Hearts’ Ann Budge courts clubs in bid to win support for reconstruction

Gio#56

Club owner consults across the four divisions

Hearts owner Ann Budge is holding in-depth discussions with Scottish clubs as she prepares to finalise her league reconstruction proposal – which will not be ready until Monday at the earliest.
The Edinburgh businesswoman had hoped to circulate her plan by close of business yesterday but is still consulting teams in all four divisions of the Scottish Professional Football League.
She feels she is making progress on a paper to offer an amended structure to help Scottish football through the coronavirus pandemic.

It will involve an expanded Premiership and keep Hearts in the top flight by increasing the number of teams from 12 to 14 or potentially 16.

Budge is speaking with clubs to understand their individual circumstances, financial challenges and concerns before finalising her document.

Monday is the earliest date that the proposal would be ready as Budge tries to ensure the plan is as robust and thorough as possible to give it the best chance of approval.

Hearts suffered an enforced relegation to the Championship on Monday when the SPFL board ratified the termination of season 2019-20.

League reconstruction is the Tynecastle hierarchy’s preferred option. In order to achieve it, Budge would need to submit a members’ resolution for a restructure to the SPFL, which would then require a vote from all 42 clubs. To pass, 11 of the 12 Premiership teams would be required to vote in favour as there would likely be changes to prize money distribution and, potentially, clubs added to the existing 42 SPFL members.

If there was no change in prize money distribution and no extra teams added, only nine top-flight clubs would need to say ‘yes’. Either scenario would also require approval from eight teams in the Championship and 15 in total across League One and League Two.

Hearts would be voting as a Championship side with their top-flight place taken by promoted Dundee United. Daniel Stendel, the Tynecastle manager, is not confident that Budge’s reconstruction plan will succeed. The German coach believes the voting process is stacked against Hearts.
“My experience tells me that the chance is not very big,” 
he said in an interview with German newspaper Frankfurter Allgemeine.

“Voting is complicated in Scotland. There can only be one or two votes against and it is usually the case in life that, in the end, everyone looks at themselves. But there is still some hope.”
Stendel is frustrated that the campaign was cut short with Hearts four points adrift at the bottom of the Premiership after a 1-0 loss at St Mirren in their final fixture before the shutdown. They had a further eight league games remaining before the SPFL took the decision to end the season early.
Stendel joined Hearts in December and instantly took to the surroundings at Tynecastle Park. “There are 20,000 fans – sometimes louder than 50,000 in Hannover,” he said.
His team beat Rangers twice and won a pulsating Edinburgh derby against Hibs at Easter Road, but he added: “Then you come to St Mirren and lose 1-0.”

16 is a non starter due to Sky deal

m8 the will go to sky offering an inverness derby, dundee derby, glasgow derby and edinbrugh derby all for peanuts, throw in free league sponsorship etc

All to stop this going to court which all stems from gifting celtic a title.

Our board need to get Stranraer onside NOW

A 16 split will still have 4 old firm games

It will never happen. Any reconstruction requires an 11-1 vote and it also requires reducing any cash you get from the league so self interest will absolutely torpedo this.

Budge will have to go to court, and I hope she does.

16 is a non starter due to Sky deal
Think the 16 idea included a mental split as well.
Something like play each other home and away. 30 games.
Then split top 6 and bottom 10 into mini leagues.
Top 6 plays each other twice again. Total 40 games.
Bottom 10 play each other once. Total 39 games.

Might be slightly incorrect but was equally bonkers :))

It will never happen. Any reconstruction requires an 11-1 vote and it also requires reducing any cash you get from the league so self interest will absolutely torpedo this.

They'll change the voting rules for that, mate. All for the good of saving Scottish football, naturally. The narrative is being set already by the media.

Hibs will vote No, We will vote No. United will vote No and we need 1 more from Killie, St Mirren and St Johnstone.

Not Happening

Hearts are not liked either in Scotland.

Celtic are champions so now they’ll do anything to avoid legal action

We dont need Hearts, we need STRANRAER. And we can raise all points needed in court.

Its not about turning decisions, its about forensic audit of the Dundee vote and we will get a public hearing of this.

You’re wrong mate.

I’ve summarised the Articles below.

A change to the League structure that involves a variation, up or down, from the 42 club figure or which involves a redistribution of the prize money - requires 90% approval from the Premiership clubs (11-1). It is classed as a Qualified Resolution. And 75% approval in each of the other two voting blocks.

However, any change that sees the number of clubs remain at 42 - however they are structured - and requires no change in the prize money would be deemed an Ordinary Resolution or a Members Resolution. As such it would require 75% approval from Premiership clubs, 75% approval from Championship clubs and 75% approval from the combined League 1/2 clubs.

Same as the Rangers Members Resolution recently.

If the clubs agree on a reconstruction model that sees the total number of clubs remain at 42 and no changes to the prize money distribution then it only requires the 75% approval from each of the three voting blocks.

They'll change the voting rules for that, mate. All for the good of saving Scottish football, naturally. The narrative is being set already by the media.
I thought that too, but surely changing the voting rules also requires an 11-1 vote to do it?
Don’t get me wrong, I agree with you that they will go to any lengths they think they can get away with to inconvenience us.

Hibs will vote No, We will vote No. United will vote No and we need 1 more from Killie, St Mirren and St Johnstone.

Not Happening

Hearts are not liked either in Scotland.

It was reported after the Friday meeting of top flight clubs that Rangers, the Dhims and Aberdeen were ‘amenable’ to the prospect of reconstruction. What wasn’t clear was whether they’d vote for a permanent proposal rather than a temporary one. I wouldn’t be certain Rangers would vote against.

It was reported after the Friday meeting of top flight clubs that Rangers, the Dhims and Aberdeen were ‘amenable’ to the prospect of reconstruction. What wasn’t clear was whether they’d vote for a permanent proposal rather than a temporary one. I wouldn’t be certain Rangers would vote against.

Rangers are in a tough position as we’ve consistently said through this that clubs shouldn’t be punished in this manner

If she goes to court she will be ripped apart, they should be relegated if the league has been called as it stands.

It’s corruption in front of our own eyes with no attempt to hide it.

There must surely be some dishes to wash or hoovering in the house.

Piss off, your out of your depth and an embarrassment to your club.

Thought the make it up as they like gang made it 9-3 now?

Rangers are in a tough position as we’ve consistently said through this that clubs shouldn’t be punished in this manner
Every other club is happy to f*ck us over to get what they want, so we should be doing the same.

Too late now to care about clubs being unfairly punished, let them deal with the corrupt they've been dealt.

m8 the will go to sky offering an inverness derby, dundee derby, glasgow derby and edinbrugh derby all for peanuts, throw in free league sponsorship etc

All to stop this going to court which all stems from gifting celtic a title.

Our board need to get Stranraer onside NOW

A 16 split will still have 4 old firm games
Stranraer were one of the most financially vulnerable clubs in the league system BEFORE Covid-19. Now they are up against the wall.
I don't know what help they would be to us but they face a fight for survival, they sure as hell ain't going to be going to court for anything.

Stranraer were one of the most financially vulnerable clubs in the league system BEFORE Covid-19. Now they are up against the wall.
I don't know what help they would be to us but they face a fight for survival, they sure as hell ain't going to be going to court for anything.

They said in their statement they would tag along with like minded clubs. They don't need to finance if its a joint case as we will cover costs and our legal counsel said this was an advantage to us.

We need stranraer to allow the forensic examination of the vote. As this is their grievance, ours remit is based on Doncaster.

Every other club is happy to f*ck us over to get what they want, so we should be doing the same.

Too late now to care about clubs being unfairly punished, let them deal with the corrupt they've been dealt.
Correct, she’s a total embarrassment.

It would not be in the least bit surprising if the proposed 14 teams in the top flight became 16 at the request of certain individuals to ensure Dundee were rewarded for changing their vote.

And no-one would utter a word in condemnation....not a peep

Back