartbreak and tough time of it.

As for what needs to happen - change in some form or fashion does need to happen however I am really unsure of what can/could even change realistically. They think my fathers illness stemmed from sports, albeit not football as he was a judo player all his life.

I think the answer will more be in the understanding of root causes and it will help shape the future changes as opposed to simply putting in measures without really knowing if it will make any difference or not.

While I don’t think we will ever achieve a cure for Dementia, we must be able to better understand the root causes and take any relevant, preventative measures to mitigate or even stop the risk of developing this disease.

It will be in that root cause that measures can be rolled across sport in general as opposed to just football.

I also just wanted to take a moment to say that my PM’s are always open to anyone who has a family member, friend or anyone that they know who is going through this disease.

I am more than happy to answer any questions you may have or give any advice about the journey to anyone.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out

I am no fan of Sutton but that is absolutely heartbreaking. Never seen that before

As mentioned above, my father passed away last week due to this disease. He was 58 years old and was only diagnosed 5 years ago. He was incredibly unfortunate that it was so aggressive as others who suffer the same could have it for decades and live their lives until they are old and frail. Watching him very quickly lose the ability to communicate, feed himself, dress himself and eventually loss of pretty much all motor function was heartbreaking. It was effectively watching him die in front of your eyes.

It really is an awful disease and not something I would wish on my worst enemy. The only saving grace is the person with the disease will be off in their own world and will not have any idea of what is going on. It’s the loved ones that have the heartbreak and tough time of it.

As for what needs to happen - change in some form or fashion does need to happen however I am really unsure of what can/could even change realistically. They think my fathers illness stemmed from sports, albeit not football as he was a judo player all his life.

I think the answer will more be in the understanding of root causes and it will help shape the future changes as opposed to simply putting in measures without really knowing if it will make any difference or not.

While I don’t think we will ever achieve a cure for Dementia, we must be able to better understand the root causes and take any relevant, preventative measures to mitigate or even stop the risk of developing this disease.

It will be in that root cause that measures can be rolled across sport in general as opposed to just football.

I also just wanted to take a moment to say that my PM’s are always open to anyone who has a family member, friend or anyone that they know who is going through this disease.

I am more than happy to answer any questions you may have or give any advice about the journey to anyone.

Please don’t hesitate to reach out
For me the worst part is each time the person goes onto a different stage the carer, in our situation my wife grieves again and again for her Dad.

It is truely awful way to go feels like there is no end to it.

Back